Sony STR-DE885S

albo
Unregistered guest
Does the Sony STR-DE885S have a powered subwoofer channel. I have an existing Hometheater speaker package that includes a passive sub....can I use it with this reciever?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 300
Sure it does. Driving a subwoofer with most $300 receivers puts a lot of strain on the amp. But I imagine the subwoofer is not big and if your speakers are small satellites it should perform adequately for the type of system you have.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to be able to blast this system in surround format with the subwoofer on without getting some severe distortion and possibly some damage. But as long as you listen at sane levels you should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 369
I disagree. The STR-DE885S is a 5.1 surround sound receiver. The 5 main channels are rated at 100 W each. The subwoofer channel - ".1" - is not powered, and will not drive a passive subwoofer.

"...can I use it with this receiver?" The answer is probably "yes", but it depends on how the passive sub connects with the main speakers. If the sub really needs its own powered sub channel (some packages do, but they are uncommon), then the answer is "no".

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 304
John A is correct--sorry, I was looking at a 6 amp model. If you have this receiver you will need a monoblock amp for the subwoofer.

This is one of a few reasons why it is rarely smart to buy passive subwoofers. Another important reason to buy self-powered subwoofers is that "good" manufacturers usually mate an appropriate amplifier to the subwoofer that drives it to the limits it performs optimally.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 374
albo,

Gregory is correct, in general about passive vs. active subs. But passive subs are not necessarily a disaster: it depends on whether they are designed to be integrated into the whole system (which is yours?).

I have two passive subs from KEF which were specifically designed to extend the bass of their small, matched stereo speakers down from 70 Kz to 40 Hz. The whole combination (now out of production) is just great. I find an additional, active sub adds something extra for 5.1 surround sound, but the system works pretty well without one. Maybe your hometheater speaker package is similar?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us