Small system

darwin
Unregistered guest
ello
i wana get a new stereo system, prefferably surround sound, ws thinking about either the bose 1-2-3, (according to my mate its poo)or the sony dav-x1.
Dont wanta 5.1, cos my g/fs dog chews cables, (stupid dog will have a shock soon)
so which is better basically i can afford either so thats not an issue
any advice is greatly appreciated, does this 'virtual surround' thing really work???

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2027
Bose is a crock, the 1-2-3 system is absolute doggy poo at caviar prices, and "virtual surround" whether it's by Bose or anyone else, is another steaming crock of sh1t.

If you can afford the Bose 1-2-3 here's a much better idea:

Panasonic sa-xr55 all digital receiver, $230 shipped from amazon.com

Marantz cc4300 cd carousel, $142 shipped from accessories4less.com

Toshiba 3980 DVD player, $60 from jr.com

Athena AS-B1 bookshelves + AS-C1 center, $200 from audioadvisor.com

Hsu STF-2 subwoofer, $400 from hsuresearch.com

Now that setup would blow your Bose way out of the water.

darwin
Unregistered guest
what about the dav-x1, that looks better and cheaper???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2031
No, that's just a cheaper version of the Bose 1-2-3. Same cheesy joke of a "subwoofer" and same crappy plastic-encased boombox speakers.

About the only thing Sony still does well is tube TVs, their home and car audio stinks for the most part, they just live off their big name similar to the way Bose does, though Bose deliberately builds their name by marking up their products by 800%.

It's the gullible consumer who pays the price.

darwin
Unregistered guest
dont want to be rude, but ahve you actually listened to either of these, or is this your oppinion

Gold Member

Post Number: 2033
Actually not that exact model of the Dream System but I have heard other Dream Systems at BB. As for the Bose 1-2-3, yes a couple of my customers have them and it was positively horrendous. If you HAVE to buy either of those systems I would get the Sony and at least save some money.

Bose is the biggest joke in audio, that's why very few audio stores will carry them, just the big-box chains.

This is a good summary of Bose:

http://intellexual.net/bose.html

darwin
Unregistered guest
yes ive heard that about bose

thanks for the advice, i really wana fins someone who has heard one of these sony's

oh well

Gold Member

Post Number: 2097
Why not go to BB and listen to both yourself. Just make sure that you bring your own CD for the Bose system, because the Bose CDs that they always have are custom-EQed just for Bose gear.

darwin
Unregistered guest
hate to sound like a n00b but whats "BB"? and i always take my own cd anyway so thats not a problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2119
Best Buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2120
Looked at the dav-1 on pricegrabber.com, it does look like a Bose copy: twin 2" drivers on the speakers, twin 6" drivers in the alleged sub...well OK if you must have a tiny form factor then get it but I can guarantee you that there is no way in hell this housewife-eye-candy package is going to come anywhere close to the performance of real speakers, sub, receiver and disk player.

Just simple physics, especially where the speakers and sub are concerned.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2122
Now if you absolutely must have an all in one console, try this:

http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=YO&Product_Co de=NAD_L53&Category_Code=RX

I still think the Panny xr55 plus a dvd/cd player would provide superior performance though.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1135
Listen to Edster. He knows what he is talking about. Bought a Marantz on his recommendation (of course I did some independent research) and couldn't be happier. And believe me, I'm hard to please.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2159
heh Dale, have you taken that as your new moniker?

I've always liked to refer to my friends and myself as "mofos," in fact. Has a wonderful ring to it!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 573
Darwin -
Don't listen to anything Dale has to say. He believes he knows more about home audio than a world renowned electrical engineer who happened to design some of the best home audio products ever made.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1147
Darwin, taking advice from Stu Pid is about as wise as the farmer asking the fox how to guard the hen house.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1148
Edster, got the idea from one of my detractors in this forum. Who says the idiots don't have anything of value to add? I like the ring as well. Thanks a lot. Take care.

The MOFO has spoken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us