Denon 3805 vs Marantz 8400

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 29
Has anyone compared these 2 AVR's: Denon 3805 x Marantz 8400?

Typical end use:

60% DVD concerts (5.1);
30% Movies (comedies/adventure);
10% CD pop/rock music (on the DVD player).

Speakers: Ascend 170 fronts + 340C and Hsu sub.

BTW, what do I lose if I pick STF-1 i/o STF-2? I mean, what hides between 32 HZ down to 25 HZ in pop rock music and movies? My room is really small (1100 cu ft).

I got the 8400 on Ubid, but still not sure if I did the right thing because I wanted the Phono input which the 8400 "disgracefully" doesn't have.

I might even accept the Denon 2805... but the 8400 under $500 was an impulse buy. I will get more comfort if someone rationally tells me I'm much better off with the 8400.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 19
nothing wromg with the marantz. i missed out on it or would have bought it. i go the denon 3805 today. nice receiver. i will let you know on the sound.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
What about using one of these with the 8400?
http://www.audioreplay.net/index.html

Pat

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 33
A US$ 1300,00 MSRP receiver should have such $30 device built in, isn't it?

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 62
The Denon does: http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/photo.asp?s=home&p=AVR-3805&f=AVR3805%20Back.jp g&c=2

The Marantz doesn't seem to, unless you can use 'multi' for phono:

http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/Proddetail.asp?model=79&cat=15

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 167
Jorge based on your description of usage above (100% movies, DVD's and CD's) I don't see where a phono input matters. If it really matters to you then go with the Denon.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 170
Hmmm. I have the 3805. But the "Copper plated chassis with double bottom plate,
Massive energy power supply with huge toroidal power transformer, and Gold plated input/outputs" on the 8400 sound mighty tasty!

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Riches1 I think it's a case of grass is greener...

I have the SR8400 and love it, but I salivate looking at the back of the Denon 3805. LOL

patnshan
Unregistered guest
You said:
A US$ 1300,00 MSRP receiver should have such $30 device built in, isn't it?

Not really. Phono is archaeic (I know I will get flamed for that!) and is not what most people are using these days. I realize some people still cling to vinyl, as scratchy sounding as it is. I don't see any audio cassette inputs on these receivers either.

Pat

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
Precisely.

Instead I would have killed for for my SR8400 to have a $30(?) HDMI connector.

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 34
Stof, the breakdown of usage is from my HT system, but I also have a 19 year-old stereo system, including Phono and Tape Deck that I'd like to "retire". So, if my new system (with the Marantz 8400) had the Phono input, it could replace both my HT 5.1 and my old stereo.

Then Pat, I could keep my vinyls, since I did not buy all my old records in CD (I have much from the 70's and 80's) when I added my first CD player to the stereo, back in the early 90's. These new receivers do have a tape deck input. Thanks for the pre-amp device, nice indication.

Jet, I don't think we can use the "multi" jack, cause it's OUT (not input).

Anyway, I'd also like to know the comparison beteewn those receivers in terms of quality/build/sound, not only because of the Phono input.

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 63
Jorge- oops...yeah, I guess that would be a problem. It must have been those three letters, O, U, and T that confused me. ;)

Username: Sanmoreau

Post Number: 5
Jorge. Marantz does not include the phono input because they want you to buy their pre amp PM7200 Integrated Amplifier. Is a marketing move from Marantz witch I thing is a wrong move because instead of making more money they are losing clients who wants to have everything in the same receiver.
But let me tell you that what you've got and for the price, you've made a hell of a purchase I envy you.
Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1099
Jorge most AVR's do not have a phono preamp. As has already been pointed out you can pick one up cheap. The really cheap one would be equal or better than Marantz would have provided anyway. Look at this as an opportunity to pick up a better one. The Project or NAD phono preamps at just over $100 are very good values. The phono preamp in the Denon is not very good, certainly not worth getting rid of your Marantz. It's your money.

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 35
Thanks Art. It was just a matter of convenience. No big deal. I wanted to get rid of the old stereo receiver, keeping the turntable. I don't play my vinyls so often, but sometimes I want to listen to a song that I only have in LP. Anyway I am curious to know how the 8400 compares to the 3805, as a whole.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us