Archive through July 04, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4187

"Yes, good old Francesco, one of the best. ... Shame his mother couldn't hold on till 1685, though, like the others."

Another Italian ahead of his time.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2012
"Anyone know where I can find a gold star for John?"

Yes!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3239
Thanks, guys. I think Honor Blackman as P_ssy Galore wrote one off, in "Goldfinger", but I could be getting my Bond movies mixed up.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3240
"Well, we all know what happens next; don't we?"

No, not exactly. 1594?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4193

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!!

The man is on a roll!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3241
It is a full moon. Said moon is also unusually close, and low on the horizon.

Sorry, it was a BSA 650cc Lightning, and in Thunderball. Not a Gold Star, in Goldfinger. Wrong bike; wrong movie. I shall now go into hiding. How old I feel.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3242
http://www.matthewrobbinsphoto.com/goldie.html

Bronze Member
Username: Straight_up

Post Number: 44
FREE CABLE DESCRAMBLERS

www.descramblers4u.com is giveing away 2 free CABLE DESCRAMBLERS each month just go to there site and registar.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3245
I agree. Their guilt has not been established beyond reasonable doubt. They should have been acquited.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2014
John

RUALLRITE?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4219

I have to agree with John.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2015
Oh well, if you have to!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3248
My Rantz,

Yes, thanks! Not getting e-mail notifcations, though. Have updated profile. Too much, there, really. Had another birthday. Where's this Gold Star, then....?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3249
Mind you, Google has flipped. Semantic and context-sensitive be b_ggered. Any one else see this in the right panel of this page?

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1198
Keep an eye on that bunch 'ol dogs.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2018
Granted - some of we dogs could do with training. Happy B/day John and many more.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1072
A travel-weary week, but glad to be back. A full military funeral (very impressive!) at Ft. Logan national cemetery in Denver, then a totally unexpected funeral for a Chicago friend - then a shock when I found an old friend/colleague who'd just retired 18-months ago in a near-death condition with Lou Gehrig's disease. Awful, just awful. . .I fervently hope none of us dies that way.

Anyway - good to be home again, and to read what y'all R doing. John A. - congrats on your milestones! Mer and I are just one year ahead of you on the anniversary thang - and of course, I'm YEARS older than you are! (GRIN)

No tube amps or new CD players or speakers - so I'm in one of my "dull" phases. I'll try to keep up with all of your acquisitions, though!

And a fine weekend to all!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 354
Here ya go John
Upload

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3252
Thanks, all. And welcome back, Larry.

The latest SACD onslaught, for me, is "LSO Live", The London Symphony Orchestra's own label.
http://www.lso.co.uk/recordings/lsolive/

Their Shostakovich 8th Symphony (recorded last November; conductor Mstislav Rostropovich) is one of the best-sounding CDs I have ever heard, and the performance interesting and remarkable from every point of view. And yet, they promise:

The DSD process used for producing SACDs captures more of the nuances from a performance and reproduces them with a clarity and transparency not possible with CD. This pure and natural sound also has a much greater dynamic range than CD, allowing you to experience the full range of emotions and energy only previously possible in a live performance

....and so on.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4230

So you think they're suggesting CD isn't perfect? Actually I don't think CD ever promised perfect emotions.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3254
Aw, John, you shouldn't have....

A thousand thanks. I shall wear it with pride.

Jan, I don't care how it is done, but I definitely think we should release these captured nuances. What have they ever done to us?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2019
"I definitely think we should release these captured nuances. What have they ever done to us?"

John, it time for your enlightenment. Go forth with your billfold and make purchase of the wondrous machine that will liberate the nuances and you will discover it is not what they have done to us but what they will do for us. The next phase in musical nirvana awaits you.

Larry,

Welcome back. Sorry to read of all your bad news. Hope things settle down for Mer and yourself.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3256
Thanks, MR. Short interruption. Mrs A is posting somewhere, too.

The Girl in the Café

Houston Chronicle

IMDB

If it comes your way, watch it. Please. Brilliant at every level. If I read the pages above right, it is on "HBO" at 8 p.m/7 p.m. in US..

Click.

Click.

Click....

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1203
Larry,

I just wanted to welcome you and Mer back. Things have been hectic around the Barnes household lately. I'll fill you in when I have some real time. Stay well.

John,

A belated Happy Birthday my friend. How does it feel to turn 40? LOL! Cheers!

PS-The gold star fits you John.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1073
Rick B. - thanks - I'm sure things ARE a bit rough around the edges at your place these days, what with the prospects of a major upheaval and all! Been there - 53 times, starting when I was very young, and lived on Army posts. I remember EVERYTHING painted pea-green! Yuck!

Still going to the Orlando area? I'd love to help some, but I know little of the area. Sorry.

Respectfully to all. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3261
Rick,

Thanks. Kind of you to ask!

Let me see, now, turniing 40. Hmmm...

A quiet word. "Tube Talk" was great, and thank you. I am converted, as you know.

But I think the World is not ready, yet, for "Horn Talk". The robots are reading every word....

There are limits.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2485
John, Happy birthday there buddy!

Larry glad to see your back and feel for yu with all that's happened.

The rest of the dog's, yu know I love yu!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3266
Just to say "Hi" Kegger! And Thanks!

Nice post of yours on Tube Talk, but it needs no reply from me. I have just "upgraded" so am not ready yet to join the SET set. (My e-mail notification has stopped, too).

Keep up the good work!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 944
40 hmm, you're lucky I do the 45 thing on the 4th of July. Where does the time go. Next week I'll be vacationing in my usual place..Seattle. Love that city. Great audio stores, though I'm not sure there as good as Portland's. I like listening to the Wilson's at Definitive Audio.

http://www.definitive.com/

But for now it's off to work.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 488
John A.
(Another) Happy Birthday!! They sure seem to be coming fast and furious now days don't they?

Larry,
Welcome back. My thoughts are with you and Mer, and hoping things settle down now for you all.

Kegger,
Good to see you still poke your head in here once in a while.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1074
Kegger - thanks for the kind words. This forum is full of "class act" folk, which I certainly appreciate!
Art K - Yes - love Seattle! Slurp up a bowl at Ivar's Acres of Clams for me, OK? Still, it's hard to beat Portland - and "the" bookstore! Friends still push me to move out there, but my good wife says "no" to gray, misty skies. Sigh.

A new load of CDs coming from Amazon in a week or so, and will post reviews on "Discoveries" thread in Music, though it's probably not the sort of music y'all like (John A. excepted).

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3268
Art; No, I passed forty some years ago. Rick has this running joke about people passing forty. Kegger has it coming up soon, really, I think.

Larry; I look forward to your "Discoveries" posts. The MTT/SFSO Mahler 2 Two Cents liked is everywhere, and premium-priced; I think £27, here. Another SACD hybrid (What are we missing....?). I played my Blomstedt/SFSO 1992 version Decca CD yesterday and thought the sound was great. They had a Solti/LPO 1966 Decca recording on the radio today. It was badly compressed; you could just here them turning down the loud bits - on the recording, not the radio. Maybe the art of sound recording is improving in some genres like big orchestral music. See also my post June 25, above re orchestras and SACD.... Just to add balance, I have also listened to Sgt Pepper and "We will rock you", recently. I am enjoying my new-old stereo system.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 628
Welcome back, Larry. Very good to hear from you, despite all the sad news. You've been missed.

John A.,

The MTT/SFSO Mahler 2 is an outstanding recording, really reference level quality. The dynamics are probably the best I've ever heard on a recording. The range from quiet to loud passages is huuuge (as Larry can attest to), but still as not as convincing as a live performance.

The Solti recording of Mahler 2 from the 60's on Decca/London is outstanding for other reasons. The sound is warm and detailed especially on vinyl, the acoustical air and ambience are all there, and the soundstage is excellent. But you're right about the dynamics, which pales in comparison to the SFSO SACD.

Both performances are among the better ones imho. The Rattle/CBSO Mahler 2 unfortunately is all digital and even on vinyl sounds, er, digital. Bernstein's later account on DG is also outstanding and the sound isn't half-bad for a DG digital recording.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 957
I have the '63 Klemperer Mahler 2nd and enjoy it immensely. With Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Hilde Rossi Majdan it seems to have the right balance for Mahler. This really is Klemperer at his best.

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
Art,
cd or lp?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3271
Thanks, 2c. I nearly bought the Rattle/CBSO Mahler 2 yesterday, just to compare. I have their Mahler 1 and that is very good. SFSO under Blomstedt in Mahler 2 has outstanding dynamic range. Rattle is recording a new Mahler cycle with Berlin Philharmonic orchestra on EMI. Not sure they have done 2 yet. The Solti recording, which I heard on the radio, certainly had great soundstage and playing (quite 1960s - vibrato on trumpets and things). I just got annoyed at the engineer changing the volume all the time. The climaxes were turned down 6 dB or so, and had no power or intensity. What a thing to do to Gus!

Art; Klemperer? Schwarzkopf? You trump us all! Welcome to Old Dogs! Say "LP" and there are bonus points... Looking forward to your forthcoming promotion to "Gold"!

I still fall short of loving Mahler, but the symphonies are real challenges for recording engineers and playback equipment. Maybe I have not heard them as intended, and should go to a live Mahler concert... (Thread from Jan; Do you listen)

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 969
CD I'm afraid. I don't have a turntable. Next year perhaps. More on Mahler later, I'm late getting ready for work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 633
I haven't heard Klemperer's account of M2, but will seek it out. I give him credit for recording Mahler back in the early 60's. Very few conductors included Mahler in their repertoire at the time, unlike today. I recently picked up his Beethoven cycle from the same era. Definitely old school. Schwarzkopf belongs in a perfect world.

The Rattle/BPO Mahler 5 DVD-A is outstandanding in every respect. Performance, sound, and packaged with a DVD-V. I believe John A. tipped me off to this disc.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4264

"What a thing to do to Gus!"

Maybe he just didn't understand Gus. Misunderstood Mahler; now there's a concept!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3274
...probably Alma would have had something to say about toning down his climaxes.

Two Cents, thanks for remembering! My problem with that disc is that it has no two-channel. I find that if I set the player to mix-down 5.1 then everything sounds a mush, on all DVD-As. This is another reason I am weakening on the subject of SACD. Curiously, SACD is now touted as good (for example by Linn) because it is 5.1, not because it is Hi-Res. That's like saying the CD made stereo possible. I don't understand these guys.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 975
I have the Klemperer/Beethoven symphony cycle. I also have Kleiber's Beethoven 5th as well as bunch of others such as Harnoncourt, Walter etc. I have a couple Mahler 5th's that I enjoy but I'm at work and don't have access to them. I know that one of them is MTT on SACD. I really never enjoyed Mahler until a few years ago. I was lying in bed listening to this marvelous orchestral piece on KWAX (the local classical station) and I found it so compelling that I just had to go out and buy it. It was the Mahler 5th. That night for soem reason I just "got it". I'm still working on Bruckner.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4270

Start with the Bruckner 7th. After listening to that piece you will either commit suicide or think Bruckner might be interesting. Obviously I chose the latter.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2038
Well I purchased the DVD/DVD-A of Rattle's Mahler 5th on Mr A's recommendation. I quite enjoyed it for the first couple of listens (something different for me) but quickly tired from it thereafter. To me it had a 'soundtrack' feel - reminding me of Disney cartoons or the Roadrunner. I'll stick with my jazz, blues and some older R&R, but I'm still keen to find a couple of worthy hi-res clasiical discs - even if it is only for when I may need to breathe air higher than my status allows [grin].

We count our blessings this morning: severe winds and heavy rain brought down a huge tree beside our house. It wrecked only the clothes line, a couple of metres of fencing, fell laterally to the house and missed my car by three feet. At about 2.15 am Mrs Rantz woke in shock from the loud 'crack' and went to investigate. Not wanting to wake me because of my sleeping disorders, she let me be and informed of the news a few hours later when the alarm clock sounded. I didn't hear a thing!

I am now housebound until the rain stops and I can get to the mess with the electric chainsaw. Luckilly Mrs Rantz parked her car at our driveway entrance last evening because of the weather (the driveway often washes out with heavy rain). That's number 2

Number 1: I was told a couple of days ago that the remainder of my upper teeth have to go. A full upper plate is required and I'll have to keep my mouth shut from view for about a month before fitting the new plate. I'm only in my early fifties for Eric's sake - Great!

Okay number three - bring it on!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 977
Oh Jan don't misunderstand I own the entire Bruckner symphony cycle I just don't enjoy it as much as I do Mahler. Actually right now I'm a bit of an anglophile. The composer whose works I have really enjoyed of late have been Arnold Bax. I have his complete symphony cycles both on Naxos and Chandos. Wonderful music with great a deal of color and moodiness, love it. I'm home now so I can say that my other Mahler 5th is Karajan's "73 version. My Rantz, jazz and classical are my passion. I absolutely love Miles Davis. I'm sorry to hear about your teeth...ouch!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2044
Art,

Thanks - FYI: for Erik's sake - a running joke here from "Clapton is God"

Maybe I'll go and play "Kind of Blue"

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 490
Rantz,
Sorry to hear about the teeth. Hope all ends up well there. Word of caution - careful with that ax, Eugene, err My Rantz. LOL. No, really be careful with the electric chainsaw, stay clear of the puddles or it may really be tough to wake you from your slumber.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2045
Sem

LOL! Thanks mate! Yes I'll be very careful - especially at my age [grin]. There are things that provide many challenges in our lives. Actually event number three was most likely number 1 - it was virtually confirmed the other day even though there are more tests to be carried out - it seems my father has alzheimers (which we have presumed for a while now) so there will be much to be done very soon to organise care for my parents. My mother, with her many disabilities, will in no way be able to care for him let alone herself. Perhaps my brother was a little perceptive in living a few thousand miles away. Old age should not be a punishment for living - what's wrong with our world? Okay, I'll stop the whining, we can at least thank Eric for the music.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3277
My Rantz,

Please accept my condolences, too. Also, Sem is right - those are dangerous gadgets. But you will know what you are doing, I am sure. Unlike Eugene. Find a less serious number three! As I said before, Mahler is jumping in at the deep end.

Art,

Interesting to read that. I have a couple of small-scale things on record by Bax, but don't think I have ever heard a symphony. He has devoted fans and a even society, I remember, but I thought he was not "international". I read that Mahler was obscure and hardly ever performed, or recorded, until the 60s. Time for a Bax revival...?!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2047
John

Thanks - re Mahler, I still listen occassionally but only in small doses. Yes, I know there is much more classical music to enjoy, but this thing called time . . .

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1000
Well fella's with all the crap that happens at various places on this site I wanted my 1000th post to be here. This is one place where civility doesn't seem to have gone out of style. Long live this thread. Cheers!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2494
Congrats Art we have gotten our gold members blessed here, one more post and you got it!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1224
Congratulations Art!!! Welcome aboard.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1003
Thanks Kegger.

John a good place to start that Bax revival would be with with his sixth symphony performed by the RSNO conducted by David Lloyd-Jones on the Naxos label. Fantastic performance attractively priced. I love the Naxos label. It's affordable price has allowed me to explore so much wonderful music that I probably could not have afforded otherwise. If your careful you can find performances that equal or surpass many on the Hyperion and Chandos labels. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of recordings from those labels as well, but Naxos is wonderful to have around.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1004
Oops! Our posts crossed, thank you as well Rick.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2053
Art

Congrats on the Gold status. Yes, we are reasonably civil here. It's rare for the old dogs to bare their teeth at each other - for those who still have a few!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1007
LOL!! Sorry My Rantz I know it really ain't funny. Thanks.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3293
Art,

Congratulations!

It feels good to have you here. Wish I could shake your hand!

There are some serious trolls screwing up other nice threads, right now. They have tried on this one, and failed. So far. Let us keep it that way. But always welcome new, honest contributors!

I agree completely about Naxos. Thank you for the recommendation. I will get the Bax Sixth Symphony and report back. It may take some time, but I shall not forget. You know, with the price of Naxos, we could have a sort of "listening" thread - like people who decide all to read one book, and then discuss it. Ideally, it would be something few people have heard before. Anyone else care to try Bax Six?!

MR,

The bark is often worse than the bite. And more effective. Keep barking!

All the best.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1009
Thanks John. The "listening" thread sounds cool. Thanks to Naxos I have at least a couple hundred rarely heard pieces.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4296

I'll look for the Bax this weekend.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 355
John, I asked you about Bax a while back on Discoveries. I'll get the Symphony No. 6 soon. (Naxos 8.557144 David LLoyd-Jones/Royal Scottish NO)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1225
Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know it's time for me to drop under the radar for a little while. I will be dropping in from time to time to make sure you are all playing well together. LOL! If anything earth shattering happens, please send an email. You are all invited to Orlando when the Barnes clan gets there. Stay well.............

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2056
Rick,

Free Disneyworld passes too? LOL!

Good Luck with the move. You and yours stay well also.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4299

As above.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 491
Good luck Rick. Dress for the weather, it is soon July. Should be clear sailing as most of the traffic will be fleeing the sunshine state this time of year I would guess. 90's and high humidity is not my cup of tea. January, on the other hand......

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3295
JOHN S;- Yes, you did. I remember, now! Thanks!

I think I had "Tintagel" on LP once. I remember getting a bit put off by the new "New Age" sleeve note about Arthurian legends and such.

How shall we do this? Seriously? Start a thread under "music" called "Symphony No. 6 of Arnold Bax"? That'll stop 'em in their tracks! Start a new category somewhere called "Hearing it for the first time"...!? "Discoveries" was good. Is Ghia still in radio contact?

I've thought of a couple of things to nominate, but let's take it one thing at time.

BTW, about Naxos; 1. the Maggini Quartet are ace, in my opinion, whatever they play. 2. Naxos DVD-As are really good, cheap, and how I got into DVD-A. They have only recently started issuing the came catalogue on SACD; I think they can see which way things are going.

Thanks again Art!

Rick, Good luck! Keep in touch!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3296
"the came catalogue" should, of course, be "the same catalogue". Sorry!

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 283
Hello Old Dawgs!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2496
Hello back at yu SM!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2066
SM

Well Hi! You teasing us again?

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 284
Hey Kegger! Hope you are doing ok. Hey MR! Remember that old song....

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth, see my two front teeth.
Gee, if I could only have my two front teeth,
Then I could wish you "Merry Christmas."

It seems so long since I could say,
"Sister Susie sitting on a thistle."
Gosh, oh gee, how happy I'd be
If I could only whistle.

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth, see my two front teeth
Gee, if I could only have my two front teeth,
Then I could wish you "Merry Christmas."

Sorry....just teasing again. ;-) Glad to hear the tree didn't hit the house, though!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2067
As Elvis said SM, "Don't be cruel . . ."

LOL!

Anyway, still got the front teeth plus a few others, but not for long :-(

Yes, we were lucky with the tree, I have just now come back inside, puffing and panting! The tree is still too sodden for the chain saw and I have been using a hand saw - hard work but I need to clear space to get may car out of the driveway - oh great, it raining again. We have had the worse rain for a hundred years. Oh well, forced rest. Pleased to hear from you - so, have you bought any new audio gear lately? LOL!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1017
Yes John the Maggini's are quite something. Their Vaughan Williams disc is especially good. So what would be a fine yet repulsing name for such a thread?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4309

"Bax Scores"

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1026
Some folks might think that's a football score!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 356
"Bax Scratches"

Seriously, Ghia's "Discoveries" thread is on the right track for this concept. Maybe a new thread is appropriate...John, your idea of "hearing it for the first time" could be it.

SM:
Maybe you noticed Uma Thurman driving a powder blue Karmann Ghia Cabriolet in Kill Bill Vol. 2?

MR:
The other day, I was bragging to my dentist that I have never spent a day in a hospital and his comeback was "Too bad you haven't had better luck with your teeth." Larry R, as I recall, went through some serious dental work recently, and I'm close to the same thing. My thoughts are with you and I wish you no pain. :-)

A series of violent Summer storms in my neighborhood has me worrying about water management around my house. I doubt if sub-ground level rooms (basements) are common in Queensland, however, my HT/listening room is there and I worry every time the rain comes down in sheets. So I can understand your concern about storms.

Art:
I must agree, even though Bruckner is a real contemporary of Mahler, in time and style, his music is not as exciting.

Rick:
Good luck with your new career in Orlando. Goofy has been my favorite Disney character since I was a kid, and I know you'll do a great job in that costume! LOL!

I'm getting the Bax 6th tomorrow.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2071
John S

Thanks, much appreciated. I am getting conflicting opinions about what's best for my mouth - it seems "all teeth out" will be the result though! Now I just have to work up the courage - not for the pain, for the indignity.

I hope your basement walls are well tarred. I don't know anyone who has one here, but I'm sure there are a few well healed folk that will have one for their cartons of Penfolds Grange.

Enjoy Bax 6th - I'm expecting some new titles from the US any day. But nothing classical :-)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3298
Art,

I agree, again, on that Vaughan Williams Maggini disc! It was one of the things I was thinking to nominate, next time round. The slow movement of that "Phantasy Quintet" is, to me like a beautiful arch in some classical building. I recommended it to Larry, I think on "Discoveries", and he said it was too modern, if I remember. Also, that disc has superb sound quality, in my opinion.

John S,

Yes "Discoveries" was great (started by SM, then called "Ghia Cabriolet", Art....) But you mentioned Bax on The twilight of the CD...? which was started by Two Cents, I believe.

MR,

I am opposed to genres, as you know. Let us make a rule that the disc can be from any genre, must be a seriously good recording, and should not cost more that £5 or equivalent. Naxos retail at £4.99, here, or five for £20. This category is called "super budget" by Gramophone and Cd review. What is that in US$? (The Naxos DVD-As are £9.99 in one major store, £10.99 in another. That is a lot cheaper than most CDs).

SM,

Welcome! Any introductions required? May I divulge to newcomers such as Art that you are a "she". There was a confusion on another thread recently....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1034
My Rantz

What kind of jazz do you like? I have a whole lot of new jazz music. Everything from Don Byron to Dave Douglas. I love my jazz. Lately Dave Douglas and Tomasz Stanko have been getting a lot of play around here. I also find myself listening to a lot of vocals lately. Just got a couple Tierney Sutton discs as well as Cassandra Wilson.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Post Number: 61
Hi to all

Nice to know that all thread dogs live, kick and bark.

SM
I thought you abandoned the forum. I am happy to see you again. Is anything new with your system or music preferences?

John A Larry R
I happened to do tests with NAD T760 surround receiver for our opera club at my home with four speakers. Sorry to tell you but I prefer my NAD C350 on stereo mode. These are my personal conclusions and feelings.

Art Kile
Are you Mahler enthusiast?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1036
Love Mahler!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2072
Art,

My tastes cover jazz-blues, blues, jazz, and rock. Titles we listen to are too numerous to list but a few jazz examples - Barb Junger, Dianne Krall, John Pizzarelli, Grover Washington Jnr, Spyro Gyra, Soncho Panchez, Georgie Fame, Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, Peter White, Dave Grusin . . . .

Long as it gets my toe tappin'

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3300
Asimo,

Welcome, too! Do you prefer the T760 in two-channel to the T760 in four-channel? I am not sure if you are comparing formats or amps.

I have regressed to two-channel since we last communicated, here, I think. But I have changed my speakers and my amplifier. My T760 is resting, along with the extra speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1038
Just picked up 3 Monty Alexander's. "Rock Steady" with Ernest Ranglin, "Impressions in Blue", and I have "Live at the Irridium" coming by mail. Have you heard any Cassandra Wilson? Fantastic artist saw her last year in Eugene, unbelievable rhythm section. Teri Lynne Carrington on drums...nuff said. In February saw "Directions in Music" which is a project put together by Herbie Hancock. Fantastic concert.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3304
We have discussed many things on this thread, and sometimes wandered off into issues such as World trade, poverty; apart from music, performers and performances.

I've just looked briefly over the whole forum, and see no reference anywhere to open-air concerts, today, around the World, at these venues:-

UK -- Hyde Park, London
Edinburgh - Edinburgh 50,000 - The Final Push
Cornwall - The Eden Project.

France -- Palais de Versailles, Paris

Germany -- Siegessaule, Berlin

Italy -- Circus Maximus, Rome

USA --Museum of Art, Philadelphia

Canada --Park Place, Barrie

Japan --Makuhari Messe, Tokyo

South Africa --Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, Johannesburg

The Russian Federation - Red Square, Moscow

Let me paste in the London line-up, too. We had some Pink Floyd fans, here, I remember.

African Children's Choir
Annie Lennox
Bob Geldof
Coldplay
Dido
Elton John
Joss Stone
Keane
Killers, The
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Ms. Dynamite
Paul McCartney
Pink Floyd
Razorlight
REM
Robbie Williams
Scissor Sisters
Snoop Dogg
Snow Patrol
Stereophonics
Sting
Travis
U2
UB40
Velvet Revolver

Isn't this a remarkable concert?

Any views?

http://www.live8live.com/

I shall post this, too, on "Discoveries".

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3306
I decided, instead, to start a new thread, under "Music":-

Live 8 Concerts

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2075
Art

I heard some Cassandra Wilson 'samples' on-line and I will be making a point to do some listening on my next visit to my record store. She has an sacd tribute to Miles I could be interested in as well.

John

Thanks, good comment re live8.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4318

The commentators on CNN (US only version, they don't want none of that furren' stuff arriving on our news programs) were going to discuss with Geldoff the reasons why so few African artists were going to join in a concert meant to aid African poverty. It was very early over here and I'm not sure I was awake enough. The general impression I came away with is nobody who has cash to give would listen if there were too many African artists. Did I hear this reply correctly? Did anyone else hear this interview?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2077
I didn't think cash was the intent.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4324

Rantz - Cash is always the intent.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4325

1578 - Martin Frobisher sights Baffin Island.

And no one thought Mrs. Frobisher's little boy would ever amount to anything.

1776: By constitutional statute, New Jersey gave "all inhabitants" of adult age, with a net worth of $50 and residing in the county for 12 months, the right to vote in the general election. In 1790, someone realized it meant both men and women. The law was legal until 1807, when the General Assembly passed new laws, limiting the vote to "free white males."

Strict constructivist judges are everywhere.

1777: Vermont becomes first state in what would become U.S. to abolish slavery.

Does Vermont get to do everything first?

1819 - The Factory Act is passed in Britain, creating restrictions on child labor.

"You must be this tall to work 80 hours a week."

1822: Denmark Vesey and 34 others hanged for plotting a slave uprising in Boston. As was usual in such trials, the greatest protection enjoyed by the defendants was that of their owners, who were concerned for their property.

If only this had been Vermont. Location, location, location.

1843: An alligator falls from the sky during a Charleston, SC thunderstorm.

There's nothing more humorous that I can add.

1872: Second Colville Indian Reservation created in eastern Washington when white pressure forces original reservation, on better land, to be opened to white farmers.

Emminent Domain, anyone?

1881: While waiting for a train in a Washington railway station, Pres. James Garfield is shot by a disappointed office-seeker, Charles J. Guiteau. Two months later, he dies from the wounds.

Garfield that is. Guiteau was hanged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Guiteau

1908: Thurgood Marshall, first black U.S. Supreme Court justice, is born.

And no alligators fell from the sky?!

1910: Jean-Jacques Liabeuf executed. French shoemaker guilliotined despite massive protests initiated by the @narchists. Gustave Herve, the revolutionary socialist and publisher of "The Social War," got four years in prison for merely writing articles defending Liabeuf.

Bob Novak, however, went scott-free.

1925: Birth of Patrice Lumumba, Katako, Kombe, Belgian Congo. Widely admired across Africa after his work for independence, he is assassinated by the CIA on Pres. Eisenhower's orders because of his anti-colonialist activities.

Ike did let him grow up. He's not cruel you know?

1937: Role model, aviatrix Amelia Earhart, and co-pilot Frederick Noonan, vanish on around the world flight, near Howland Island in the Pacific.

Bullshit! Rumsfeld knows exactly where they are.

1947 - An object speculated to be a UFO crashes near Roswell, New Mexico, though the United States Air Force claims it is a weather balloon.

What, not an alligator?

1956: Nine injured when two explosions destroy a portion of Sylvania Electric Products' Metallurgy Atomic Research Center in Bayside, Queens, New York City.

This led Sylvania to cut back on vacuum tube production which led to the transistor being introduced mere months later which led to Sony importing tiny radios into the U.S. which led to cheap amplifiers which led to home theater ... It's all a game of dominoes.

1959: "Plan 9 From Outer Space," one of the worst films ever, premieres. Quickly followed up by the sequel, "Windows 95."

That's funny enough as is.

1961: Great Britain dispatches troops to protect Kuwait from "aggression."

Wouldn't you think the Kuwaitis would have built a bigger fence by now?

1961: Iconic American writer Ernest Hemingway, alleging CIA persecution, blows his brains out with a shotgun in Ketchum, Idaho.

Thus starting an Ernest Hemmigway impersonator industry that continues on to this day. Just last week the Weekly World News reported Ernest and Elvis were working together at a Dunkin' Donuts in The Bronx.

1964: President Johnson signs Civil Rights Act barring discrimination in public accommodations, employment, and voting.

"Slowly we turned ... step by step ..."

1967: Congress passes Selective Service Act reform: ends graduate student deferments, placing them instead them in a pool to be drafted in June '68.

And "W" heads to the Arkansas National Guard to serve his country.

1967: Floyd Turner is convicted of flag desecration & sentenced to six months in jail and a $500 fine in Seattle. Credible witnesses, including scuptor Richard Beyer and publisher Stan Stapp, testified that Turner was not the culprit, and @narchist Stan Iverson willingly confessed that he had incinerated the flag with another man (later identified as Michael Travers). Judge Manolides was unpersuaded, declaring that, "@narchists cannot tell right from wrong and cannot be trusted."

Smart guy that Judge Manolides! John, write that down!

1976: U.S. Supreme Court rules death penalty not inherently cruel or unusual. In short, nothing is.

Slowly we turned ...

1976 - North and South Vietnam, divided since 1954, reunite to form the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.

What is the sound of two dominoes collapsing together?

1982 - Larry Walters uses 45 helium balloons and a lawnchair to propel himself to 16,000 feet.

No word on how Larry got down.

1986: U.S. Supreme Court upholds affirmative action as a corrective measure for past discrimination.

step by step ...

1990: Australia: Two citizens divert war taxes as "rent" for aboriginal lands.

Oh, those Aussies! Today they would have taken advantage of a pre-owned leasing program with 0% down.

1990: Former dictator's wife Imelda Marcos, along with notorious arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi, found not guilty of racketeering.

Yeah, and they arrested Al Capone on tax evasion not racketeering.

2002 - Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo around the world nonstop in a balloon.

Hopefully he had a better landing than Larry.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3310
Jan,

That "objection" has also been levelled at Geldof over here. The question was why is there is a whole "African music" concert down in Cornwall (See "Eden Project" venue), not mixed in, at Hyde Park. I can't see the point, myself: the aim is to get the famous and influential to spread the word in G8 countries and the World in general. It is not a charity concert: it is political. See

http://www.live8live.com/whatsitabout/index.shtml

My Rantz, thanks for the early comment on "Live 8 Concerts". I agree. Let me leave some space for views different from ours.

I have Hyde Park on the TV. It is good; learning some things. I liked Annie Lennox.

Apart from walk-ons by Kofi Annan and Bill Gates, they beamed Will Smith in from his speech in Philadelphia. It was powerful stuff. He clicked his fingers every three seconds, just like in "The girl in the café". This is an organised political lobby on a grand scale. All strength to them, I say.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3311
What, no Battle of Trafalgar?

Have Bax Six, thanks to Mrs A who actually enjoys shopping. Thanks again for the recommendation, Art.

Will try to listen tomorrow. I'll set up a new thread under "Music" and put the link here. We really need a new category "Hearing it for the first time" or whatever, so there is room for different genres and recordings. "DVD-Audio & SACD" was our suggestion to admin. I'll maybe try that route, too.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3318
New thread on this forum, under "Music":-

Arnold Bax. Symphony No. 6

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3320
A Trojan Horse in the A. household: The Rolling Stones, Singles, The London Years. Hybrid CD/SACD, unknown to the purchaser, who thought it was a set of CDs. The set must be called something else (?) on the US web site: http://www.abkco.com/ The CD layer sound pretty good. It's in mono, too, of course. Getting SACD just to play these would be crazy, no?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4334

We have met what's crazy, and he is us.

Apologies to Pogo (one of the best cartoons ever) and to Mr. Walt Kelly hizself.

http://www.igopogo.com/we_have_met.htm

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3333
International Herald Tribune Live 8 rocks the globe

After all our discussions on this thread and others, I am just puzzled by the deafening silence. Most posters here like rock, and have views on bands and concerts. Are they asleep? Am I on another planet...?!

Here is the open letter from the Live 8 organisers, published on Saturday in the UK Times and Independent newspapers, who provided the space. Hardly the fringe radical press!

July 02, 2005

An open letter to the G8 leaders

Tony Blair UK
George W. Bush US
Silvio Berlusconi Italy
Jacques Chirac France
Junichiro Koizumi Japan
Paul Martin Canada
Vladimir Putin Russia
Gerhard Schroder Germany

Hi guys.

Just so we're clear . . .

The Live 8 concerts that are happening this weekend will be a wonderful musical occasion. But despite the fact that the world's greatest popular musicians are playing -- they are not the stars of the show. The 8 of Live 8 are not 8 musicians or bands -- they are you, the 8 leaders of the G8.

Let this be absolutely clear before the first note is played. Everyone taking part in these concerts is there because the many generations watching will not tolerate the further pain of the poor while we have the financial and moral means to prevent it.

We are gathering for you the largest mandate for action in history. Just as people demanded an end to slavery, demanded women's suffrage, demanded the end of apartheid -- we now call for an end to the unjust absurdity of extreme poverty that is killing 50,000 people every day, in the 21st century, Live 8 is taking place so that you, our elected leaders, right now, in 2005, make the breakthrough demanded by, amongst others, the Commission for Africa, in the battle towards making poverty history. You know what needs to be done, specifically:

On Aid: Deliver an extra $25 billion aid for Africa and make plans to ensure this aid really will be effective at eradicating poverty. This must stand beside a further $25 billion for the other poorest countries of the world. This is the absolute minimum required to begin to win the battle against extreme poverty.

On Debt: Confirm the 100% debt cancellation from the G8 finance ministers meeting and commit to 100% debt cancellation for ALL the countries that need it and remove damaging economic policies that are imposed as a condition.

On Trade: Make decisive steps to end the unjust rules of trade, and allow poor countries to build their own economies, at their own pace. It is only through trade that Africa will eventually beat poverty on its own.

Let it be equally clear -- That at the same time, African governments must be free from corruption and thuggery and put in place recognised practices of good governance, accountability and transparency towards their own people and to the world.

Twenty years ago at Live Aid we asked for charity. Today at Live 8 we want justice for the poor. The G8 meeting next week can take the first real step towards eradicating the extremes of poverty once and for all.

We will not applaud half-measures, or politics as usual. This must be a historic breakthrough.

Today there will be noise and music and joy, the joy of exuberant possibility. On Friday there will be a great silence as the world awaits your verdict.

Do not disappoint us. Do not create a generation of cynics. Do not betray the desires of billions and the hopes of the poorest of our world.

Are those 50,000 people each day to be allowed to live, or not?

Everyone at Live 8.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3335
Also on the thread, here:-

Live 8 Concerts

Still no takers....?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2085
John,

We don't want takers!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2087
THEY came out of charity. They left with booming record sales.

The galaxy of rock stars who took part in Live 8 concerts on Saturday to help beat the curse of poverty have seen their records fly off the shelves in British music stores, proving that cash balances as well as consciences were the winner.

Full Story: http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,15827485-10431,00.html

So charity does begin at home.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3339
"Live Aid" was charity. "Live 8" was not; it was politics.

Thanks for the link, MR. Sem and others will be interested in the photo. I was!

I treasure "Pink Floyd's Echoes album posted a staggering 1343 per cent increase in sales on Sunday compared with the same day a week ago."...... "Next came The Who's Then & Now, with an increase of 863 per cent, Annie Lennox's Eurythmics Greatest Hits (500 per cent) and Dido's Life For Rent (412 per cent)."

Well I'll be staggered.

Some context from the same paper: "Live 8 hits mark".

http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,15808060-5000560,00.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us