I realy need help with speaker

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 18
well i have yet another prob i need help..im all new to this home theatre stuff..neways here it is ...i have a harmon kardon avr330 reciever and athena asb2 and asc1 centres and p300 subwoofer...wen im waching a movie i get great bass wen the receiver is set to the VMAX mode but wen i put it to the dolby digital mode the bass goes away alot..i like the way the dolby digital mode sounds better cuz with the VMAX mode i only get 2 channels and the other i get all 5.1 sound but bass almost disapears though ...is this normal for that to happen....i bought my reciever open box so it had no manuel to it ...please help so i can use the 5.1 mode but with good bass like the vmax gives me

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 163
Maybe,you should check all your connections first.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 19
well i checked that ..even if i did have bad connections i still got good bass from the vmax mode...but i realy want the 5.1 mode bett to get the surround sound

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1167
You should be able to go to the HK website and download their manual, that's what I'd do.

Your bass management settings and speaker settings are probably off, Dolby Digital should give you more not less bass than VMAX.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 170
It does seem like its your bass management.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 205
"is this normal for that to happen?"

Yes it is.

5.1 surround and 5.1 stereo are two different configurations;

5.1 surround has a subwoofer channel designated just for bass (.1) it separates all the other frequencies and therefore the .1 channel uses all of its power concentrated on just the sub harmonic frequencies.

5.1 stereo is stereo mode plus a subwoofer. The subwoofer in this mode is designated just like the surround mode except the signal is split differently. So now you get a huge loss in the bass section, due to the split.

Why?

Surround is for home theater. In surround sound recording; the microphones are a lot farther away from the source (so that the camera doesn't capture the mic in the picture). Therefore, in Mastering, the signal is boosted so that it may be audible during playback.

In stereo mode recording; the mic can be plugged in-line, as close as 2" from the source (tympani drums/acoustic bass), or even be used as an area microphone, recording the entire set.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 523
I took Art Kyle's advice and hooked the subwoofer up from my HK AVR430's left/right pre-out jacks into the filtered left/right jacks of the subwoofer. I then set the sub to "None" and the fronts to "large." With the subs X-over set to 80Hz I now get great bass response in all formats, especially in Dolby Digital/DTS where the floorstanders and the sub both play everything including the LFE track. Since my sub could be better (Polk PSW404), the fronts support the sub with added detail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us