Marantz SR5400

jimrobertsusa
Unregistered guest
Is anyone using this receiver? How loud do you push it, I didnt want to push it too hard. I get it up to -10 and it doesnt seem loud enough, can I push it further?
It also gets very hot, is this normal?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2059
+18 I think is the maximum if you don't increase the loudness in the speaker/surround set-up variables. Make sure the unit has plenty of breathing space around it and don't use low impedence speakers (6 - 8 ohms okay).

I have an SR-7300 and in hot weather I use a small low voltage computer fan to draw air from the top vents. It's quite and works well.

jimrobertsusa
Unregistered guest
ok so going past -10 isnt a bad thing then

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1013
I never went to -10. I listened to movies at between -20 and -16. I did have the individual speakers calibrated 0 to + with none below 0.

jimrobertsusa
Unregistered guest
hmm thats interesting. When listening to music
-20 seems pretty loud, but while watching movies the sound set at that same level is drastically reduced

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 146
Jim I have noticed that the audio quality of the movies is drastically different and the ones that are done well produce more varying levels of sound within the movie. Last night as I watched parts of LOTR: Return of the King, the high battle sounds were really lound while some conversations were low, even though I didn't change the dial at all. (I have an SR8400 btw)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1020
With music I never went above -20 jim. I was talking about movies in my previous post.

jimrobertsusa
Unregistered guest
I understand what you meant Art, and I usually stay around the same level as you.
What I meant was if I keep the level at say -20 for music, then switch it to a movie keeping the volume at the same -20, it sounds significantly less loud

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2070
Our room is rather large (24'x20' with raked ceiling sloping 18' to 10'). With the Sr-7300, movies are generally okay on about -16 and music varies around -16 to -25 (average -22) for decent listening levels. Regardless of the jibes, I recommend using an spl meter to set all levels.

Here is tips on how to do so:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/settingspeakerlevelsdista n.php

Also, you can set a higher level for your surround modes in the setup. Actually I use the receiver's decoders for movies and slightly different speaker adjustment levels on my universal player to accommodate better (more optimised) levels for sacd and dvd-a sound.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 895
I guess it would help if people reported their speaker efficiency as well, so we know how many dB to adjust for.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1029
89db, at that time I had Paradigm Monitor 5's. You are right jim and you will find that same situation with any AVR. There is nothing wrong with it. All is well.

jimrobertsusa
Unregistered guest
Thanks Art
Now do you know if I have an external amp for the mains using the pre-outs of the sr5400, will this help to reduce the amount of heat the unit produces?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1031
It probably will. My new NAD barely gets warm with external amp on the front 2. The Marantz was warmer but not as warm as it was before I started using the external amp for the mains.

jimrobertsusa
Unregistered guest
Sorry for asking but I a really dont have any knowledge on these matters. Currently I have my sub connected via the sub out on the receiver. If I use an external amp for the mains, does the sub stay connected to the receiver the way I have it now?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1035
Yes, unless you add a 2 channel pre amp to the mix. We won't go there for now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us