My latest Athenas

Username: Triad

Post Number: 1
Great line of speakers. Highly recommend esp. if on a budget.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 155
Wait a minute Kevin, those drivers look familiar but not those cabinets! Did you screw on those wood panels???!!! Handsome...

Post Number: 2
Thx. Rick. Fun project that came out better than expected. Did it for kicks (and WAF). I've got a pair if AS-C1's that may get the treatment next.

Here's another shot showing the top.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 878
Sweet! Nice work!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 221
That looks very nice. Good job. Did you build the wood sides yourself? I build furniture for a hobby and know what I like! Very nice.

When I first saw this post, I thought Athena had gone hi end! I scrambled to their site but did not find this. Not sure about your warantee though!!

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys. Yes I built the sides from scratch using 1" aspen with cherry stain and a few coats of poly. Made the black mirrored panels, painted the front and made the Athena logo.

Now they look better than my Polk Rti8's. Starting to get ideas for them too.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1030
yep those are some beauts you've put together, Kevin!

BTW I'm curious, how would you describe the Athenas' sound compared to your RTi8s?

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 461
UploadUpload
They look like some real Sexy beasts, to me THX approved are they not...

Anonymous

The Athenas are brighter but lack the room filling sound of a large floorstander like the Rti8. I prefer a brighter speaker so I used the Athenas for stereo and the Polks for movies.

I had the Athenas upside down on top of the Polks. I could also use them together although timbre was quite different. Here's a pic of that setup...

Polkathena-med.jpg

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
Upload
Nice picture man...

Post Number: 4
(sorry about the anonymous post)

The Athenas are brighter but lack the room filling sound of a large floorstander like the Rti8. I prefer a brighter speaker so I used the Athenas for stereo and the Polks for movies.

I had the Athenas upside down on top of the Polks. I could also use them together although timbre was quite different. Here's a pic of that setup...
(refer to pic above)

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 157
You should send those CLASSY PIX to Athena to show them how handsome their speakers could be. I like mine the way they are now but I would have surely purchased cherry sided speakers instead of the black. (REAL WOOD, not vinyl crud!)

HEY, I KNOW! You could get into the business of selling ATHENA DRESS-UP KITS!!!!

Hmmmm...something would have to be done about those silver fronts on the floorstanders too...I know! Mick Jagger said it..."PAINT IT BLACK"!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 224
How did you go about painting the fronts without damaging anything? Did you do them by hand? What type of paint?

Hey from one hobbyist to another.......

Post Number: 5
I removed the drivers and painted the fronts with some black craft paint my wife has using a brush and roller. The stuff is pretty durable and costs about .80 for 2 oz.. I experimented with copper (ugh), gold (not bad), silver (yawn) before sticking with my first choice, black.

The drivers removed easily but the tweeter fell apart which was a little alarming at first.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 146
Great job Kevin. They kind of remind me of the Sonus Fabers.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 233
I suppose the warantee is of no concern to you?

Post Number: 6
Dan- Not worried about a speaker warranty esp. in this price range.

Stu- Good observation. Inspiration came from seeing SF's and Polk Lsi series speakers. At first I was going to imitate the leather front but I missed that episode of Trading Spaces. ;-).

Username: Paully

Post Number: 2
Man those are gorgeous! Do you have any more pix esp. of AS-F1/F2? Are they for sale?

I am in the market for Athenas and would buy those in a minute.

Unregistered guest
Very nice; you done good.

Post Number: 8
No floorstanders here. AS-b2-b1-c1 only. Just finished making stands though. Here's a pic..

Upload

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 130
Hey thats impressive,that has to improve the sound I would deffinately say that would really eliminate cabnet resonances.Hey athena should hire you that is extremly good work.

Unregistered guest
That's cold; really cold.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 297
Very nice indeed. Are those stands metal or wood? You are quite the handyman. I build furniture as a hobby and have made quite a bit for my house over the years and can recognize quality when I see it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
Is the floor wood or concrete, and if it is concrete, why not a floating floor, it will make the sound better and the feel of it too....

Check out the new "Skywalker sound" web page with virtual camera movement and focus too, very cool.

Get the picture...

http://www.skysound.com/

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us