Marantz 5400 or 6300?

Username: Roreman

Canada

Post Number: 1
Anyone have an opinion on which is the better of these two, given a similar price point? The 5400 has had very good reviews, but 6300 owners seem pretty happy with theirs. I like the learning remote of the 6300 better, and am not convinced of the utility of component switching as I have all the component ins that I need (right now anyway) on my rptv. The intangible in my mind concerns any audio improvement that Marantz has done in the 400 line. Unfortunately, I can't find a store with side-by-side comparison in my area.

Any opinions appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 13
I'm not familiar with Marantz but the guy I deal with just gave me a brand new 6300 in a box as a loaner while my NAD gets looked at for hum/hiss. It's sounds good & does the job but the rich deep sound of my NAD is not there. Maybe it's because I am used to NAD but it sounds harsh to me & tiring after a while. Is this a top-of-the line Marantz & how does Marantz rate as compard to H/K, Nad etc? I have had two NAD's in the last 6 weeks (752 & 753) & both had hum problems. I want my NAD but I am afraid the hum problem is not fixable. Any ideas on this or what I should get in it's place if I have to?

Bronze Member
Username: Jasonhall

Post Number: 20
The 6300 is not the top of the Marantz line. It is in the middle of last years line. The line for this year goes 4400, 5400, 6400, 7400 (which I have), and I believe they have AV receivers in the 8000 and 9000 realm.

As for how it compares to Nad I can't say - I could not find any Nads in my area. I found a good deal on my 7400 and am very happy with it. I don't feel it is missing a deep rich sound or is tiring, but I cannot say that I would or would not see a difference if I ever heard a NAD.

I am very happy with my 7400 - I wanted to stay in just under $1000, and I have some bright Boston Acoustics speakers. I feel the receiver and speakers go well together and I can't wait to hear them with my new HSU sub that should be delivered next month!

Paul, good luck with the hum problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 44
Rory

I would say get the SR7400 (7.1)if you could stretch it or you may still find a SR7300 (6.1) at good price. These 2 models have better components and dsp chips as well as current feedback amps. I agree with Jason's opinion of his 7400: even my wife commented on the great warm and open sound of our 7300 and stated that it was not the least bit tiring. Speakers, of course will make a difference.

I really did like the excellent sound of Nad receivers but now I don't think I'd swap.

If you go to marantz.com you can find the specs on past 300 lines and compare with the 400 series, but it's your ears and speakers (and wallet) that will complete the picture for you.

Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks My Rantz

I had gone to marantz.com before, but they don't list the past series on the N. American site. I'm presuming that you were referring to the Euro version of the site, which I have now found.

In any case, I'm afraid that the 6300 is a clearance model and they don't have any 7300s left. The 7400 would be a BIG step up in price. Given this, I think that I will go for the slightly more powerful 6300 over the 5400. It sounds pretty good to my ears, and I think that it'll match up well with my Klipsch speakers. Paul's problem with the Marantz may be that his speakers simply match up better with his NAD, as the unit I demoed sounded plenty rich.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Roreman

Good choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy the warm Marantz sound. No doubt you'll be geetting the 6300 at a good price and if so you'll not do much better. I'm not familiar with the Klipsch speaker range just be sure they are 6ohm or 8ohm (better) and not too low on sensitivity.

Happy listening!

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 37
There's no doubt that the Marantz 6300 can power Klipsch speakers. They should be a good match.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 16
I have the 5300. I would agree as others had suggested, that a step up to the 7300 would be a significant step. I doubt there is much difference between the 5400 and the 6300. A little extra power versus newer components. If affordability is the key, I don't see how you lose with the cheaper model. The remote on the 5300 which is probably the same as the 5400 is crap compared to the NAD learning remote. The only thing else I would add is that the NAD T753 would probably be better than either Marantz. Here is my scale: 1. Marantz 7300, 2. NAD T753 and tied for 3rd. Marantz 5400 and 6300.

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 14
Hey Jason & Rory,
Didn't mean to leave the impression that the Marantz 6300 is not a great sounding receiver. In fact it sounds very good. Very clear & robust indeed. It's just that over the past month I had gotten used to my NAD 753 & it just sounds so rich,full & warm that anything is else is gonna have a hard time beating it. The Marantz does indeed sound great, but a little bright when compared to the NAD & I prefer a warm tone....just my own preference. And one big advantage the Marantz 6300 I have as a loaner has is that is is trouble free, unlike the 752 & 753 I have tried. Despite the GREAT sound from the NAD's, they both suffered from that famous NAD hum. I want my NAD to work like this Marantz.
Happly listening!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jasonhall

Post Number: 21
Paul,

No problem - I didn't take it that way at all. You were giving your honest opinion. You are very happy with your choice, I am with mine. Would my opinion be different if I could audition a NAD - I don't know. Like I said, sounds like we are both happy with our choices.

Rory,

From what I can tell, sounds like you are considering some good choices from your price range. I think you will be happy with whatever you choose. The best advice I can give is what was given to me when I was about to buy. It all comes down to which one YOU think sounds better. We can all give our opinions, but in the end follow your ears and don't look back.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll make a great choice.

Canada

Post Number: 3
Jonathan,

Actually, I've since heard otherwise. Somebody else told me that there is as significant a difference between the 5300 and the 6300 as there is between the 6300 and 7300, and perhaps more so in terms of construction and overall quality. Now, this is purely anecdotal from my perspective, as it's now 2nd-hand info, but my source said that he had some experience with both models. I suppose that, as with just about anything, one can always end up with a lemon.

Paul,

Thanks, that's encouraging. Tell me, have you noticed any of the following in your short experience with the 6300:
1. the peak indicator coming on with analog sources?
2. a long audio lag when switching to digital sources?
3. any issues with the remote (eg. too heavy, too many buttons that won't be used, etc.)?
4. overheating?
I've read these as potential issues with Marantz receivers, but don't know how much the SR6300 suffers from any of these, if at all. Any feedback based on your experience is appreciated.

Jason,

Thanks, that seems like sound advice (pun intended). I listened to the 6300 and it sounds good to me. I was just wondering if there were any other issues for either model that I wouldn't know about from listening at my audio store.

Two Cents,

Thanks for your two cents! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 17
Roreman, I think we were talking about the 5400 and the 6300. I don't think there is a big difference betweent the 5300 and the 6300 except for power which isn't very significant. I have heard (and not experienced) that the 7300 is a big step up. I have the NAD T763 and the Marantz SR5300 so I can make the comparison there and NAD sounds better but the Marantz still sounds pretty good. I still think my rating scale is about right.

Canada

Post Number: 4
Jonathan,

Right you are. I just thought you were making the comparison based on your experience with the 5300. My mistake. In any case, I really have no idea, except for what I've read in posts on this forum and others. That's why I posted the question in the first place. Since I've never heard the 7300, I really can't say much about it.

Anyway, it's not really on my hit list due to the great prices I've found on the 5400 and the 6300. And I can't find an NAD753 that comes close to the price that I can get these two for either. Certainly, based on their prices alone, your ranking of the 7300 and the NAD over either model should be spot on.

If, as you say, the 5400 and 6300 differ very little, then I might as well make my decision based on the remote and that extra little bit of power. The learning remote on the 6300 looks pretty cool. :-)

Thanks for your input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Roreman

On the SR7300 the peak signal will sometimes come on in stereo mode if your CD is connected by analogue cables, but not on source direct. When that happens you just press the attenuate button which lessens the digital signal. This occurs more so with newer highly compressed CDs. However, connect your cd player to the optical or coax inputs and there is no peaking and the sound is also much improved IMHO and especially in source direct mode.

I have heard some gripes with the remote (same as SR7300) but I think it's fine. Once you sort it out it no problem.

Remember, you are buying at a price point. No receiver is perfect and I still believe the SR6300 is a terrific buy providing you are getting a good discount as a run-out model.

I had heating problems in extremely hot weather which I solved with a small external 12volt fan. Be sure to leave plenty of space top, back and sides. The cheap fan gives peace of mind if you think your unit needs it.

There is a slight lag between changing digital inputs and a display appears on screen. But this is no big deal.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 12
Roreman FYI,

Marantz NA site does have past products info. From the nav options on the left:

PRODUCTS->Past Products Information

Canada

Post Number: 5
Cool. Thanks Anthony. I'm not sure how I missed that one. Guess I've been looking at the computer screen too long...

Interesting, the lower buttons on the remote on the Euro version look like they're glow-in-the-dark green, and the NA version look white. Any comments from anybody either side of the pond?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us