Party speakers!

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 145
Hey guys, I'm moving into a new apt and I'm looking to get a pair of tower speakers for party use.

I don't care about sound quality here, I care about volume, and power handling!
(I have the B&W's in the bedroom for hi-fi!)

I am looking at the MTX TP212's. they are towers with a horn-load tweeter and 2 12" woofers. I can get them from HHGregg for 300 a pair...

I'm gonna use an HK 3480 stereo receiver (120W/channel) to power these beasts.

any other ideas in the 300-400 dollar range?

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
I'm also looking at the Cerwin Vega E-712 towers.

They're 6db more sensitive and they have tweeter protection for all that loud playing! :-)

Come on, i don't want just Paul to chime in, I want some "real" advice!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 843
Yeah, who wants to recommend very cheap speakers that only have to be loud and not sound good? :-)

I have no relevant experience as far as knowing how any of the possibilities sound. I suggest that without such first-hand knowledge, you should look at efficiency ratings first. At 98 dB, the CV seem to fit the bill!

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 90
The KLH Rave series is also out there.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 124
The Cerwin-Vegas should blast your party right off your deck and into the pool...

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
surprising, I have a thread about CV's and Paul didn't chime in...

pity...

I think I'm gonna get the CV's, considering that I can get them online for 350, i'll be happy...

mix that with HK power, and the party's at my house!!

:-)

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1324
Sorry,
I cant vouch for the E-12s because I've never heard them. They're probably up your 'alley' though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1325
My 'antique' CVs could rock the pool though......HEH.

They're definitely no 'sissy' <95db wimps........LOL

If you want to convert your pool into a wave-pool, add a SVS sub:-)

BYOSb
bring your own surf board

PS........
I hope you have a HUGE lot. Otherwise, you should stick with a standard 'boombox' for outdoors because that will be all the loudness you need.(if that's the case)

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 384
Well hell, four pairs of JBL 4675-A with a sensitivity of 100db on the LF and 130db on the HF WOW turn that BL00DY thing down!!!!!!!

And 6x JBL 4645C KABOOM there, goes the neighbourhood.

Along with 8KW of JBL sound power around 140dbC weighting of mean machine power, lets party on....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1329
Granted the UK is living in the dark ages, but what model is the 4675 sub??

What was that one of those 'oldies' that only goes down to about 30hz?

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
Most us on this forum Paul, well we pretty much don't like your attitude Paul, and seeing I'm a former cinema projectionist who as played with far more cinema professional technology, than most would ever care for.

Not that you would even care your self because your just an annoying toilet bug that won't flush away so for the benefit of some of us, stick a soak in it will you......

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
Oh since the JBL 4645 enclosure is loaded with a new JBL 2245H 18in 600watt
http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/2245h.htm

And not the JBL 4675-A which is a for screen stage usage full range Paul, you wouldn't know professional loudspeakers if they fail on you by the ton load.

Which would be good since it would squash you like the bug you are!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 835
Bose 901s. That's about the only thing they're good for.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 893
Any big Cerwin Vega. This is where the CV's shine. Rock on!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1339
How does being the monkey who presses play on a projector have any correlation with being a speaker expert??

Yea, yea....I know, you also switch reels.
Whoah...that must take a lot of experience. About as much as required for the guy working the popcorn machine down in the lobby.

zorro
Unregistered guest
Paul
eat my s h i t ! and suck my ....you stupid ignorant mo fo !

Gold Member

Post Number: 1343
I agree with art. When it comes to party speakers, nothing really compares to the CVs. When it comes to movies, I still feel the same way about the CVs.

Zorro,
Are you a projector jockey too?? Whats with the strong response to something that was clearly directed elsewhere??

I personally dont see the correlation to how one becomes a HiFi expert because he flips a switch on a projector, so I thought I'd ask. Heck, I can press a button 'with the best of them', so does that make me a sound expert too??

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Don't try to play it like that ...you very well know you are here just to annoy and insult people....besides, having a bull s h i t HT system like yours does not make you an audio expert either so, I don't know what makes you think that your posts add any value to this forum.
Like I said before you are very ignorant and want to play as if you were so smart.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1347
I never claimed to have an elite 'music snob' approved system. It is what it is, and I wouldnt have it any other way. I happen to think that it's perfect for my intended use.

What system do you have??? At least I'm willing to share what I own for others(including photos), and I'm willing to poke fun at it, at my own expense.

C'mon....how can you 'not' like speakers with bright orange surrounds?? CVs rule....Dont you know it??

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
Hallo there

Zorro

That was a quick, and swift drop in there with a blazes of small words, hit the nail spot on to.

Hay Paul,

Did you Know that Cerwin-Vega In 1974 the motion picture "Earthquake" premiered with a dramatic new innovation in motion picture sound known as "Sensurround" For the first time audio was an integrated part of the movie experience through special effects. The concept required large powerful bass cabinets which would provide very low frequencies in order to shake the movie theatre, thus simulating a real earthquake. For this purpose the "E" bass horns and woofers were developed. These were 18" Woofers in a folded horn configuration. The internal path length of the horn was 6 feet with a cut-off frequency of 33 Hz. Sensitivity of the system was an Incredible 106 dB at 1 watt / 1 meter. "Sensurround" technology and Cerwin-Vega were honoured with an Academy Award for Special Technical Achievement in 1974.
Upload
Richard Stupf and W.O. Watson pointing out the huge mamma-jamma Sensurround Cerwin-Vega loudspeakers.

And if you haven't got "Earthquake" in its full spectrum sound Dolby 5.1 with stereo split-surrounds on this re-mixed version from the "SENSUUROUND" six-track master, on the DVD bookshelf case then you really don't know the history that well, but this I hoped has helped and be prod of being a CW owner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
and another halfway decent thread deteriorates into a slam fest with Paul at the center...

come on guys, we're adults now, high school is over....

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, I'm probably gonna get something from the CV E-series line. they're made to get loud! and they don't sound too bad either.

I'll let ya know when the party starts!

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
Upload

I see that you're running the Yamaha RX-V2500 Dolby dts and THX select.
Upload

I'm running the Kenwood KRF-X9050D Dolby dts THX select, which in the future I like to buy a newer THX select model maybe Yamaha Pioneer or even Kenwood again.
Upload

But I can get matrixed, 10 channels out of it and at present 9 channels due to a shortage of amplification, well that's thinking like a projectionist boys and girls and did it burn my pocket no.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
I'm not familiar with that unit, but it looks pretty cool. Based on looks, I give it a 10.......HEH.

I'll just have to settle with only having 7 channel surround:-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Hay

Paul don't feel upset over that, if you used the pre-outputs on the Yamaha RX-V2500, and thinking like I do, as a former cinema projectionist you can get a whole lot more sound fun out of the front mix.

Like three extra channels left centre right centre like the SDDS 8 channel and Todd-Ao 70mm six-track formats, and also upper centre channel like in the IMAX cinemas also known as "The Voice of God"

If you listen, and I mean real dame hard you will hear between centre and left channel on "Titanic" dialogue panned over to the left and partly in the centre has well, if you use a 2x Dolby Pro-logic decoders both the same make and model, you too can achieve an SDDS 8 channel effect in the home cinema arena, and if you like me also like "Gladiator" this well have an awesome effect.

Also please bear-in-mind 5x matching loudspeakers must be used EQ's 3x matching amplifiers and if you want the whole hogs head B-chain is the logical professional step, with 5x matching stereo active X-over units 5x amplifiers 5x EQ's all diving this front stage awesome array of power at your discretion.

That's only the half of it for now.

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
I dont know about you guys, but cheap speakers are the last thing id wanna "party" to. Screechy treble is pretty brutal on the ears at concert volumes. But I do have pretty sensitive ears so it may just be me.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 129
Heck, your girlfriend could spew beer puke on a big Cerwin-Vega and it wouldn't even notice! We're talkin' PARTY, not a wine tasting...

Walrus
Unregistered guest
My girlfriend is a GREAT party speaker! Hell, she never stops talking. At least not until I stick something in her mouth, heh.

mc x it
Unregistered guest
Walrus, by 'girlfriend' we all no you mean your mother, so why dont you and zorro go hold hands somewhere and maybe you two can talk about the new Bose speaker line that is coming out. Cerwin Vega's ROCK ON!!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 155
Did you say you were going to move into an apartment from where you live now, and you want to throw parties there? Hmmm I used to throw many parties, but mostly on my way out, ha ha ha, not on my way in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
it's college guys...

good ole' Purdue University!

We party on the way in, out, and almost everyday in between!

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 249
I'd pick up some used P.A. monitors. They are designed to play loud and would be much better than any CV speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us