Second System Speakers (or "how to pull a rabbit out of my hat")

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 815
Since know one here bit on my Marantz SR5400 AVR, DV6400 universal player, and CC4300 cd changer, I think I'll keep 'em. So that means I'm only shy a speaker system from having a full second setup. I may not do it right away but I'm looking for ideas. The speaker must be petite and wall mountable (though not in-wall). It's a second system probably for the bedroom so no comments on the petite part ok Paul.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4118
I don't make recommendations often, Art, but for you ....

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 814
Art,

Shipping and duties would kill any sort of deal I could make on your gear... I thought about it!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 823
You know Jan I don't think I've ever heard of that brand. Interesting, I must investigate.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1281
LOL Jan....

Nice speakers, and what a ripoff. Geez....

Im sure those 7lb 'lumps' are worth every penny of that $400 price tag. The only function those little things deserve is as a doorstop, and they probably wouldnt even be very good at that.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 880
Art,

well you know what my recommendation would be: a pair of Ascend CBM-170s, $340 shipped and maybe $20 return shipping in the unlikely event you dislike them. And yes they are certainly wall-mountable. You will need a sub though.

Ulterior motive: I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on an A/B comparison with your Paradigm Studio (20?) speakers!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 818
That's how Paul gets up to 1281 posts in such a short time! LOL!

It's a comic routine!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 828
Ofcourse I will consider the Ascends. So far with the research that I've done it seems that the Ascend sound is somewhere between the Monitor series and the Reference. I haven't found anyone willing to say that they sounded as good or better than the Reference speakers. For the price however they would be more than good enough. One consideration thoough is what room they will go in. If it is the bedroom I will need something smaller yet, if we move and it is in say a family room then Ascends may fit the bill. Then again I may have to try out those speakers Jan suggested. Read his recommendation carefully and you will see the humor. I about pi$$ed my pants when I checked the link and read the speakers special features.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 822
Now Perfectly Time Coherent

:-)

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 824
Actually, Jan was serious about them. He owns a pair:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/138554.html

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1295
Awww....c'mon Peter.

And to think I havent read the sunday morning 'funnies' in years.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us