NAD 773/763 vs Marantz 7400 vs HK 7200

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 15
i'm weighing these 3 receivers, at the moment in that order. (also comparing spkrs, currently paradigm monitors and studios and monitor audio silvers). i have not been able to do true direct comparisons of my desired recvr/spkr combos since no dealers seem to carry them all. comparing the 3 recvrs, the nad is clearly the most expensive and has the least features. the 773 costs about 2x the other 2, and lacks some of their features such as self powered second zone, hi bandwidth video (50 mhz vs 100 for hk), and component video upconversion (marantz). to my knowledge the marantz and hk have all the features of the nad. is the nad sound quality really that much better to justify paying 2x for fewer features? are the featrues lacking on the nad that important? (even the 763 costs sig. more than the others, and is only 6.1)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
forgot to add, i welcome any comments comparing the merits of these receivers - thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 70
It depends on what is important to you e.g. 6.1 or 7.1, video up conversion for switching simplicity and full second zone etc.

I have heard Nad but not in my home. They truly offer outstanding sound and honest power. I have the Marantz SR-7300, it has plenty of power spare in our large room and I absolutely love the sound, build quality and ease of use. I haven't heard the HK-7200 but it gets great reviews in this forum also. But only can decide: it's your ears and your wallet!

Features such as stadium, hall sounds etc are toys which are often played with for a while and then forgotten. Real stereo and surround performance is what truly counts when it comes to sound. Speaker matching I believe will suit NAD and Marantz but not sure about the 7200 - someone else may guide you on that one.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 439
bigfan:

All three receivers are very good choices, but your choice in speaker is going to strongly affect your choice in receiver as each receiver has a different sonic charecteristics (as do the speakers). Also, don't forget, you are looking at an H/K model that it being closed out--it is last year's model, so the price is significantly reduced compared to the other two. If you want to compare apples to apples, consider getting an NAD 762, which is being closed out for $750 at DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com), for example. If I was aware of any place that had a Marantz 7300 available on closeout, I would suggest you consider that, as well.

I would recommend that if you get the Paradigms, the best match is the NAD 763 (I don't believe any one really needs 7.1, nor is their any real benefit to it as the extra channels are matrixed, not discrete). The combo of Paradigm and NAD is one of the truly great systems out there--it just works so well, you would have a hard time listening to anything else. And yes, it does cost more, but NAD doesn't sell on "features" (most of which you will never use!), but sells on their lush and very convincing sound. I will tell you it has significantly more power than the Marantz (I don't know how the H/K compares here as I have not spent enough time with one), which is part of the reason it costs more. It has a far bigger power supply and capacitors, plus a higher grade of Crystal brand DSP and DACs--all of which are designed to give the sound quality of separates at the price of a receiver. Not all sound is alike, and NAD simply sounds better to my ears. It is warm and a bit forward, making it a wonderful choice for the Paradigms which are a bit laid back sounding. Their combination results in wonderful detail in a very pleasing, listenable sound that just sounds real.

The Marantz is my choice if you go for the Monitor Audio speakers. I recently replaced my Denon with an NAD, but the marantz was my second choice as it also is a very fine unit. The MAs are a tad more brash sounding than the Paradigms, but the more laid back nature of the Marantz is a very good choice to tame any harshness of the MAs and lets their great detail come out. This is a very good system.

The H/K is even more laid back sounding than the Marantz, hence it best pairs up with Klipsch or JMlabs speakers, both of which are pretty bright, but work great with the 7200. However, H/K with Paradigm is so laid back, it will put you to sleep, so I do not recommend it, at all.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
thanks. are there any advantages for the 763 over the 762?

Username: Slimmer

Post Number: 5
Hello All,
I just set up a new HK 7200 with the hopes of taming my Boston Vr series speakers. Well, much to my horror, I think the sound may be even brighter compared to my Denon 1803. Are the Bostons a lost cause. Might I have a defective HK? One question... Can I get a refund? lol! I know that the HK 7200 has a very robust power supply for a receiver. Do you think it can drive Magnepans?
Help my Hawk o 1 you be my only hope!

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 27
Bigfan: there aren't alot of advantages with the T763 over the T762 in terms of sound and loudness. The T763 has new components, I think bigger heat sinks. If the price is close go new but if there is a several hundred dollar difference, I would go with the T762.

Username: Dan308

Post Number: 1
Jonathan, you said "The T763 has new components". What does that mean? I'm thinking about the T763 and my local dealer has it for 1200.00 + tax. That DMC company has the T762 that's refurb for 750.00.

Should I pay the difference for the warranty?
Dan308

Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 9
The difference is as follows;
Main features for the New T763 aginst the T762:
1) Software upgradeable through RS232 Port
2) New Redisigned Heat Sinks ( 4 Fans installed Running at Slower Speeds )
3) New Volume Control
4) Power amp installed able to give more wattage at lower ohmage then the T762

Post Number: 2
Thanks Robert, So in your opinion would you get the 63 or the 62?

Dan308

Bronze Member

Malta

Post Number: 11
The difference is as follows:
1) Software upgradeable through RS232 Port
2) Re-disgned Heat sink and cooling system. (4 Fans Running at lower Speed) instead of 2 (T762) running at Higher speed.
3) Re- Designed Power on System (Standby Button at the front and Power on/off switch at the back)
4) Able to pump out more wattage with less distortion at lower ohmage load

Bronze Member

Malta

Post Number: 12
It depends on your budget. The most advantage factor of the T763 is it can be upgraded to newer software versions without replacing the Chip itself, plus new formats (if the Crystal DSP have the processing power to support the new format) can be installed. Currently, the DSP within the NAD range is not able to compute DTS 96/24. Which is very disapointing as the format may or can regain some software support.

Personally if I would be going for the plunge i would go for the T763!

Bronze Member

Malta

Post Number: 13
It depends on your budget. The most advantage factor of the T763 is it can be upgraded to newer software versions without replacing the Chip itself, plus new formats (if the Crystal DSP have the processing power to support the new format) can be installed. Currently, the DSP within the NAD range is not able to compute DTS 96/24. Which is very disapointing as the format may or can regain some software support.

Personally if I would go for the T763!

Post Number: 3
Robert, so you think the DTS 96/24 is worth the extra 500.00?

Dan308

Bronze Member

Malta

Post Number: 14
Not at all. But its good to have the most format support from a receiver from the begining! But you cannot have everthing in life! NAD amplification would surely out weigh the amount of formats decoded.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us