NAD 743/ Marantz 5400 for Athena's?

Username: Costar

Post Number: 9
Guys and Gals,
I've found both receivers at a local hifi dealer on sale for $549.99 which fits the budget nicely. I also took a listen today at best buy with the Athena's(AF-S2) and was very pleased with sound vs. cost. I'm very leery of ordering over the internet so I'm hesitating getting the PSB combo which is also a nice price. Since there is a better chance I'll end up with the Athena's, which would be the smarter choice for receiver over all?
Also my HT room is around 17'x 19' and is completely open to the left w' kitchen and dining room. Should I have any concerns about this set up with my room? Thanks for all advice in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 240
Christopher,

Although I really like NAD, I think in this case, the Marantz might be a better choice for you. While the are very good speakers for the money (as you have observed), Athena speakers tend toward the bright side. To tame some of this brightness, a warmer sounding receiver is usually desirable. Marantz has this warm sound, while NAD has a more neutral sound. Therefore, in my opinion, the Marantz would be a better choice for you. Are you able to actually listen to this setup to hear for yourself which you like better? I am assuming that you can't since Best Buy doesn't sell Marantz or NAD. I would recommend against buying without listening first. Don't take our word for it...only you can decide what sounds better to YOUR EARS!! You may prefer NAD over Marantz in this situation...who knows...but you won't know unless you can audtion them together.

As for buying over the internet...I have bought many things, from my NAD receiver and PSB speakers to high dollar camera equipment and I have NEVER had any problems. If you buy from a reputable and authorized dealer, you have nothing to worry about. If there is a problem and you have to return the unit, most reputable dealers will pay to have the unit shipped for repair/return. Please don't think that I am trying to change your mind here, I just don't want you miss getting something you really want simply because you have to go to the internet to buy it.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us