Best power amp for <$550?

Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 2
I'm looking to add a power amp to my system and I wanted opinions on what would be the best power(2 channel/multi-cahnnel) amp out there for less than $550.00. I have an Onkyo TH-SR701 a/v receiver and Angstrom Modular 2/4/8's and 6C centre channel for speakers. Any opinions would help. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 23
Darren,
With a budget of less than $550.00, I think you will get the most amp per dollar in a pre-owned. Go to www.audiogon.com . I have done a lot of upgrades through them, and can find some real bargains in the process. I assume you are going to use your Onkyo as a pre-pro? Look at an amp from Acurus, NAD, Rotel, Outlaw. I think I saw a Bryston 3B on the sight a few weeks ago for around $450.00 ! Good luck.

Post Number: 3
Rick,
Thanks for the input. I think you're right that probably pre-owned is the way to go. I can get a pre-owned Audio Reseach D100 for $500(CDN), although the model is old and discontinued, the audio place I deal with has assured me that this is an excellent amp. Any comments on this amp?

Bronze Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 24
Darren,

It's always nice to have a salon that you know, and have a relationship with. The AR amp is ok. See if he will let you audition the amp in your home, to see hear how it sounds with your speakers and other gear. In the end it's all about how it sounds. I still think you can do better than the AR for your money. Is the dealer willing to stand behind the amp for any time period? Have you browsed www.audiogon.com? Good luck.

Post Number: 4
Rick,
They will let me take it home and audition it without question. I agree it is all about how it sounds with my exsiting equipment. I have browsed Audiogon but most of the stuff is out of my price range $700CDN. Do you have any other suggestions that might be better than the AR?

Bronze Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 25
Darren,

Sounds like a nice place to do business. Take the amp home and give it a try. You have nothing to lose. If the amp isn't for you, ask them to keep you in mind if something else comes along. You keep looking as well. Hope you find something you like. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us