Pre/amp

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 110
Hi folks.
I am now running the h/k avr 65 as pre and Rotel985 power amp.
WHen I had just the receiver, clipping came in about '9' on the dial.
With the amp now, the receiver only goes to, lets say 10 on the dial but the amp has more to give ie not clipping.
My purpose is not to clip things at this power level,rather to know where the limits lie.

The limits may be my intelligence or abilities, aknowleged. hehe

Peace

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4278

Sorry, Nuck, I don't understand. The volume control is advanced as far as possible and the power amp is still not clipping. Is that the question?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 111
Indeed Jan.. the pre will stop at the usual(old) position for, say, James Taylor, at clipping'9'. with the new amp, the (now pre) k/k still stops at '9' but the Rotel has lots of guts left.
The h/k still acts like it's running the show, but it's only a prep

Peace

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4295

Well, that's what pre amps do; they run the show. Pre amps can also be called control amps because they have that control freak mentality. For the most part, what they say goes.

Probably what you're finding is a difference in sensitivity between the HK amp and the Rotel amp. The pre amp can only put out so much voltage. That will be determined by the amount of voltage into the pre amp from the source and then how many dB's of gain are designed into the pre amp itself. The end result is the output voltage of the pre amp.

The same applies to the power amp. It is looking for "X"dB of volatge coming into its inputs (sensitivity) and then it applies its gain stages to amplify that signal. If the HK pre amp has slightly less voltage coming out than the Rotel expects, the Rotel's gain stages will not reach the point where the power amp clips.

There is nothing wrong with this sistuation as the actual difference in voltage output and input sensitivity between pre amps and power amps is relatively minor. If the Rotel can get the signal loud enough, then there is no need to go further. If you want to clip the Rotel, you will have to buy a pre amp with sufficient output voltage.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us