Auto return on Technics SL-Q2

Username: Dharmabum

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

My aunt just dug up a Technics SL-Q2 turntable out of her storage and gave it to me since I've started buying LP's. I downloaded the old manual and adjusted the counterweight and anti-skate dial correctly, but there's something wrong with the auto-return function on the tonearm. It keeps coming back even before the needle's touched the vinyl! I've gotten it to stay on the record for about 1 second max before it comes back. The manual showed me a screw underneath the turntable mat that I could adjust to play with the tonearm-return, but it still keeps happening. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6952

Disconnect the auto return completely and use the table as a purely manual design.

Username: Dharmabum

Post Number: 2
Cool. How do I do that?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6953

I don't know the deck to tell you. Look at the mechanism underneath the arm and try to figure out what is connected to the auto trip mechanism. You will have to be careful that you don't damage anything while trying different set ups. You will probably have some problems isolating the auto start mechanisn from the auto return mechanism. If you can get just the auto start to keep working, you'll have a semi automatic table. To run the table as a fully manual you will more than likely have to install an on/off switch and the arm will be totally disconnected from all the auto function devices under the table.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us