Which Connectors to use?

Username: Mrted46

Post Number: 4
This is a real newbie question but what is the best connection to use when connecting the audio receiver to the HT system?

Is is the optical cable?

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 112
Yes.
Unless you are extremely clumbsy and will tend to to bend it too much - and break the glass fibre inside it.
Some people claim that co-ax sounds better, but they tend to be the clumbsy people, who have broken the fibre.

Have a look at the cable forum to see who they are.:-)

capww8
Unregistered guest
i would say it's cheaper to get a quality coax than it is to get a quality optical.

Username: Mrted46

Post Number: 5
Thanx for answering me.

I am very careful and won't break it and the additional price is ok for quality.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1080
Either will be fine. My preference and setup is coax. If you have a long run, optical will be better. Any well made and shielded RCA cable will work just fine.

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 113
To qualify my earier post, both coax and optical should sound identical in an ideal world.
The digital signal has a system to check that it is okay, regardless of the method of getting from one box to the other.
In a computer system, you would get an error message "connection failed" if something went wrong. In a computer comms situation, the data would have been re-transmitted several times to try to get a 'good copy'. In audio, retransmission has a more limited time window and will not stop - as that would be the worst form of interference. There is also no log to tell you that it has actually happened.

I have had very audible problems using good quality coax cable caused by transient EMF interference. There may also have been subtle signal degredation which wasn't quite as obvious. This cannot happen with optical - hence my preference.

Regards,
diablo

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3964

Diablo - Please explain where the "transient EMF interference" was coming from in an interconnect application. I am unaware of anything which could cause electromotive force in this situation.

capww8
Unregistered guest
The EMF interference could have been from anything, interconnect running too close to power chords and/or transformers could be a cause. Optical would be les susceptable to these types of interference, though to me, the cost of an optical cable capable of accurately, and reliably transmitting signal is somewhat prohibitive. If I have a choice between a $200 optical cable, and a $200 coax... I'll take the coax. If we're talking about $50 cables, the preference would probably be to optical...

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 114
Jan,
I don't think my description 'transient EMF' ElectroMagnetic Field, was incorrect. Though it is perhaps a fancy term for what was happening.

I had a Pure tuner attached to my NAD receiver by coax cable. Whilst listening to the tuner, I often turn on my television to select programs to record on DVR. I noticed that there would quite often be an audible distortion in sound - together with the NAD display changing to 'source selection' for a second or so, whenever the television was turned on, or off.

There is no direct connection between my television and the NAD (or the tuner). The television is actually on a different power circuit. The only link was an optical connection between the DVR and the NAD.

I removed the DVR/NAD link and the problem remained. Swapping the tuner/NAD link from coax to optical solved the problem. The only source of interfence near to the NAD which was connected to the television was the DVR and associated RGB scart cable - now with no direct connection at all.

Am I being unreasonable in assuming that the coax cable was picking up EMF from the scart cable or DVR? If the interference was being transmitted through the mains, then it must have been transmitted to the NAD via the coax cable. Either way, changing to the optical has cured it and I don't intend to change back.

Regards,
diablo

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3972

Whether the problem was caused by radio frequency interference (RFI) due to a poorly designed tuner (RF?) section in the digital video recorder (DVR) or the elctromagnetic field (EMF) of interference caused by a poorly shielded component or cable, there wasn't any likely source for electromotive force (EMF). What we have here is a case of intials not being enought to tell everyone what the writer's intent was (WIW).

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1087
$200 cable?? Gawd, I sure hope that it's about 30 meters long if you're paying that much....geez.

There are plenty of quality 'well-shielded' cables available for much, much, much less. You must shop at a 'boutique' market if you're throwing money away so needlessly......

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3974

Geez, Paul, you must not have heard the POP!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 156
Hey guys let me take the time to make a few corrections in this thread. First of all I personally choose coax digital because even through it is subject to a very small amount of EMI or electromagnetic interference, not EMF or electomotive force which is a fancy word for voltage, it is superior to optical(Toslink) in that it has a much greater bandwith. Coax digital is better than optical for long runs not vice versa because with a length of about 20' or more the optical signal will begin to degrade, especially with additional bends in the cable from running it around corners,etc. Some people think that an optical connection sounds more "compressed" than coax, so this is the reason audio purists tend to favor coax. Diablo's situation is an unusual one because for the most part the amount of RFI or EMI that can affect a decently shielded coax cable is next to nil. Anyway, happy listening.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Sorry Guys for the typo, I meant electromotive force, not electomotive. E.Ramsey

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 116
Eric "Diablo's situation is an unusual one because for the most part the amount of RFI or EMI that can affect a decently shielded coax cable is next to nil. Anyway, happy listening."

I use fairly decent Thor interconnects - the best my local supplier stocks. The problem was as described and the drop-outs ceased with the switch to optical.

I'm not convinced that coax digital cable is superior for the sort of lengths we are talking about here. For a start, these connections use the S/PDIF checksum protocol, as outlined in this link -
http://www.epanorama.net/links/audiodigital.html#spdif

Where the transmitted data packets have parity errors, the signal is dropped for a short time. This is not common with optical links.

Apologies for confusion caused by using the term EMF. I should have put RFI / EMI.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Every type of digital transmission uses error correction Diablo,as this is an important part of the process. Nearly all of high end cd transports and players if equipped with a digital output will have a coax digital connection. I read the article which confirmed my initial point which I already knew that coax is better than optical for longer runs. As far as a dropping of the signal goes this will occur with both types of cables and depend on the source. Cd's an DVD's do not have a constant bitstream and therefore will breifly,mute/drop the signal between tracks at least with any DA converter in any piece of equipment I have ever encountered. E.Ramsey
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us