Help with picking nice equipment

Username: Mrted46

Post Number: 1
Hi guys I am new to the home theatre market.
I am going to purchase a 50" Sony Plasma soon and I would like to have some nice audio.

This is what I was looking to buy:
Yamaha htr 5890 (~600$)
Bose AM6 III Black (~600)

So I would like to spend around 1,200 (it can go over a little).

Please give me some input and I am open to all/any models.

Thank you in advance.
PS my pc crashed while posting this earlier I hope this is not a repost. I do not see my previous post so I posted again.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 740
For $1200 there are many nice choices. Do some research. Try CNET.com as a start.

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 50
Before you buy Bose, do yoursef and your wallet a favor and read this - http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

If you have any problems understanding what it means, let us know

PFC5
Unregistered guest
TED P:

Do yourself a favor and RUN don't walk from Bose. I had a friend who got sucked into their marketing hype, and bought the AM10 & Bose "powered towers" for his HT. Total cost of about $2,000.00. He heard my Klipsch setup and sold the whole Bose system for $600.00 (all he could get for it). He went to Vanns.com and negotiated to get the cheapest Velodyne Subwoofer, Klipsch SC-1 center, and 4 SS-1 speakers for the L/R fronts and rears. He got it all for about $600.00 and it blows away his previous setup.

Do you know what convinced him to do this? It was when I got him into DVD-Audio and he bought Queen - A Night at The Opera and listened to Bohemian Rhapsody with his Bose Speakers. Freddie Mercury's voice was very muted and hidden behind the music, and that screaming guitar licks in that sound were also very muted.

Then we went to listen to MY Klipsch system at half the volume (we both had the same Yamaha receivers). Needless to say he couldn't stand his system anymore :-)

He went out and bought the cheapest Klipsch center channel from BestBuy (SC-.5) and that alone helped a great deal, but he knew THEN what I was telling him about Bose.

If you want really small satellites, then just spend 3-400.00 on the the Klipsch Quartets. they alome will blow the Bose away.

PFC5
Unregistered guest
TED P:

Do yourself a favor and RUN don't walk from Bose. I had a friend who got sucked into their marketing hype, and bought the AM10 & Bose "powered towers" for his HT. Total cost of about $2,000.00. He heard my Klipsch setup and sold the whole Bose system for $600.00 (all he could get for it). He went to Vanns.com and negotiated to get the cheapest Velodyne Subwoofer, Klipsch SC-1 center, and 4 SS-1 speakers for the L/R fronts and rears. He got it all for about $600.00 and it blows away his previous setup.

Do you know what convinced him to do this? It was when I got him into DVD-Audio and he bought Queen - A Night at The Opera and listened to Bohemian Rhapsody with his Bose Speakers. Freddie Mercury's voice was very muted and hidden behind the music, and that screaming guitar licks in that sound were also very muted.

Then we went to listen to MY Klipsch system at half the volume (we both had the same Yamaha receivers). Needless to say he couldn't stand his system anymore :-)

He went out and bought the cheapest Klipsch center channel from BestBuy (SC-.5) and that alone helped a great deal, but he knew THEN what I was telling him about Bose.

If you want really small satellites, then just spend $3-400.00 on the the Klipsch Quartets. they alone will blow the Bose away.

Username: Mrted46

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the warning I have read many posts on the forums warning me about Bose. I am staying away!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 617
Good job Ted. Dale and the fella's are giving you good advice. There are so many brands of gear that are superior to Bose. Try the low end Harman Kardon receiver with Ascend or Athena speakers. You will find the results far more satisfying than with Bose. Dale is right, start by doing some research (which is probably what you are doing here), audioREVIEW.com is one good place to look. Actually ecoustics gives you access to professional as well as consumer reviews. After a little research it's time to gather up some discs and head out to collect the empirical data. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us