Green Mountain Audio loudspeakers

Username: Royj

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

I am the founder and designer of Green Mountain Audio, and this is my first post here. I did not expect to start a thread for the following topic, and I'll keep it short. Thank you for reading this.

I do want to first extend my thanks to the webmasters for such a well-designed and consistently-maintained site.

The posts of an unregistered user, "mauimusicman" have been brought to my attention. Those were on the Loudspeaker Forum, so I thought it best to place this message here, with the moderator's permission:

The posts of the unregistered "mauimusicman" start out by recommending my speakers. Yet, as his posts continue in a given thread, they are seemingly intended to anger everyone and turn them away from us, or perhaps just to portray the registered "maui" as a fool. I cannot tell his real intention.

However, I think it is important that someone with such a negative approach, and who is blatantly dishonest (as I will point out below), be ignored or banished. I am not too worried about his effect on our business, as we do have a solid, no B.S. reputation earned over many years, which the new website will make clear.

I cannot begin to describe how surprised and angered I was upon reading the unregistered maui's assertions that he "helped design our website" and that he "makes 30% commission on each sale". I hope there are not others.

We do not commission anyone. We sell to stereo stores and custom-system designers.

The existing website was, and the new version is, being developed in-house by our CEO, Janet Lynn.

We both extend our apologies for the troubles with the existing site. Work on it and on the new speakers was completely interrupted last January, by a personal emergency for Ms. Lynn which is now resolved. All is returning to normal, and the new site will be up in the not-too-distant future. New products will be out later this month.

I have known the real "maui" for many years, who lives on Maui with his wife and family. On occasion, he does exhibit a temper. He does sometimes go too far in claiming we are the best, when "what to listen for when comparing speakers", or "what I specifically hear when I play this recording" would be more useful responses. But he does not go out of his way to anger people.

Other actions of the unregistered "maui" greatly trouble me: He has cut and pasted a great many of my technical explanations and those of the registered "maui" from other forums, and essentially claimed them for his own. What is worse, is that some of them are incomplete explanations, so any reader trying to understand time-coherent speaker design is left even more baffled.

I do not understand the reason for the actions of the unregistered mauimusicman, nor do I care. Perhaps he has already gone away.

Regardless, I would urge everyone to not take his advice, even if in support of my products. Please do not respond to his posts.

Anyone is always welcome to contact me personally to clear up any misconceptions, or answer any technical queries.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards to all,
Roy Johnson
Founder and Designer
Green Mountain Audio

Username: Royj

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 2
I realize now that part of what I wrote in my earlier message could be misconstrued or misinterpreted. I apologize for miscommunicating.

I meant to say that our website is being developed in-house, supervised by our CEO Janet Lynn. She has the enormous task of ensuring that our new website fully captures 18 years worth of GMA. We acknowledge that the current website does not serve our company very well, if at all. It was done very quickly, right before Christmas.

The unregistered mauimusicman is not our employee, we don't know his identity, and further, based upon what I've read he's not credible, either.

Janet and I welcome the opportunity to clarify any reader's concerns. Please contact us directly with any questions, comments, darts, or suggestions.

Roy Johnson
Founder and Designer
Green Mountain Audio

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 201
Hare, hear!

Good on you mate...

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 588
Roy there were 2 unregistered maui's. One made a pretty eloquent if a bit overzealous argument for buying your speakers. He got on folks nerves because he consistently dismissed our gear as "not good enough" if it were not GMA. The other unregistered maui was apparently in response to most readers increasing dissatisfaction with the original unregistered maui's disrespectful comments to all of us. I don't speak for all of us but certainly many of us would be happy if we never heard of Green Mountain Audio Europa's again. Thank you for your clarifying comments.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 79
Roy,
Thanks for the very thoughtful and considerate posts. Unfortunately the most negative side of MMM's posts is that GMA's have been somewhat reduced to jokes and sarcastic replies. Which is a shame, because I would actually like to have the opportunity to audition them at some point, though there are no dealers near me. I have always found speakers such as Thiel and others who view coherence as very significant in speaker development to be interesting and worth listening to.

I guess the positive side of this could be that now the Europa has become a part off the everyday lexicon in the ecoustics speaker forum. Your insight and input are certainly appreciated and welcomed here.

Be sure to keep us informed on the new speaker development.
X

Username: Cousin_it

Post Number: 5
Hi Roy,

I hope you continue to post here to further clarify more about the specifics of your designs.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 646
Roy,

If my understanding correct if I think that "phase alignment" is a bit of a misnomer (and causes confusion) is that it is really time alignment that concerns you? i.e. not delaying part of the frequency band, relative to others, from steep filters?

There really appear to be two camps. On one hand, don't alter the timing with steep filters, on the other use a very steep filter to avoid having the same frequency band originating from two different drivers.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 150
Art put it pretty well. From my perspective, there was the original "maui" who was obviously a fanatic fan of your speakers which is fine, the problem was he would get quite caustic in his posts. I got to the point of simply ignoring his posts and felt as many did in preferring not to hear about the GMA ever again. After a few months an imposter unregistered "maui" showed up making those wild claims and AFAIK he is the one who finally registered the user name. The original poster is now gone from this board. IMHO, I'd be happy to see both people never return as neither really had anything constructive to contribute.

I guess the one positive as has been noted is we are all very aware of the prodcut now. I did check the website in my shopping back before the flames got too out of hand.

I am glad to see that you have come to address the issue and clarify where your company stands.

Bronze Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 16
Roy,

I can't say I've had much trouble with either manu man, but I do like the island alot.

Can I get (2) fronts and a center for under $1500, preferably in cherry, on 30 day trial of the Continuum 3s? If I like em, I'll keep em and sing your praises throughout the Northwest. (Of course, I'm not certain 110 watts per channel would drive them?)

P.S. - My brother also has a Ph.D. from the Business Dept. as a Golden Buffalo but he'd rather teach than make a real living, OR, so I tell him.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 222
GMA's are a bit on the pricey side David. Also, they are made of cast marble.

www.greenmountainaudio.com

Bronze Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 17
Chris,

It was a joke. I knew they were on the pricey side after reading one of the reviews and Art's comment. I am a noobie, see my post on speakers, BUT I'm not a crazy noobie.

WELL, yeah, maybe I am a crazy noobie, I'd take em if Roy offered 'em, that's for sure.

As long as I could return 'em if I didn't like the sound compared to my 15 year old mismatched BAs and Rock Solids. Come on Roy, there's a challenge you can't turn down, can ya?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 151
Amen to that Art and Chris! E.Ramsey

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 85
Hey Roy, I don't know the stuff on your profile as to your system, but it's one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" type of things.

Keep it up.

Peace

Username: Canadianwannabe

Oz, Ontario Edsterland

Post Number: 3
Roy. So honored that a designer of your caliber would grace this humble chat site. Even though I've never aactually heard the GMA Europa, I somehow sense its presence. No, I've never really heard it. But has anyone, really? I know that its there. And that's enough for me. Roy. Bless you for revealing to us a desire that can never be truly fulfilled. Its what we live for.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 211
Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for posting and for your concerns which I think are quite valid. Part of the problem, as mentioned, was the fact that maui never registered allowing that name to be co-opted by anyone. Frankly, this site used to be quite good and now it has been overrun with posters who have an agenda. The first (and probably real maui) did highly recommend your speakers which intrigued me. However, I was never in a position to actually hear or see your speakers. The first maui referenced reviews including those at audiogon which also rave about your speakers. Then it did get to be somewhat of a joke with the GMA speakers listed as the answer to everything which turned quite a lot of folks off. I have essentially left this forum and now post mainly at the AVS forum because of the negativity and the constant trolling here. I appreciate, however, your efforts to set the record straight and believe that your post was both appropriate and worthwhile. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us