Tweeter Cone Dent..."it's only cosmetic"???!!!

Anon4now
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a pair of speakers on-line sold "as-new" and was horrified when I received them and realized that the tweeter cone was dented!!! The seller says..."it's only cosmetic and won't affect the sound". I don't believe it.

I used scotch tape to grab the fragile cone and "pop it out" to it's original shape, but it still has a slight indent visible. I've done some critical listening and can't detect a difference between the speaker with the dented tweeter and the one without. Are my ears deceiving me...will a slight dent in the tweeter cone not affect the sound????

The speakers are Dynaudio Audience 52s. Speaker experts...what do you think?

Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 6
It may not make much of a difference, but that is certainly not "as-new"

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 306
After one of our children poked in plastic dome tweeters (on KEF speakers), I also found adhesive tape worked OK to make them basically convex again. But there was still a small dent. It eventually smoothed out by itself. Whether this will happen with tweeters made of other materials I do not know.

No, I couldn't hear any difference. But I suspect the deformation in the tweeter surface would make a line of weakness, maybe giving greater wear and eventual failure. My tweeters suffered no long-term damage. They have worked fine for six or more years after the surgery. I tend to keep the covers on, now.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 322
it shouldn't make much of a diffrence unless it interferes with the movement of the cones, which is the outside part of the drivers. Those domed things on the speakers that has a tendency to get dented are dust covers and they are intended to keep the core, which is the magnet and the windings, from gathering particles that can obstruct the back and forth movement of the cones.
However, some domes/dust covers are designed to "aim" or "tune" the driver, but a dent should have little effect.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 310
Berny,

I never knew that. It makes sense. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 68
Some people use tiny pins (like sewing type) to poke-and-pull the dust covers back to original shape. If it is truly just a cover and not part of the tweeter functioning unit like Berny mentions it will not hurt anything.

Anon4now
Unregistered guest
Thanks to all for the posts. I've spent the better part of the weekend listening...and I like these speakers more and more everytime I crank them up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us