Help me pick a rec! need advice

Username: Iamdickie

Post Number: 1
I need a new receiver, i love to watch movies and currently have a 6.1 system made by acoustic energy (aespirit series http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/products/support.htm ) Could someone recommend an amplifier to push these? I currently have a Sony str 895 amp, but it isn't enough. I was considering the Pioneer elite vsx-52tx, and the integra 5.4 or 5.5 .

Does anyone know if the 7.1 receivers are backward compatible to 6.1?

Post Number: 2
one more thing, if you have other reccomendations please post them i have looked into the 3805 denon, but everything i have seens said it was rather gutless. the biggest problem i have right now is i dont have enough power to push the 309 floorspeakers

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 69
Welcome to the fray chris. It would help to know what your budget is before folks can make good recommendations. For example, I could recommend the HK AVR 7300; it's a beast which will easily drive your speakers but it's not inexpensive. And yes, any 7.1 receive will do 6.1.

Post Number: 4
1000$ would be good.

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 16
If I'm not mistaken, Acoustic Energy are part of a group that that includes Arcam -audiophile systems. I don't know much about H/T, nor do I own a H/T setup, but from what I hear Arcam makes some of the best H/T recievers. If they are designed by the same company, or are sister companies, then I'm sure they would probably be a great match. Kind of like NAD and PSB. Arcam makes an entry level reciever for around $1500 retail. I don't know if their dealers come down on the prices any. You should check out audiophilesystems.com if you haven't done so already.

Post Number: 6
I really dont know, if that is the case i need to save up for an arcam avr300. Any other reccomendations on alternitives?

Post Number: 7
OK if you had those speakers and could choose between the following what would you go with?

Yamaha RXV1500
Interga (onkyo) 5.5
pioneer VSX 1015tx
pioneer vsx 52tX

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 106
In all honesty, I wouldn't choose any of the above mentioned receivers, they all tend to inflate power ratings, and with AE speakers, you need a cleaner power source than any of those Jap-brands will offer.

Check this out:
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AV R%207200-Z&status=
It's right in your price range, and it's got all the features you want. Plus, it's HK power (underrated, and extremely clean!) and it's cheap as hell!

Post Number: 8
hey, i didnt get that post what was the model #?

Post Number: 9
can someone please explain why the power source needs to be so "clean".

i have knocked it downt to 3 now.

Yamaha RXV1500
pioneer VSX 1015tx
Harmon kardon model?????

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 666
clean power source = REAL power that you can actually use because it won't deteriorate at high volumes.

My Marantz 5400 has an honest 90wpc which seems insignificantly less than the 100wpc that my vintage NAD amp has, yet the NAD blows it out of the water handily---in large part because its sound reproduction is so clean and natural that I can turn it up to +10db and enjoy a far more pleasant listening experience than the Marantz at -10db which will already start to thin out and show distortion.

Just about every receiver these days claims to be around 100wpc but that's entirely for marketing reasons. HK is one of the few known for providing conservative numbers, and Onkyo is one of the most egregious paper tigers.

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 110
Check out your post number eddie....creepy...!

Anyway, the cleaner a power source, the louder you can go w/o distortion taking over and making your speakers sound like crap.

That HK model is the AVR 7200. It's been refurbished by HK (so you know it's done right) and it comes with the complete manufacturer's warranty, and trust me, HK backs up their products. Seriously, for 800 bucks, you can't get a much better deal...If I was going to get a surround receiver, I would go with an HK over just about anything.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 673
> heck out your post number eddie....creepy...!

LOL thanks for pointing that one out. Funny but in college my nickname was "S atan."

For $800 I'd be sorely tempted to go all-digital with the HK DPR 2005. I heard a $230 JVC RX-F10 all-digital which was very very impressive so I'm sure the 2005 can only be exponentially even better...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us