Arcam, Rotel..Hey Frank

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 67
Hi all. I looked at the arcam 300 a while back and Frank A helped out a lot.
Now I may look at a Rotel power amp(year old) and pre(new) from the dealer here in canada.
I have to check the models, I think it was a model at 85x5. Any experiences?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 548
Sorry Nuck, no experience. Question for you though: why are you looking at the Rotel? What purpose do you want it to serve?

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
looking to improve on my preswent amp, only fit for optical and wont play my sacd(one) or do digital, its an older h/k.
The price of Arcam and other high end stuff scared me a bit, and does not have a high SAF.

Oh well.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 550
I have some experience with Rotel amps. They're pretty good and their power goes a long way, even if the numbers don't look that hot (such as your 85x5). They're not as musical as the Arcam in my view (though some people prefer them occasionally).

I don't recognise an 85x5 Rotel power amp. Perhaps it's a model from a couple of years ago, unless you've got the numbers wrong and it's actually an RMB-1075 (120x5 and quite a power house). The processor would be something like the RSP-1068 or the older RSP-1066. These are fine processors.

The Rotel pre/power has a nicely balanced sound, superior to most other makes such as Denon and Pioneer in my view. It's a little more neutral and natural and this is why it's a little mosre musical than the usual surround sound brigade (Arcam excepted of course). This does mean that the Rotel is more susceptible to the matching interconnects and these will cost you more cash since you will have to buy 5 decent runs between the processor and power amp which you wouldn't have to pay for with an integrated receiver. That said, the pre/power is a better solution than the integrated, generally speaking. Try to get some neutral interconnects and at least ensure they're the same make across the channels to maintain the timbre and presentation in the soundfield. The cable I suggest would be Chord Co, but over on your side of the pond I don't know what would be a good choice.

Good luck!
Frank.

Bronze Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 72
Well heres the new baby.
Rotel 985 5 channel amp, and the h/k stays as pre amp and maybe channels for the rears.
couple years old, but still warrantied for a couple more.
As soon as I get some help to re-arrange the parts on the shelves, we shall see what happens.
$800 cdn out the door seemed ok for me.
looks good for the WAF as well.
Stay tuned

Bronze Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 75
The Rotel runs as advertised. lots of power, I can almost feel that big, big torroidal.
I can now listen in stereo, and the psb silver's drivers finally have some snap! Not more bass, but a punch I've never heard, like my mamma whackin' the back of my head with the snare.
pop pop pop, on the noggin.
Have yet to try a movie, just diggin' James Taylor Live too much for the moment.
But I need to rewire with a 20 amp circuit, pretty much maxed out with 3 amplifiers on the one line. Not unexpected, but a bit of work.

Peace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us