Old receivers

mike12
Unregistered guest
alright, just a simple question.
i've got two vintage pioneer receivers: an SX-980 and a SX-535 and i care very deeply for both of them. i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to prolog the life of these units. i've heard that to avoid the potentially damaging current spike that happens every time you turn the power on some people leave them on 24/7. is this a good idea?

any info is appreciated
,mike

Username: Optiflat

Tucson, AZ. U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE 24/7 THING BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO REMOVE THE COVER AND DUST AROUND INSIDE OF IT. I RUINED 2 RCVRS. THAT WAY BEFORE I FOUND OUT IT WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO. IF THEY NEED CLEANING, THE BEST WAY IS TO REMOVE THE COVER AND SET IT ON A MILK CRATE IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR BACK YARD ON A BREEZY DAY FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE HOURS.
ALSO: Excessive heat will shorten the life of any electronic component, so good ventalation to the rcvr grill will certainly help. You may even consider placing a small computer fan atop the grill.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3729

With two receivers which have lasted thirty years or so there isn't much you can do to proplong their life other than basic common sense items. If you do not have the units plugged into a good surge protector go spend more than $10 on a decent device to protect the amps from lightning or power surges.

I generally leave my equipment on 24/7 to eliminate the large surge of power that comes into the amp at turn on. I have several amps that run constantly that are the age of your Pioneers or older. The reasoning is the amps are always stablized in temperature so the brittleness which comes from heating and cooling is minimized. (The heating and cooling effect is what finally destroys a lamp when the filament becomes brittle from constant expansion and contraction. A lamp seldoms burns out while it is in use, but normally will go out when it is hit with 120 volts.) The advantages in longevity from a constant on cycle can be discounted when an amplifier is still running after this many years of on/off cycling. Both of your amps, if I remember correctly, have relays which will minimize the power surge so the benefit is probably down to a small amount. There is no need to clean anything inside the receiver other than the workings of the volume, balance and selector pots should they get scratchy from oxidation. Most amps that are used on a regular basis do not have this problem often.

The largest killer of older equipment is letting it sit without playing. The capacitors will dry out just like the rubber materials on a car that has been left to sit. When 120 volts hits a dried up cap, then the problems can become catastrophic. Eventually the power supply caps will leak; this is a common occurence in any amplifier. When you hear a 60 Hz ground noise, a cap is going out. Most power supply and blocking capacitors can be replaced with generic equivalents if you can find a shop that will work on the unit.

Listen to them and keep your fingers crossed. Too many of the parts for those receivers are no longer available for repair.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 451
Dan,

I imagine you can probably do the same thing that people do with their computers: use those cans of compressed air that Office Depot sells to get the dust out. Might be a little safer than your back yard in case of a sudden downpour.

Username: Boba

New albany, Indiana Usa

Post Number: 1
i deal in vintage equipment and own a sansui 4000. i think these units are much better than many of the newer ones. i am sure you like your units very much. turn them on and off. make sure volume is low when turning on. you can take a unit out of the cabinet and use some pressurized air to blow out dust. that is all. be careful. it is dust and heat that are hard on a piece.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3902

Mr. Anderson - See if you can assist Mr. Chulian:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/10927.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us