DPR 2005

Username: Pkhona

Post Number: 4
All,

I had bought Sony's STRDA5000ES, returned it after going over the user reviews of the product. Still I am inclined for digital amp in the receiver.

How is DPR 2005 from H/K ? Any experiences. The prices of this unit have come down to moon (from jupiter) - costs about $899 from Frys.

-purvesh

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 644
I'd certainly give it a try, being an HK I'd expect it to easily outperform a Sony.

You might want to buy it from jandr.com since they're about $50 less than Fry's plus ZERO sales tax (unless you live in NY of course). They are very good about refunds and exchanges too.

Username: Mreamy

Post Number: 2
Looks like the DPR 2005's are going for less than $700 on ebay in the HK store.
I too am curious if they are worth it. Is Digital Path hype? Could get a HK 635 for about the same price with more inputs, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 654
I haven't heard the HK all-digitals myself but I did hear the $230 JVC RX-F10 when I was auditioning Ascend speakers and even that super-low-priced model was impressive: incredibly crisp detail, transparency and open/airy sound though perhaps not as robust as my current vintage NAD analog separates.

(To give you a good example of how much price-gouging Fry's does, they sell that same JVC for something like $400!)

I don't think you could really go wrong with either the 635 or the 2005 but personally I'd take a chance on the 2005 hoping that it will provide truly breakthrough performance. I have read of people selling their thousand-dollar separates in preference for the sound of the equally low-end Panny all-digitals so I'd think that an HK all-digital should be an even more solid bet.

The 2005 is sure to have better build quality and more audiophile features than JVC, Panasonic, or Sony, IMO.

Username: Mreamy

Post Number: 3
I'm gonna go by circuit city and see if they have any DPRs to demo. H/T used to be so simple :-)

Username: Pkhona

Post Number: 5
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the inputs, No store has demo setup , atleast in Bay area CA, don't know why.

Since I couldn't experience the receiver first hand, I settled for good old analog receiver from yamaha HTR 5890 - got it for $488 plus shipping from electronics-expo, am expecting delivery on 9th of this month.

-purvesh
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us