Polk XM Radio Tuner

Bronze Member
Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 20
I was wondering if anyone has heard the quality of the music from this unit (Polk XRt12 XM Reference tuner) for XM radio? I'll be connecting this unit to my legendary NAD 773 receiver....

The info below is taken from Polk's web site:
* Easily connects to any home audio system with either analog or direct digital connections
* Optical and coaxial digital outputs for lossless, pure performance
* Audiophile grade parts insure you'll hear 100% of XM's potential sound quality
* Built-in audiophile-grade Burr-Brown Digital-to-Analog Converter for superior sound quality
* Premium high gain audio preamp section that is dead quiet, low in distortion and wide response matches the output of typical audio source components (CD, DVD players)

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 21
I'm surprised that nobody has listened to this unit or commented about the audio quality.

Hmmm....I'll be ordering one to test as they have a 30 day money-back guarantee.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 626
I haven't heard the Polk but have read that you get pretty decent sound quality from the $200 XM MyFi portable thing, which seems a lot more versatile and better bang for the buck. Probably not audiophile-grade quality but very acceptable by most accounts.

The key though is having the XM antenna pointing in the right direction and preferably mounted outside, from what I've read.

I'll bet that Polk unit will probably be selling for half its current price within the next year or two as more manufacturers come out with competing units. Besides, Polk is a speaker manufacturer so for them to start doing electronics to me seems more of a brand-name-exploitation money grab most likely, I'd be surprised if it was a particularly great quality unit for the price.

JonD
Unregistered guest
i just got the Polk XM receiver (connected to my NAD 763 receiver) and it sounds great! i would highly recommend this unit to everyone.

i had the XM Roadie unit (the quasi-portable one you use in the car). i had it hooked up to the 763 through a y-jack from the Roadie. the sound quality was pretty bad - no dynamic range, muffled, barely sounded in stereo (you get the picture). but i love XM so i lived with it.

now i use the digital out from the Polk receiver directly into the 763 and it sounds awesome. full, vibrant, clear, "wider" stereo imaging, etc. - i would say CD quality, but i know that it's not quite CD quality b/c of the compression technology. i A/B'd it with the Roadie unit and it was night and day. i also tried the DACs within the Polk and didn't notice any difference with using the DACs in the NAD - which is to say, they sounded very good.

a better comparison is for those that have digital cable TV and a dolby cable box. there are some music stations (#'s 500+ on Comcast-Boston) that come in 2-channel Dolby Digital which sound pretty good. but the Polk XM sound is noticeably better.

the other cool thing about the Polk receiver is the on-screen display - it's simple but tasteful and comes in handy when you're listening to a song and think "who sings this?" - it's right there. and the controller is good, too.

so, for ~$275 bucks i think it's the best source out there (like an infinitely large CD changer). oh, and you can pre-pay the old $9.99/mo. rate for 3-5 years instead of paying the new $12.99/mo. rate as you go.

get it...

JonD
Unregistered guest
i just got the Polk XM receiver (connected to my NAD 763 receiver) and it sounds great! i would highly recommend this unit to everyone.

i had the XM Roadie unit (the quasi-portable one you use in the car). i had it hooked up to the 763 through a y-jack from the Roadie. the sound quality was pretty bad - no dynamic range, muffled, barely sounded in stereo (you get the picture). but i love XM so i lived with it.

now i use the digital out from the Polk receiver directly into the 763 and it sounds awesome. full, vibrant, clear, "wider" stereo imaging, etc. - i would say CD quality, but i know that it's not quite CD quality b/c of the compression technology. i A/B'd it with the Roadie unit and it was night and day. i also tried the DACs within the Polk and didn't notice any difference with using the DACs in the NAD - which is to say, they sounded very good.

a better comparison is for those that have digital cable TV and a dolby cable box. there are some music stations (#'s 500+ on Comcast-Boston) that come in 2-channel Dolby Digital which sound pretty good. but the Polk XM sound is noticeably better.

the other cool thing about the Polk receiver is the on-screen display - it's simple but tasteful and comes in handy when you're listening to a song and think "who sings this?" - it's right there. and the controller is good, too.

so, for ~$275 bucks i think it's the best source out there (like an infinitely large CD changer). oh, and you can pre-pay the old $9.99/mo. rate for 3-5 years instead of paying the new $12.99/mo. rate as you go.

get it...

JonD
Unregistered guest
sorry for the double post.

Edster, i thought the same thing re: Polk and what do they know about electronics. but i was impressed with the design, build quality, manual, sound quality, OSD, etc. - nothing to complain about.

i figured all the consumer elec. guys would get in the act on this, too, so i waited a bit on the Polk. but i haven't heard any rumblings anywhere (even the XM411 chat site) about anyone else coming out with a competing unit any time soon.

so, get the Polk. you'll be happy.

unless you want to wait for XM to be incorporated into the next Denon/Yamaha receiver...

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 643
Jon,

dammit, you've given me yet ANOTHER thing to add to my ever-expanding Audio Wish List!!!

By this rate I'll be divorced before the New Year, heh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us