Receiver that supports 802.11G

Username: Speigo

Huntington Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I am interested in buying a new receiver and want to be able to feed MP3's off of my home network as well as Internet Radio Stations. I have been considering the Onkyo line of Nettune receivers but the drawback is that it requires an Eathernet connection which will cause me to run Cat5 cable and that is a drag.
Is anyone aware of a similar capability in a receiver only using 802.11G wireless instead of Eathernet?

gvenk
Unregistered guest
There are very few choices that I know of in this area (NAD Netcap is sitting on a project shelf). Most of the vendors are concentrating on ethernet. The few wireless ones aren't mature enough (e.g., Roku). One reason the vendors aren't jumping into WiFi is because they cannot assure the QoS of your home WiFi network and may have to field significant support costs when people call and say it doesn't work. The techy geeks can manage on their own but that is too small a market for most vendors.

But the problem you want to solve is quite simple. Just get a 802.11G bridge (you can get fairly small ones), tuck it away somewhere near the receiver with ENET and run a patch cable between the two. This is a much better option now than to go for products with WiFi that are going to take a few years to mature.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 76
If you get a Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi and an apple airport express, you would have multiple ways to hook up. the airport express was designed to work with i-tunes and hook up to receivers. All you would need is a RCA to mini-plug Y-adapter. You could use ethernet, or USB as well.

Username: Birk

Post Number: 1
I have Bose speakers because my wife thought they were cute. Happy wife Happy life. I have an JVC receiver that has week output especially to the rear speakers. I want a new receiver that is compatible with the Bose speakers and also won't break the bank. I wouldn't mind a refurbished receiver that is a couple years old. Any suggestions other than replacing the speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 62
Greg I have 2 friends using the apple airport express and they are happy with it. If you already have a wireless router, you will have to do some configuration as both your router and apple airport will insist on brodcasting their own DHCP and your PC can get confused and make you want to switch between them. You can work it out though.

gvenk
Unregistered guest
From a techie geek, here is my advice, keep it simple otherwise you are asking for more trouble than it is worth. Forget apple airport express and the things it insists on doing without wrestling with it. You don't need a router/DHCP server and other crap in the unit. Buy a simple wireless bridge from Linksys or some brand name which is designed as a plug-and-play unit to act as a ethernet bridge to your wireless router. See http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=603 for a description of the Linksys unit that was designed exactly for the purpose that solves your problem.

To the receiver with ethernet capability, it will look like there is an ethernet connection for all practical purposes without you having to run the cables.

Username: Speigo

Huntington Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I like the GVENK suggestion the best. Being that my Router and NIC cards are all Linksys and as many times as I have been to that website I can't freakin' believe I never saw that or considered it.

My mind has been thinking in terms of the D-Link Wireless G media player that sits as a stereo component but I like what I saw when I looked at the Onkyo components that were net ready.

Thanks again to all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us