Looks for some speaker reccomendations.

Username: Vulcan

Post Number: 1
I am looking for some advice about what speakers to buy. I currently have an Onkyo HTS-760 HTIB, and frankly Im just not happy with the sound. The low end is decent, but the mids and highs sound a bit muddled and unclear. Anyway, I have decided to build a system from the ground up this time, after not being satisfied with two different HTIB systems.

I have a busget of about $700-800 total, including the receiver, speakers, sub, cabling. The room is about 11x12 and the system will be used 50% for music, and 50% for tv/movies/games.

For the receiver I've pretty much decided on a Harmon Kardon AVR-135. Any other receivers to consider?

The main issue is what speakers to go with. I have mainly considered Athena, Fluance.

The athena setup I was considering would be:
AS-F1 Mains
AS-C1 Center
AS-B1 Surrounds
10" Dayton Sub

The fluance setup I was considering would be:
SV-10 Mains
AV-SC Center
SV-6 (or AV-BP2) Surrounds
10" Dayton Sub

I've heard alot of great things about the athena speakers. The fluance speakers also have alot of good feedback, but I have heard some negative feedback. It would be great if someone could give me an idea of how the fluance speakers compare

Post Number: 2
hah, that should be looking.

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 74
Can't tell you about Fluance Speakers but I have Athena AS-F2's and I love them. Transparent, great detail, deep bass. Sound with authority. They sound good when playing quietly too. Unfortunately, there is no Athena stock at BEST BUY right now. Rumor has it that there is going to be cosmetic change to the line soon. I think you can still buy stuff on-line though. For the Athenas, you have to let them break in for a week or two. They are bright out of the box but calm down. An HK receiver would be OK. NOT A YAMAHA!! I had the speakers first hooked up to an older RX-595 ...sibilant and edgy. Replaced the Yamaha with a NAD...very nice combination.

Post Number: 3
Yeah, I wuld be buying the Athenas online from Bestbuy. Is the only ifference between the F1 and the F2 the extra woofer? I guess I will just go ahead and buy the F1s unless someone thinks the fluance speakers are better.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 539
By the time you pay local sales tax at Best Buy, the price difference between the F1s and F2s is around $80 (F2s are $400/pair shipped from audioadvisor.com) which I think is peanuts for the extra driver and top of the line model.

Bronze Member
Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 52
I had a chance to try both of time and it's worth the extra money, there's a big gap between F1 and F2.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 75
OH YEA! If you can get the AS-F2s get them. The F1s are good but the AS-F2s are SOOOO GOOD! The extra woofer makes a world of difference.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 76
By the way, I paid full price at Best Buy ($600 + 6% tax) in May of '04. I couldn't wait for a sale. I think they are worth every penny and then some.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 541
oops, I goofed on the math: it's $180 difference not $80. Still, I think it's well worth it.

Post Number: 4
okay. I heard the they ocasionaly have a 40.00 off coupon on those, can anyone confirm that? It would be grea to get those for 360 shipped.

cej22
Unregistered guest
You might get lucky if you check all of your local Best Buys. All of the ones by me at least had their displays of the AS-F1 for $99 each, but I found the last set of AS-F2s for $65 each last week. I'm still breaking them in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us