How powerful

B;AkcesoI/
Unregistered guest
I have 2 older acoustic room speakers. They have 2 tweets and a 12" sub on each. Im not sure what the rating or rms on them is but about how nice of a receiver would i need? Could i get one from best buy, i know they have decent receivers on sale for about 200 once and a while, would those be enough? Also when there 7 channel receivers and so on, could you bridge them? Any info on what i need and where i can get it would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3817

Most any receiver will make the speakers work. How much you want to spend is up to you.

B;AkcesoI/
Unregistered guest
if the receiver is 6x100 lets say, Should i bridge the channels if i need more power to the speakers or if i wanna run a powerful sub, or does the receiver automatically bridge power to the channels being used? sorry for the stupid question but i dont want to buy a 6x100 receiver and use 2 channels

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 609
No, most 6.1 receivers won't allow you to do that.

Buy a good 2-channel receiver like the Harman Kardon 3480, $300 shipped from jandr.com or around $200 from Harman Direct at eBay.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3824

As soon as you start talking about bridging channels, you begin sounding like you are assembling a car stereo system. Car systems and home systems do not operate the same way. Forget everything about car stereo when you come in the door. Home amplifiers do not bridge channels the way car systems do. In the home if you can't get the volume you desire with a decent 100 watt amplifier, then you need to reconsider your speaker choice. You do not need 800 watts of power in your home, only in your Honda Civic.

Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 5
Older Acoustic speakers w/ 2 tweeters and a 12' sub... Did you buy them from a guy in a White Van? I don't mean any offense if you did. If they are the infamous "White Van Speakers" I'd be very careful about any equipment you hooked up to them. I read a review of some white van speakers (can't remember the web address, if I do I'll post it) where they measured a lot of different specs. The impedence level curves were so bad that they can cause damage to a reciever. If you have the white van speakers, please don't invest in a reciever, get new legit speakers!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us