SACD and DVD-A Player, recommendations?

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 362
I am considering the purchase of a DVD-A/SACD player but I must admit I have absolutely no experience with these. I am looking to spend $400 roughly and considered the likes of Cambridge Audio 640C and Nad 541i as a cd player but neither have the aforementioned formats. Are there any players that will compete with the CA or NAD that play DVD-A/SACD as well., or should I buy two players? Your comments would be greatly appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1729
well vols you saw what I posted on the other thread.

I really like my denon 2200 also. and it's in that price range "now"

maybe even the new denons.

or just get the pioneer 563a for now and upgrade
later when the quality goes up and the prices come down.

but that pioneer is not lacking in quality in my oppinion!

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Thanks for the info

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2356
vols, I stick with NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio. There is a software glitch that I am confident will be fixed. No SACD on that one. CD and DVD performance is amazing for the money, I think.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 298
I second Kegger's recommendation of the Denon 2200. I haven't regretted the purchase for a second. Plays both SACD and DVD-A.

You should also check out the new Yamaha universal player that just came out, model no. 1500 I think. Personally have not auditioned it though, but the specs look impressive for a $400 player.

Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 72
You might as well go for the Denon 2910 if you are thinking of the 2200. It sells for just $50 more and it is a more advanced unit. I bought one a few days ago.

But both are more than you want to spend by at least $200.

Two cents recommendation of the Yamaha 1500 would be a good one as it sells for around $400 and does both SACD and DVD-A.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
great, thanks for the info guys

Larry R
Unregistered guest
There's a "whole new world" of DVD/CD players coming on the market now. I've been trying to play "catch-up," but failing miserably in my research.
I've been drawn to the Yamaha S1500 - but then I read in HomeTheaterHiFi that it is not all what it appears to be. They give it up and down reviews, but then, I don't read many reviews that are all thumbs-up!
My main interest is not in video, but in audio, so I have a special problem. Most people want DVD players for the likes of 72-inch plasma TVs - I have only basic TV needs - but great needs for audio.
I HAD looked forward to the new Samsung 941 - but the company pulled it with HDMI problems, and it may never come out now. The 841 gets very mixed reviews - I'm leery of that one.
The Toshiba 5960 was highly-touted as a VIDEO player - but Toshiba recalled it and came out with the 5970. BTW - if you have a 5960, Toshiba wants to hear from you. Access their web site.
Sony has a promising new player out - the NS975, for about $299USD. No solid reviews yet.
The Toshiba 4960 has gotten good reviews, but the build-quality is still in question, so I await further reviews from users - like our friend, Jan Vigne.
For under $400 USD it will be a feisty year, I'm afraid - so I still research.
Maybe the "old" Pioneer 632 - is that the right number? - would be best for me, after all - it has Burr-Browns inside, where its successor, the 578, does not, and the sound reportedly suffers.
The Denon 2910 would therefore seem to be the "best bet" - if you can cough up $650 or so for it. Sigh. . .

Larry R
Unregistered guest
A quick add here - the Sony does NOT play DVD-A, just SACD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Larry....I too am looking for music in multi-channel primarily out of this player, I figure I will stick with th NAD 541i for my 2 channel. I have a Samsung V4600 dvd player right now which is sufficient enough on the movies, however if I purchase one that can handle multi-channel I will probably use this instead and move the V4600 to the bedroom. I had not heard that the Samsung 941 had been pulled, when and where did you here that? I saw it in the Nov. issue of Sound and Vision and they didn't mention it their?

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
Here's some stores still selling the 941

http://www.shopping.com/xGS-samsung_hd_941~NS-1~linkin_id-3062421

Larry R
Unregistered guest
Sorry, vols, but those are "pre-order" sites - can't be selling them, because Samsung hasn't yet released it.
My information on this began on the Amazon site (which I go to FAR too often!!) In a consumer review of the 941 it was posted that the reviewer had contacted Samsung, and told that there were problems with the unit, and not to expect it before November. Later, this person posted something to the effect that it must have been "pulled."
Went on Samsung's site - all descriptions of the 941 had been deleted - only 841 specs left.
I've tried, without success, to get a direct response from Samsung. But a call to Amazon told me that the unit had been "put on hold." Many places will no longer take advance orders.
Now maybe all this will be cleared up in the coming few weeks. I hope so, because from what I read, the 941 would be about perfect for me!
If you have any updated info, please post it, because my info may be outdated.

Thanks, my friend, for the heads-up.

Larry R
Unregistered guest
OOPS - please note - my earlier reference to the "old" Pioneer should have been 563, not 632!

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
Larry...I haven't been as thorough in my research as I only decided in recent days to purchase a multi player. I have been spying the NAD 541i for a little while and decided to get one but I still want to experience the multi channel sound and quality, but I don't want to go broke buying a unit. When I came across the Samsung 941 it seemed ideal, I just hope that if you are right then they get it corrected soon. Maybe a nice little Christmas present, I will look into it further and see if I can obtain any info. I will certainly post it here if I find something worthy of talking about. Thanks for the info

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 11
Vols - U R welcome, sir! I'm still trying to figger out a lot of things - like how the heck do I PAY for this player? You know - stuff like that.
Samsung is very closed-mouth about this - obviously embarrassed because their new "star" is already tarnished.
LR

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
Ahhhhh, how to pay! Isn't that always the case with these expensive hobbies. I seem to have them all :-)

Bronze Member
Username: James0226

Post Number: 15
I am just wondering if anybody has checked out the Onkyo DV-SP502. It's a new release I believe, plays both DVD-A and SACD. From what I've seen (not much), I am really falling for it.
J&R has it for about $270.

Please share your opinions!

James

rksjr1
Unregistered guest
Hi, Looking for some advice/comments on some video equipment - I'm new into this research and have gotten most knowledge so far from people at Tweeter and magazine reviews. I've pretty much decided on purchasing a Pioneer elite pro 1120hd 50" plasma and would like comments - Also looking for the best DVD player to go along with it.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 395
rksjr1,
Try asking over at: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/2.html
You'll likely find more knowledge/answers over there. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 239
I'm seriously thinking of buying the Denon 2910, the video upconversion to 1080i, the burr-brown DACs for DVD-A/SACD, will be a great upgrade from my Panasonic F65 5-disc DVD.

I've found it in town for $975 (Canada), as well as on-line for $650 + Shipping + Duties + Taxes. I'm really thinking buying it in town is the better way to go, does anyone have any advice on a better model with the same features for a better price?

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 67
Have a look at Pioneer Elite 45A only $460 cdn., tax included and with the same burr brown DACs.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 244
Are you sure they're the same DACs?

The Denon lists as :

Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1791 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no cross-conversion of DSD

The Pioneer Elite DV-45a lists as :

Triple 192KHz/24-bit (3x2 channel) for Superior Sound Quality (Burr Brown)

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 68
I mean the same chip maker but don't know of the configuration.For $460cdn, its a steal.

Vesper
Unregistered guest
James, I was looking at the Onkyo DV-SP502E aswell but cannot find any reviews on it since it was only recently released. I am also seriously considering it and recommend that you all check it out, http://www.onkyo.net/uk/cms/products/home/dvd_play/DV-SP502E/index.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 24
Yamaha C750
Sony DVPNC555ES
Both changers.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 174
Kano,

You should be able to pick up the Yamaha c750 for C$400-500. Audioholics gave it a good review particulary for audio quality:
C750 Review

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1367
If you can get the now superceded Denon DVD-2900 for the right price it's performance in all formats is excellent:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2749

Anonymous

how does the Denon DVD-2900 compare with the Pioneer 59AVi?

Anonymous

how does the Denon DVD-2900 compare with the Pioneer 59AVi?

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 26
I had the 750 but returned it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 175
DS, why'd you return it?

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 30
I already was unhappy with no disc skip when the tray is out so you have to load the disc's in the rear slots,you have to slip it under the front part of the frame. Thats why i didnt get one in and it got stuck. It balso defaults to pl when listening to cd's so you have to push the audio button on remote to get to stereo even after it changes disc's,you have to remember to change it or it defaults back to pl again. I took it back because of the stuck disc and i was 2 days shy of 30 so i returned it while i had a chance. Not big deals but they bothered me. Audio and video was fine. So So bass management.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 176
Yea, I don't understand why they went with that design instead of a rotating tray. In fact, now that I think about it I hardly ever change the back two disks...It's more of a 3-disk changer than a 5-disk in that regard ;)

Steve Cinquegrana
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Yamaha DVD-C750 and it won't play the only two DVD-As I own - Neil Young's On The Beach and American Stars And Bars. Both lock the unit up until you unplug it. Not even the power button works until you do. It also locked up showing "Open" on the display when I pressed the drawer button while it was powering up. Kinda underwhelming so back it goes.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 350
There has been an issue with another NY album, "Greendale", on a Pioneer player. It was then an incompatibility with a new version of authoring tool used for making the album, and was resolved by a firmware upgrade. I'd suggest googling on yamaha, neil young etc.

Whether a firmware issue for your player or not, I definitely recommend to file a complaint right away. Jamming discs can destroy the player.

Good luck
AL

Username: Deeman

Post Number: 4
Brand new Yamaha DVD-S2500 MSRP $749.95. Packed with features...see http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD_CD/DVDS2500.htm
Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Natish

India

Post Number: 11
Onkyo DVSP-502 is a good entry level universal player.It plays everything even Divx CD's.But it doesn't have either HDMI or i-link out's.

Unregistered guest
I recently bought a sony dvd player DAV SC6.
But this player do not play mp3 recorded on dvd.
It says CAN'T PLAY AUDİO DVD.

How can I do to make him recognise those audio dvds.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3136
Sorry, sarkis. You can't. Sony players are tied to Sony disc and file formats. MP3 and DVD-Audio are the competition, and not supported.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us