Need Advice. HK AVR235 vs Denon AVR685

noent
Unregistered guest
I'm looking at these receivers but I don't know which one to choose. I have B&W speakers and KEf surrounds. WHat is your opinion? Thanks for your help

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1226
Those look like pretty similar receivers to me. I suspect the HK fans will tell you the HK sounds better, and you'll hear likewise from the Denon fans. In the end, you'll still be at square-one.

If you can, get your hands on both and have somebody teach you the setup and menu functions of each using the on screen displays, and buy whichever one you like using the best. If you ever plan to run 7.1 surround, the HK would be your choice because the Denon is only 6.1.

Good luck

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
As someone who owns both a Denon (3802/1082) and an HK (AVR235), I will tell you that the HK should have a richer, warmer sound than the Denon with your speakers. And, in making a choice recently, felt that the build quality of the HK was superior to the Denons below the 2805. You also may find that the HK has more/better connection options if you have a lot of things to hook up to it. That being said, Paul's advice is completely on the money - listen/look for yourself and see what's right for you.

noent
Unregistered guest
Thanks Paul and ZiggyZoggy for your advice. What kind of cables and speaker wires would you recommend? Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 513
I'll throw the ball into HK's court. I agree with what ZiggZogg said regarding the build quality of the lower end Denons. The quality of the HKs seem even across all models. With that said I would urge you to look at the HK AVR335 as the DACs and internal components are a step up and will bring out the best in your B&Ws

Gold Member

Post Number: 1233
Noent,
You just opened up a huge can of worms. I'd recommend 12-16AWG speakerwire depending on how long your runs will be. Lean towards the 12AWG if you're going to have long runs. I'd also recommend buying it somewhere like Lowes. They sell 12AWG wire for 35cents/foot. If you buy it at a stereo shop, they'll charge you an arm and a leg for the very same copper.

As for cables?? Another huge debate!! My best advice is to steer clear of the 'snake-oil' soaked $$$ cables, eventhough I didnt totally follow my own advice on that subject because I personally spent more than I should have on cables. Any quality made RCA cable will work just fine serving as a digital coaxial cable.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 863
noent,

this is one of those rare moments when I wholeheartedly agree with Paul.

However I have to say that I have never personally owned exotic boutique cables, since I have neither the wallet nor the meta-scientific leap of faith to buy them.

also look at accessories4less.com for some very reasonable prices on cables and interconnects, they have excellent service too. Whatever you do don't buy Monster Cable from a CC/BB.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 864
oops, forgot: partsexpress.com also has good deals on this type of stuff.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
my opinion on the boutique cables - on a modest system (like yours AND mine; sub-$5k) you are not likely to hear enough of a difference to warrant the price. And Paul is right on the speaker wire too... Lowes or Home Depot is as good as anything else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1236
Hey, c'mon......

Im right about everything. You guys should feel fortunate that I dont charge for such brilliance.

HEH
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us