Marantz SR8400

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through May 18, 2005Frank Kingman100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Stof,

I paid $458, $4 more than the lowest winning bid (range was $454 to $535).
However, that $4 was more than worth it since I went to bed well before it was over after seeing my status and guesstimating that it would hold up after the mega bids (and other bid re-raises as a result) slowed down dramatically.

I guess I did pretty well... ;)
Actually I know I did since this receiver is a good bargain even at $535.

The lowest of the ebay completed prices make this seem like a decent deal, BUT in all honesty those are just those who bought on ubid making a bit of profit.

AudVidMan
Unregistered guest
If anyone is interested in a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX 7.1 channel receiver (7 X 100 Watts RMS) with Dolby Digital EX, dts es and 'THX Select', in EXCELLENT condition with original box, remote and manual etc. (only about 15 months old), let me know...
I am only selling because I won the Marantz.
If I don't get a response here, I will list it online somewhere.
(I hope this isn't the wrong forum to even bring it up?).

I like the Elite's looks more, but decided to get the Marantz, mainly due to a few extra audio inputs.

The Elite, now that I think about it, also had a $1200 MSRP at time of purchase last year...

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 627
Good job all. I should have stuck with my guns at $460, but got a case of the willies and went to my highest bid: $500. Congrats to all and a special thanks to Edster922 for bringing this auction to my attention.

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 28
Morning after hangover :-)
I saved the final bids in an HTML file. The highest was $535, lowest 454 as reported. To give you an idea of the savings, take a look at this site:
http://www.audioconsultants.com/used.html#SurroundReceivers
Audio Consultants is one of the premier AV equipment stores in Chicago. You can see what they are looking for for used 8400 and a demo 8300.

The winner of this group seems to be the AudioVideo Guy at $458

Silver Member

Post Number: 629
Thanks Stof. That makes me feel a lot better. I must confess that I didn't stay up like some of you guys. But I was pleasantly surprised when I went to my UBID page this morning. Can't wait to get and install it. This is one of the best electronics deals I have ever experienced.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
39 units for sale at Ebay as of 9:40 CST this morning. All I have to say to them is good luck. As for whether the warranty carries over or not, can't be sure

Username: Jgz91354

Post Number: 2
Not sure whether carries any merit or not, but I called Ubid to find out about the warranty. According to Ubid, since the units came to them directly from Marantz they would be covered under the 3 year warranty from Marantz. We will see.

I lost my patience last night, and set my last bid in at $500. I hope I like it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 630
Marantz has made quality equipment for many years. Like most manufacturers, from time to time the company has come up a cropper. I remember back when I was in college, my best friend had a Marantz receiver and even then (circa 1970), it stood out from the crowd. Reviews, though scant, have been overwhelmingly positive. I'm with you Jim. My gut instinct tells me that you and I will be pleased. We'll see. Assuming it lives up to its reputation, we got one hell of a deal.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
I'm as excited as a kid again. Was going to order an HK DVD-22 to go with my 2-channel receiver, but now I think it will have to be the 31, even though my system will just be stereo for awhile.

What video and speaker wires should I buy?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 485
wires---simple generic Home Depot 12-14 gauge is just fine, ditto with the interconnects.

Do a search for "Cables" in the speaker section for the big debate. Or Google up "Top 10 Audio Lies."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I know I am looking for a whole set. If you go to Shoppoing.com (it's a bot) and do a search for speakers and click on All Brands, you will find almost 200 speaker manufacturers listed.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Edster, that "Top 10" column was very interesting. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 60
"Not sure whether carries any merit or not, but I called Ubid to find out about the warranty. According to Ubid, since the units came to them directly from Marantz they would be covered under the 3 year warranty from Marantz. We will see."

During the 1st UBID auction of the Marantz 8400's, I read the claim by UBID that they all came with Marantz' 3 year warranty. I was skeptical, so I contacted Marantz; they confirmed that, for the purposes of the auction, UBID was an "authorized reseller" and that all the units were indeed covered by the 3 year warranty. I would assume the same applies to these as well.

Congrats to all on your great deals!

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Just to clarify:

JH's mention of warranty was regarding my question
as to whether units bought on UBid AND then resold on ebay would still be under warranty for the new buyer....

Units purchased on UBid definitely do have a 3 year warranty offered / honored directly by Marantz.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
I got it for $460 plus shipping. I was a little pissed about it dragging on. I had $450 as my bid and was getting tired. I upped it to $460 and then went to bed. I really thought that I wouldn't get it, but the nice e-mail this morning nixed that:-) I can't wait to get it.

Pat

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
I can't wait either, even though it means hooking everything up again (pain since my receiver is in cabinet with no access from the rear.

I don't understand why they have manuals for almost every Marantz receiver (including older models such as SR8000, SR8200 AND SR8300) and newer ones such as SR7400, but not the SR8400 (or SR9400).

I was hoping to read the manual while I wait for the unit to be shipped and arrive at my door...

http://www.marantz.com/pdfs/

caseymou
Unregistered guest
Anyone have an idea that more may come up? I got angry at the whole "overtime" thing and quit at $430. That was my line in the sand. It would have been more if I had the funds to pay for the thing.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
AV Guy,
I will have to cut the back of my cabinet out with a spiral saw to fit this thing in there! I guess that will give it added ventilation, as I hear these things run a little hot sometimes. My old Yami presses up against the door as it is, and it's quite a bit smaller.

Post Number: 3
I haven't been able to find the manual either. I wanted to read it too. Maybe somebody has one they can upload here, if it exists.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Casyemou there are no guarantees, but seeing as how just last night they listed 7 units on a no-bid auction ($710) there are probably more units to go. I would wait a week or so. If not you may want to look at the Onkyo TX-NR801. It's a THX unit and has a Ethernet connection. Look pretty sweet and is about $200 less than anywhere on the net. I would have gone with that if this didn't work out again.

FYI I asked Ubid if I could go to their warehouse to pick up the unit, and they nixed it for "Security reasons". I wonder if they are going on Orange alert.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Casyemou,

I suspect they may have more.
Hopefully mega auctions, since smaller lots will likely go for higher prices...

Unfortunately $430 may not cut it since resellers will keep the price above a certain minimum regardless of who else is interested.
Besides which the unit has an inherent value that seems to be pegged at $450 and up based on the last two auctions.
Luckily many people don't know about it and UBid hasn't been carrying audiophile gear like they used to. I missed the entire first auction because
I hardly ever check UBid these days.
I can think of one site that I haven't posted to, that alone has enough members that the price would probably go up by at least $10 if I posted about it.
Don't worry, I won't. :-)
I am thrilled to have paid only $458 (+ shipping) for it.

In any case if that is your maximum, I understand. If they have more, I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
AudioVideo Guy I downloaded the SR8300 manual. Can it be that much different?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Never mind. It is that much different

Silver Member

Post Number: 636
I've been looking for the manual as well-likewise, no success. It's got to be out there somewhere. I'm going to try and email Marantz if I can find a contact address.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
One thing that puzzles me is why I can't find a SINGLE SR8400 review here, on audioreview.com or anywhere else for that matter?
This receiver has been out for a while, yet there are virtually ZERO reviews...

If anyone can find a review or the pdf for the manual, please let us know!

Thanks!

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
These seem to be common questions:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=12777&highlight=sr8400

boogaloo
Unregistered guest
Maybe it performs like the SR7200 did is this review! Peter posted this chart.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

patnshan
Unregistered guest
I sure hope it doesn't perform like that! They must have had a bad unit!

Pat

Anonymous

Don't worry from the SRx300 line of receivers onwards Marantz started giving their quoted watts. I believe they had difficulty sourcing good quality power supplies with the SRx200 and before. The 8400 will have plenty of 'effortless' power for 8 and 6 ohm loads they just seem to tail off some with 4 ohm loads.

Silver Member

Post Number: 641
Did a Google search on the 8400 and pulled up over 10 pages of stuff. But still couldn't find a comprehensive review or manual. Damn strange. How can a receiver of this reputed quality slip through the review cracks?

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
My sentiments exactly Dale.

After the first mega auction (the one I missed), I would expect at least some reviews.
Several years ago when UBId was auctioning off lots of high end gear, MANY people posted reviews at audioreview.com
Maybe they require reviewers to be registered now?

The manual part is also strange. The link has most models, including older ones, but not the SR8400.

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
I even went to the Marantz site and tried to email them. Filled in all of the info and included my inquiry. But every time I pressed send, the same blank fields appear without any confirmation that my email was sent. I don't really want to spend any more money on this, but I may call Marantz.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
I also contacted them online an hour or so before my previous post, but in my case it went through (got a confirmation).

Unfortunately I will not have access to that e-mail account till this evening.

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 33
Trust me, it's SWEET!

Xtal clear, way more omph than I really needed, but I am still very pleased with the profomance through the new set of Axioms.

Your gonna love it..... Congrats!

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
Thanks. That's very reassuring. But it sure would be nice to find something online out there from the "professional" reviewers. This is not to slight you JM. Your information may be as good as it gets. But the dearth of information-not even a manual-is very strange to say the least. It's only a year old. But your post helps a lot.

Post Number: 4
I talked to Kevin at Marantz, and he said that for some reason it was never scanned to be published on the internet. He said the web guys did not really have an explaination for why it was not published. He said that the 7400 would probably be the closest manual that have online now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Damn the Reviews.......Full Volume Ahead! LOL

I understand your concerns, I was in the same position, and had pretty much decided on the Yamaha 1500 unit. After taking the chance, I am very glad to have the Marantz. I am not an Audiophile, by any means. After working on Jets for four years back in the 70's I can only tell you the clairity the unit puts out, to my ears, is, to say the least, enfolding . I'm sure others may disagree, but I'm quite satisfied.

Luck to Ya!

Bronze Member
Username: Johnharper

Pasadena, CA

Post Number: 23
Do you think our Marantz boxes with our new receivers will also contain manuals? Should contain warranty cards as well. And what might happen if most of the 241 "winners" ask for manuals from Marantz?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
JH

There is a SR8400 manual/warranty/registration set in the box. The box came factory sealed from Marantz, just as if you picked it up at the local shop.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
I hope we get them tomorrow. Monday is a long way off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
You people chill. You will get your manual and your receivers. Have you moved out of your parent's basements yet?

Speaking of which, I played hooky from work and saw Star Wars just now. Way cool

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Mine still shows 'In warehouse', so it will be a little while before I receive it.

That is why I wanted to have a chance to review the manual in advance...

Oh well, I have got a lot of other things to keep me busy, not the least of which is work at the office these days.

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
Same status AV Guy. Hope it will ship soon. Stof, you dog. I wanted to do the same thing, but just had too much work to do.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Mine just shipped. I am just north of chicago (an hour), so I should have it tomorrow or saturday I think.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Ditto. There is no tracking number on it though. Perhaps with the $40 s/h they are going to hand deliver it!

patnshan
Unregistered guest
I got a Fed Ex tracking number. Huh? Wonder why you didn't. If you live in chicago, maybe they will :D

Pat

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
Mine shows shipped but no tracking number was provided. I'm in south central Virginia, on the NC border. Where are they shipping from?

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Three updates:
1) Mine also shipped!
2) Marantz told me the warranty is NOT transferable. :-(
3) Marantz (different dept.) will be adding the manual to the web site. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention.
I am surprised nobody from the first auction mentioned it to them...

Bonus update:
I now have a copy of the manual; they were nice enough to e-mail me the manual.
It is too big (3.7 MB) for me to start sending out to people.
I assume the web site will be updated soon anyway.

I am very happy with the customer service so far.
Both Marantz representatives were very friendly and quick to reply.
It is nice to know we have a 3 year warranty, since I know they will take care of us!

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Oops, the :-) after point 2 about having received the manual in my previous post is missing.
I didn't want only the frown (after warranty comment) to show up...

I noticed some of you posted about not getting tracking numbers.
I did get a tracking number.
I am very happy since it will be here sooner than I could have hoped for, based on estimated delivery date!

Can anyone who got one in the previous UBid auction comment on whether the receivers are double boxed for shipping?
I think I read 1 comment (somewhere) that they didn't and one saying that they did...

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Afte checking the specs, I am a bit disappointed about the FM sensitivity.
It is 16.8 dBf! (Luckily I won't be using the tuner too much; although there are some good stations around here).
My old Onkyo Integra from 1989 was 10.8 (or 11.8) dBf I believe (lower is better).
I checked a few pdfs and current Onkyo and Denon models are both 11.2 dBf

However, some of the other FM tuner specs such as alernate channel selectivity and image rejection seem decent and BETTER than competing models: 60dB at +- 300kHz and 70 dB at 98 MHz respectively.
FM S/N ratio value is decent for a receiver but not as good as an Onkyo I just checked.

Audio Section:
S/N ratio is 105 dB.
Output into 6 ohms is a respectable 135 watts per channel. (110 watts into 8 ohms we already knew).
Frequency response is also good: 8 Hz to 100 kHz for analog / direct and 8 Hz to 45 kHz for digital input.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
The FM numbers aren't a big issue for me. I bought an HK-3480 last winter to run my bedroom stereo. This momser will strictly be for cd listening and movies.

Stof, I don't want to move out of the basement! Not until I'm eligible for Social Security, anyway, and that's not for another 11 years...

...Gotta go. Mom's calling. She fell off her walker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
AV Guy could you clarify the Warranty issue. Since we have been going back and forth on it on this post. Am I to understand that the warranty does not apply to these units from UBid or is it that they don't transfer if we bought them from someone on Ebay?

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
G . Dark,
In addition, the sensitivity is not as much of an issue in areas close to transmitters (i.e. non rural areas e.g.).

Stof,
The warranty IS applicable to units bought via the UBid auction.

The following doesn't just apply to UBId:
If someone buys the Marantz from any authorized retailer AND then REsells the unit (e.g. on ebay or any other place for that matter), the new buyer is not covered by the warranty.
The warranty is NOT transferable; it only applies to the original buyer, that's all.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Update to my post from earlier this morning:

They have now posted the SR8400 manual online!!!
Enjoy.

http://us.marantz.com/support/product.asp?model=79

http://us.marantz.com/downloads/SR8400/DFU%20SR8400%20Final%20Eng.pdf

AVG

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
I noticed, while checking for any new mega auctions (probably won't be so soon after the last one), that someone (just) bought one of the 6 SR8400 units for US$710 + shipping from UBid using "ubuy it".

I guess he or she hasn't seen the recent auctions and didn't check ebay prices either.

Silver Member

Post Number: 648
AV Guy, thanks a lot. Now I'll try and find out why they did not provide me a tracking number.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
You're welcome Dale!

Good luck; maybe it depends on where you live?
They may use FedEx only for certain states and/or regions?
Or they may ship to certain states a day or so sooner than others?
Just guesses though...

I realized that the 6 units for UBuyit may NOT be directly from UBid, in terms of who is selling the receiver (not who is hosting the auction)?
It says originating location is "supplier's warehouse".
The description also looks somewhat different in terms of font, layout and wording etc. from the one we won...

Post Number: 5
Dale,

I asked Ubid through the email, and they sent me my tracking information (Fedex too). Mine should be here Wednesday. However, it still does not have my tracking info on the site.

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
Same here Jim. Mine expected on 5/23. Thanks to AV Guy, I went to the Marantz web site and printed the manual. At least I will be familiar with its operation when it arrives. Let's all keep in touch and compare notes once these things arrive and are put through their paces.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
MIne should be there today. I still have to cut the back out of my cabinet so it will be a little bit before I get it hooked up:-) I can't wait!
Pat

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I was looking at my account on Ubid and noticed a bit of fact I had totally forgotten. The initial auction for these MSR8400's was for 7 units that ended on 3/31. I had used a bid butler and my highest bid of $483 came up short as they units went from $522 to $532. Looks like I saved $60 by being a bit patient.

The manual is cool. I was a bit dismayed not to find the Comcast cable remote on that long list of remotes at the end. Does anyone know what is their cable box? Motorola perhaps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Just got mine at 7:30 p.m. I suppose it's only fair since I live just up the road from the warehouse. Now I have to figurure out how to get the kids out of the house for a few hours so I can hook it up. Pleading to the lovely wife may help :-)

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1866
To all the fortunate new owners of the Marantz SR-8400 - as a very content owner of the Sr-7300 I can only state that you are all in for a treat when you hook up this great piece of kit and let the music/movies loose. My only bit of advice is, even if you experience mild weather, be sure the receiver has sufficient breathing room. If you need to cramp it into a cabinet be sure to get a little 12v (regulated to lower volts is best) computer whisper fan, place over the vents to DRAW the warm air out. This creates an air-flow that will keep the machine at a reasonable temperature and unlike pushing the air into the vents, will keep the dust to a minimum. Enjoy - I am envious of the great deals you've had.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Just got it. It's not double boxed but appears fine. The dumb a#@ Fedex guy left it on the porch. The thing is clearly marked for any would be thief! Can't wait to hook it up. Gotta help the wife tonight:-( I have to do something to make up for buying this thing I didn't "need".

Pat

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
Patnshan, although I have not received my unit, I share your frustration with many of these carriers. I guess we should all remember that you don't have to be an audiophile to work for these companies. Just get it off the truck as fast as possible, move on to the next stop and let some one else worry about damage claims. In my experience, the US Postal Service (Service in that context is a misnomer if I ever saw one) is a lot worse. Good luck with your connections. I'm looking forward to it next week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
My Rantz is there any validity to this "Burning in" business that people are talking about on other discussions? How do you do it?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1868
Stof,

There are three opinions to the question of 'burning in' for hi fi components. A bit like the cable debate.

#1 - it's snake oil
#2 - sound improvement does occur after burn in
#3 - undecided

Some manufacturers clearly state that their products require a burn in period before optimum sound quality becomes apparent. To provide an answer is difficult because one is relying on 'auric memory' over an uncertain time period to determine any difference. Having said that, I believe an amp delivers better sound after a half hour or so of use at any time. Burning in is simply letting the amp run.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback on Marantz receivers 'My Rantz'.
I am really looking forward to listening to music and HT through this receiver when it arrives.
I was flipping channels and purely coincidentally stumbled onto a catchy song by a new band on MTV2, from Europe, that really impressed me. Would love to play their single (or album) with the 8400. :-)

I almost bought a SR7300 (OSE version or regular can't remember?) a few years ago for about $599 + shipping, which was a steal, but missed it.

I ended up buying a NEW Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
for only $484 + 30 shipping ($1200 MSRP).
Major stores all wanted $799 or so if I recall correctly.
I have been very happy with it, but the SR8400 deal was too hard to resist (I was already thinking of getting something with more digital inputs).

I really wish they double-boxed the Marantz; I could have used the box to put the Elite in once I sell it.

Hopefully everyone will use this thread to share their impressions with the community.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Just bought some Axiom M3ti speakers (3 of them) and a HSU-STF-2 Subwoofer (from Ascend Acoustics) to go with my Boston Accoustic pair (for the back). Hope it all goes together. After doing a lot of research it seemed like they presented the best price/feature for setting up for mostly video (projector) and some audio listening with my SR-8400. Any feed back will be great, since between them I have just cleaned out about $1500. Make me feel better please...!

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
In my experience, quality electronics do have a burn in period. I have a CD that contains material with wide ranging frequencies and is designed to assist burn in. When played over night, I can definitely tell a difference. You really need something akin to "pink noise" played over a couple days. If you send me a private email containing your address, I'll be happy to make and send you a copy at no cost. At least I can tell you the name of the disc which escapes me at the moment. I should point out that there are those who maintain that burn is bs and has no scientific basis. Take care.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Mine arrived this afternoon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 657
You lucky dog. I didn't recall whether FEDEX delivered on Saturday. Keep us posted. I've been studying the manual and I'm ready...

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Let us know how you like it guys!

As of now, 5 of the 6 that were available for $710 + shipping with 'UBuy It' have been sold.
"This product is being sold by an approved ubid Certified Merchant...."

The shipping is $29 for ground to my zip, so that is less than UBid, but $710 is a lot more than the $454 I paid :-)

I can't wait to hook mine up, although I will have to wait an extra day since my gf is coming over to help plant flowers etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I won't take it out and hook it up until I have my surround speakers and subwoofer arrive mid week. It will probably be next weekend before I get it all together. I will share my experience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Stof;

When you here it through those new Axioms, and think back what you spent, your just gonna giggle with glee!

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
UBid did ALMOST everything right.
Shame on them for charging $39 or $40 and not double boxing a heavy piece of electronics like a receiver.

That said, my box was in very good shape.

Luckily it didn't rain, considering there was no outer box - the delivery guy had left it at the front door, to the side.

My gf just arrived, so I am not going to get a chance to hook it up tonight.

I'll open the box, to at least get a look at the unit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
Arrived and connected. Preliminary review: this is an exceptional piece of equipment right out of the box. Updates to follow after more time to critically listen.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks Dale.

The Marantz weighs about as much my Elite VSX-43TX, but the Elite is actually MUCH taller.
I like the Elite's looks a lot more. The Marantz would look a lot better if it simply had a cover for the RCA jacks at the front.

I might hook it up during lunch today.

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
I'm a little concerned about the manual recommendation that 8 inches be allowed all around for heat dispersion. I only have that much room in the back. The unit only became warm to the touch after about two hours of relatively exacting use. May consider fan as poster suggested. But may do nothing. Your thoughts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Dale my Rotel runs pretty hot, the only thing I do is to avoid putting things directly on top of it, but outside of than any decent ventillation should do fine. Otherwise an open rack is a pretty good option (here is a picture of mine)

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/15977.html

patnshan
Unregistered guest
I talked to a couple guys on that issue. I generally get the consensus that if you are running it full blast for awhile, you should keep the door open or just get an open rack. I am actually cutting the back out of my cabinet, as the thing is too big. I may run a quiet fan across the back if I have a problem with heat. * iches seems a little crazy. What, they want us to buy a separate rack just for this thing? One thing I used to do is put my CD changer on top of the receiver. I am going to leave this thing more room, and put the changer, DVD player, and Prismiq on the shepf above.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
I talked to a couple guys on that issue. I generally get the consensus that if you are running it full blast for awhile, you should keep the door open or just get an open rack. I am actually cutting the back out of my cabinet, as the thing is too big. I may run a quiet fan across the back if I have a problem with heat. 8 inches seems a little crazy. What, they want us to buy a separate rack just for this thing? One thing I used to do is put my CD changer on top of the receiver. I am going to leave this thing more room, and put the changer, DVD player, and Prismiq on the shelf above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
Guys, thanks a lot. I've got plenty of open room in back and maybe 5 inches clearance on top. I think I'll be ok. Those of you who have not connected are in for a real treat. Takes a lot to excite me, especially in this area. But the overall clarity and realism that this receiver brings to home theater is astonishing, especially at this price point. Although all av gear is over priced to some degree, I doubt I would have felt ripped off if I had purchased it near it's original retail. And I don't even have it connected to my best speakers. At $500 (what I paid) or less, this is nothing short of a killer deal. I'll let you know if I still feel the same after listening to some music CD's. Edster922, if you're out there, thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
You're very welcome, Dale. Glad it turned out so well.

I should also thank YOU for allowing me to shop and live vicariously on this one! : )

Username: Foreverblue

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
Is this SR8400 capable of handleing 4ohm load speakers since the specification only indicates 110watts (into 8 ohms) X 7 ch Amps ?
Please advise.......and thanks guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Bhumi44

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

Post Number: 15
I HAVE 1,60,000 SERVICE MANUALS FOR ALL ELECTRONICS COMPONENTS AND EQUIPMENTS INCLUDES SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS, PCB
LAYOUT, FAULT FINDING, PARTS LIST, VOLTAGE SENSOR IN ABOVE 960 CDS !!!Post by spammer - Please send e-mial me:
info@bhumitapes.com
bhumi44@rediffmail.com

regards
kirit shah

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
HDLP if you look very carefully at the back of the unit where the speaker connections are it states:
"SPEAKER SYSTEMS
FRONT A OR B, CENTER, SURROUND, SURR. BACK :
MINIMUM 6 OHMS
FRONT A AND B : MINIMUM 8 OHMS"
Also in the manual there is this section:

AUDIO SECTION
Power Output (20 Hz - 20 kHz/THD=0.08%)
Front L&R...................... 8 ohms 110 W / Ch
Center ........................ 8 ohms 110 W / Ch
Surround L&R .................. 8 ohms 110 W / Ch
Surround Back L&R ............. 8 ohms 110 W / Ch

Front L&R ..................... 6 ohms 135 W / Ch
Center ........................ 6 ohms 135 W / Ch
Surround L&R .................. 6 ohms 135 W / Ch
Surround Back L&R ............. 6 ohms 135 W / Ch

So I guess the answer is no

Bronze Member
Username: Foreverblue

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
Thanks Stof.

I haven't got the toy yet but currently looking for one ? The fact that I am living in Canada therefore I couldn't bid on UBID.
I guess I have to look for it from Ebay whoever selling it are willing to ship it to Canada and @ what price do you think is reasonable to pay for ?
Also what do you guys think of it was made in China, Is the quality still there ?
I know the Denon & Marantz are from the same company but the Denon is made in Japan right ?
Any comments would be greatly appreciate.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
HDLP are you not able to bid on Ubid from Canada? In fact I found this on their site that allows you to "ship" to a US address that can end up anywhere in the world https://www.ubid.com/app/sgnon/default.asp
(look at address information section). Do they not accept non-US issued Credit cards?

I don't know these days if the manufacturing process (mostly automated no matter where you are) will be much different between China and Japan. Besides the 3 year warranty is still there from a reputable company. So I'm not too worried about it.

I'm seeing a lot of them on Ebay, but be aware that the warranty does not transfer, so buy it with that in mind. These are all people who got their units on UBid and there seems to be some great prices there. I saw some that have no reserve, so I think you may be able to pick something up for the around the same prices that we paid for on UBid. ($450 - $570)

caseymou
Unregistered guest
I'm still holding my breath for another batch. I will be ready to jump on it this time.

anonward
Unregistered guest
I just installed my ubid sr8400, and i must confess that this receiver has been the single best purchase i've ever made with respect to my a/v money-pit.

bigd484
Unregistered guest
Im in the same boat as kirit. While the manual states the reciever is only stable down to 6ohms I was able to find one person ( http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146941 ) who claims it has no trouble handling a 4ohm load. I don't know if I personally am willing to take this risk or not.... on the other hand if I don't it will just sit gathering dust until I get the money for my exodus audio kit lcr's :-(

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
bigd484,

You might be able to ask Marantz tech support (in writing, so you have a record in case of problems)
to see what they say about 4 ohm loads.

All,
Is there some kind of consumer-accessible (i.e. not expensive) equipement that can be used to SAFELY test a receiver's ability to drive high resistance (low ohm value) speaker loads?

On a separate note, I still haven't hooked it up yet; I will do so Friday.
I can't wait.

AVG

Post Number: 9
I got mine yesterday. Really disappointed. The back of mine is caved in where speaker terminals are located. It works, but I am not sure who I should address this with, Ubid or Marantz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
Joe, I am really sorry. UBID should have doubled boxed these things. But the carrier accepted them as is so make sure you promptly file your claim with the carrier. You might notify UBID and Marantz but be prepared to hear UBID advise that it was fine when it left the warehouse and Marantz to maintain the same line plus indicate it is not defective but rather damaged equipment. I'm a little cynical about these things based on prior experiences.. Get your claim in NOW.

Post Number: 10
Interestingly enough, I called Ubid and they said they have more in stock. They are going to send me another one with a shipping label to return the damaged one. The only downside is they are going to charge me again and credit my account when they get the damaged one back. So, hopefully this will work out.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Good luck Jim!
I am sure it will all work out, although the hassle and waiting aren't fun.
It seems you just had bad luck, since nobody else in this forum has reported any damage with theirs.

Even though mine wasn't double boxed, the Marantz box itself has decent padding and it arrived in excellent shape. I have to give FedEx credit for taking care of it (unless the dropped it straight down :-) which I would never know).
The other good thing is that it is solid state, so it is harder to damage than something with fragile loose components.

Even though mine seems to have been well preserved (barring a drop), I do think, as posted previously, that they should have double boxed it to prevent damage during shipment, especially considering the $39 or $40 shipping cost.
I guess they may not make that much off these, so shipping profits supplement their net income.

I could have also used the outer box to ship my Elite VSX-43TX when I sell it; I will probably put it up for sale tomorrow.

Silver Member

Post Number: 694
Jim, that's great news, except for the added shipping cost. UBID's stock just went up in my book. If I were you, I would still familiarize myself with the FEDEX damage claim procedures as a backup. Take care.

caseymou
Unregistered guest
Some in ubid's warehouse, huh? Where is that next auction? I'm ready.

Username: Stuman168

Post Number: 3
mine arrive on tuesday. the corner of the box is caved in luckily the styrofoam padding is quite thick. The box is not as nice as those posted in e-bay. Aside from the box damage, I am quite happy. I don't have it hooked up as a surround mode I am just using it as 2 channel. Sound fairly good for receiver but probably not as good as my audiolab 8000s.

ht snow
Unregistered guest
the first thing i did when i got my sr8400 is to open the chasis. what i found suprised me a little. quite a number of system boards were labeled sr7400! looks like they re-used most of the components from the sr7400, which kind of makes sense since the chasis, front panel and back connections are really similar.

The biggest differences from the sr7400 are in the power supply of the amp section. huge toroidal transformer in 8400 vs the laminate transformer in 7400. another highly visible difference was the double bottom plate with copper plating.

in fact, the 2 units are so similar, marantz got someone in a hurry to edit the 7400 manual, replaced some words, and re-published as 8400 manual. how did i tell? on page 3 of 8400 manual, that someone forgot to replace the words "employs a massive EI power transformer" with 'massive toroidal power transformer'. also, later on the same page, they mispelled 'Huge toroidal' as 'Huge troidal'.

in conclusion, if you are looking for reviews, just think of your 8400 as a 7400 with upgraded power amp unit with reduced noise due to the toroid and copper plating. It has everything that the pre-amp/controller section the 7400 has, but all the additional benefits of the lower noise toroidal power, and isolated copper chasis, and cleaner amp section!

congrats to everyone else who got in on this killer deal! i'm off to burn in and test this system!

Silver Member

Post Number: 699
ht thank you for your very informative post. I am most impressed with your eye for detail.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
ht snow, there are few differences outside of the power supply. These are some that I found:
1) SR7400 has lower wattage rating at 8 ohm and 6 ohm then the 8400
2) There are fewer available ports in the back
3) The sr8400 ports are all gold plated.

Now one can argue about whether or not these are really difference makers, but to a manufacturer it all really comes down to hardware and what they have to put in that makes differences in their prices and, in turn, what they offer to the customer. You will notice sometimes the difference between an $90 DVD player and a $150 DVD player is simply how many of its functions are available via buttons in the front (vs. the remote). More buttons, more expensive.

bigd484
Unregistered guest
Well after more research (google sr7400) and assurances from other forums I connected my kit281s to the reciever. Aside from a constant ringing in my ears from these speakers being driven to insanly loud levels (104db at +3 if i remember correctly) I am happy to report no real issues. My only concern is heat buildup. After about an hour of driving the speakers at mid to high volume levels the area directly over the heatsink became very warm. I should also note that while the sr8400 had no trouble with a pair of kit281s I did not connect the remaining speakers (kit51s).

Overall this amp has made an amazing first impression. It is able to drive my speakers with authority and ease. Setup is straight foward and simple.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
I am partially up and going. My subwoofer has not arrived and my back speakers are not installed yet, but I have to concur with the comments about its installation not being for the faint in heart. Although it is very intelligent, it took some time for me to do what I wanted which was to run all my A/V though there and make the TV and Projector unit basically a dumb terminal. It is amazing though how it does not have a port dedicated to Cable box. There is DSS port and they mention in the catalogue how you can use the AUX1 for cable, but there is no Video connection for Aux1. So far I have connected the Cable box to the DSS port and it works, though kind of awkward because I have to turn on the DSS using the remote then switch to Aux1 to actually control the Cable Box.

Any other ideas?

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Quick question, since I don't have the manual in front of me.
Can the SR8400's inputs be renamed?
For example my Elite VSX-43TX allows any input to be renamed (e.g. 'CD-R' was renamed to 'XYZ123 CD chgr', 'DVD' was renamed to 'Sony DVP-123')

Silver Member

Post Number: 711
I don't think so. Believe we are stuck with the pre-set stuff. Let me know if you learn anything different.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
You can change the source name on the remote if that's what you are asking. That's on page 35 of the manual. I don't think it will change the name that displays on the unit.

Guys any ideas on how to connect the cable box (my question from above)?

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks Dale!

Thanks Stof, but I was indeed talking about the display of the source (input) on the receiver, which it appears it doesn't according to Dale.

Too bad; that 'function rename' touch by Pioneer is great:
I don't have to remember exactly which source device is connected to which input on the SR8400 (I have multipe DVD players for one thing); I simply name the input the same as the device (usually brand+(optionally model)+type):
e.g 'DV-563A', 'Sony DVD' or 'RCA HDTV'.

I know the remote (I have a set of Home Theater Master MX-500s) does have flexibility with the labels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 720
AV Guy it is unfortunate. I have both a single DVD player and a DVD changer connected via optical cables. So I assigned the former as "CD". Be nice to be able to rename as needed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
Guys, if I use the preprogram codes for CD players, will the remote operate my DVD player assigned as above indicated? Or will I have to utilize the manual learn remote procedure?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Dale if the actual code will work in the CD mode (it will tell you with a big Error on the remote) then it should work. I think the DVD/CD are at least partially interchangable.

I didn't have as much luck when I tried to get the DSS button to run my Cable remote.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
I think (Haven't even hooked mine up yet, but do own the HTM MX-500 remote already) that you should use the preprogram code for a DVD player and not a CD player, since they have different functions.

You will have to hit the 'CD' source, but once that is done, I assume you can control it using the functions assigned by the preprogrammed code for you DVD player.

I haven't seen the layout of this specific remote,
so maybe I am wrong.

In any case, using the prepogrammed code for CD players, will at best give you limited functionality for the DVD player IMHO.

I hope this helps a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 724
Thanks guys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Guys I noticed in my unit the volume goes from -62db to +17db. I get almost no sound coming out of it until I turn it up to around -42. A normal setting for TV would have to be about -28 and a good sound pumping music will have to be set around -12. Now that would be about 85% of the volume it can produce. Is that normal or what am I doing wrong? The only way to get more sound out of it is to offset the speakers by about +5db in the setup.

I had not noticed it before because i did not crank up the volume and I didn't know what the range was.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Stof,

I have noticed this too. I thought it was due to my Onkyo speakers. I have to turn my TV up to about -28db with normal evening noise in the room.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1914
The volume settings you are experienceing are quite normal and you'll find you'll never need to go near the plusses unless you're looking for ear damage. On our SR-7300 movies and music at around moderate to a bit loud in a 24 x 24 room with high sloping ceiling ranges from -16 to -22.

Whatever you raise the decibel bar to in the set-up, you will lose in the volume range. If the range (on the Sr-7300 for example) is -71 to +18, raising the speaker levels to say 8db will give a volume range of -71 to +10. So the volume will get higher at lower numbers - it won't change the overall volume range which I believe you will find quite sufficient.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Thanks My Rantz. I guess I'm just not used to it. On my Rotel getting the dial past half would begin the ear damage process. Of course the sound was not as filling as this one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
Stof,

whoa, you mean to say that the Marantz outdoes your Rotel? I'm amazed to hear that. What model Rotel is it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
It's an RA-840BX4. It's about 15 years old.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
I am finally going to hook this thing up today!

I just ordered an audio rack that is OPEN on all sides (I have room for the receiver and three other components in a nice Bush video entertainment center that is supporting my liquidation sale HDTV set (I love bargains) but that still leaves two audio components and an Xbox standing on the side).
Now, I can put it all on one rack (it is expandable in case 4 shelves don't cut it; I think that should be enough, since some components are very slim and light and can fit two to a shelf).

I also like the fact that I won't have to plug all the cables in with the receiver located outside the enclosed Bush unit and then slide the receiver in.
That is a pain and also makes me less inclined to move gear from one room to another.

Since I don't have the rack yet, I'll remove everything from the entertainment center, I would have to do that anyway, and will hook it all up on the floor for a few days.

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
My Rantz is right. I too thought that I really had to pump up the volume (depending on source) even though the receiver is located in my bedroom and connected to fairly efficient speakers. But when I approached 0db I had to back off or risk hearing damage. Seems like it really starts to "crank" around -30 to -20 db. Maybe in a large room and/or with inefficient speakers, you might approach some of the lower +db volume settings. But I doubt you would ever reach +18.

Silver Member

Post Number: 734
Guys, if you own the RCA HD receiver DTC210, the remote is already pre-programmed to operate that component (at least mine was). Just press the DSS key and start surfing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Edster I don't think it's a really fair comparison even considering the power differences. At this point my Marantz is connected to three Axiom M3ti's and a HSU STF2 subwoofer. Its a far cry from the 40 watts Rotel amp hooked up to two Boston Accoustic speakers hooked up to a passive sub. So it fills up the room if for no other reason than sheer power and number of speakers.

Anonymous

Guys,

I know you are all sold on SR8400 and am seriously considering buying it, but I am also considering several other amps: Harman Kardon 7300, Denon 3805, Sony STR-DA3000ES. Can you make a compelling case for SR8400 against each of the above amps and tell me why/why not it is better.

engine giver
Unregistered guest
8400 good stuff. You want comparison, you do Google.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
You will have to forgive all of our gushing about this unit, mostly because we got such hot deals on them. I think the general consensus would be to stay away from Sony (even the ES model), but the Denon is an awfuly good unit.

davemoss
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a 8400 but I'm not sure if I want to go through ebay or not. Because of the warranty. Also, is there any downside to this receiver? Does it really heat up when the amp is going? Do you guys believe the receiver is worth $600 + shipping?

I appreciate the help, Dave

patnshan
Unregistered guest
You can get one new for $650 from ubid with warranty right now.

Pat

davemoss
Unregistered guest
Is the warranty worth $50 and has there been any problems? I guess my main concern is preformance for money. I'd bet most of the guys selling on ebay bought from ubid the 1st time around. I'm looking to move from a Onkyo TX-DS575X.

Thanks for the help, Dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Dave a 3 year warranty would certainly be worth $50. Also knowing that it has been shipped once and will be again with a Ebayer would be of concern to me. I think just about all of us who got the last deal are overjoyed with what we got. If you read above I think there was only one person with a blemish on their unit and Ubid replaced it for them.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
I agree. That is a lot of cash (in my opinion) to play with fire. The thing has a lot of electronics in it, and despite a quality build, something CAN go wrong. I like the added "insurance" and would certainly buy one with a factory warranty. The after market warranties are a much tougher decision.

By the way, I tried to send a message through the owner's circle on the marantz website and it got returned to me. Nice, huh!?!?! I wonder what's up?
Good luck.
Pat

Silver Member

Post Number: 789
In my opinion, the amp is worth $600 and then some. I have driven it hard and it becomes warm to the touch, but not hot.

davemoss
Unregistered guest
Hello again, I don't know how ubid works but they have 50 for sale and none have sold, will they drop the price and relist? Also this is kind of concerning me that no one has bought.

Thanks again, Dave

patnshan
Unregistered guest
7 just sold a couple weeks ago for $750 on UBID, I believe. Shouldn't concern you, IMHO. >400 sold from $456-550 I think in the latest auction. That is where most of us got ours. If you look around at other authorized dealers, you will see costs around $800 I think. You never know what UBID will do so if you want it and think the price is good (it is), go for it.

Pat
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us