Speakers for Marantz 2238B

Username: Leeintn

Post Number: 1
I just purchased my first vintage piece of audio equipment. The Marantz 2238B receiver. Just looking for suggestions for either new or vintage speakers to match up with this receiver. I listen mostly to 80's 90's and newer rock music. Room is about 14 by 18. My budget is around $600 to $800. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 17
Those things are sweet! My father's got a 2220B that I've been trying to steal from him for years. It sits in a box in the basement and the b@stard won't give it up. Anyway, I've ran my PSB Century 500's and t55's on it far a few parties and they sounded great. Very warm and laid back sound. Because it is lower powered (I think 35 watts) and about 25 years old, you may want to get very sensitive speakers (higher db rating) for it so that it doesn't have to work too hard. I don't know much about vinatge speakers, but most new speakers that people talk about on this forum - B&W, Paradigm, PSB, should work very well

Post Number: 2
Thanks. This receiver I bought off ebay from a seller who has had his refurbised Marantz products used by Marantz in their displays at trade shows. Paid about $250.. which is high but I think worth it. I never owned a Marantz before but had a cousin who had one back in the late 70's and I still remember the awesome sound.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 587
Great piece Lee. Brings back memories. I used to have a 2220B back in my misbegotten youth. Makes me want to listen to my old Altec speakers and Garrard turntable. This will sound bizarre coming from me if you've read any of my posts but I would look at some old Altecs or Klipsch (Heresy for example). Get yourself a nice rig and..a...oh..Im'sorry I was daydreaming.

Post Number: 3
Thanks. I know it is really two different animals but I was already looking at older Klipsch because of reputation plus I have a new center channel and for the price it performs very well.Any suggestions where to look is also needed. What options besides EBAY???

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 19
Lee - I've kicked around the idea of buying a reburbished Marantz for a few years now. You said you bought it on e-bay from a guy who re-furbs them. I can't remember the name - Shain's audio or something like that - if it was who I am thinking about, how good does your reciever work? Is it like he says it is? It seems a little too good to be true, especially with e-bay. If they are as good as he says, I'll seriously consider buying one, when the right model at the right price (which I think you found) comes around.

In regards to the speakers you mentioned, I don't know enough about them to give an honest opinion.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 20
Sorry - I'll seriously consider buying one from the guy you bought from.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 21
Sorry to keep posting over and over - If you think $250 is high, what could you buy for that price that sounds as good and is built like that today? One of my biggest reasons for wanting one (other than sound quality and nostalgia) is that it's probably the only stereo that the wife will allow in the living room other than a McIntosh, if I get some inconspiculous speakers that will either disappear or blend (Bose cubes are clearly out of consideration). My NAD and PSB combo is in my game room in the attic - better off that way anyway.

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 4
I'll have to get back to you on how it sounds. It is from Shain's audio. I will be hooking it up sometime tomorrow. Right now I have only Boston Acoustic VR-950 to hook it up to. They are a magnetically shielded tower speaker used mostly for surround use. It is really clean. A few minor scratches on the brushed face. And hey, you are right about the price. I can't wait to hear it.

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 6
Stu, hooked up the 2238 Sunday and WOW. Blows my Sony TA-F700ES integrated amp away and it is rated at 110 watts per channel RMS. Not nessesarily louder but the overall tone and bass response is not even close. Everything about the receiver is JUST as described by the seller. Also sent an array of bulbs and an FM antenna.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 52
Lee - Glad to hear it worked out so well. Once the right one for the right price comes up I'll grab one. Don't know exactly which model I want right now, but I'll know it when I see it.
If the Boston Acoustics do it justice, no point in changing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us