Paradigm questions (newbie)

Username: Mightyburner

Post Number: 2
As a newbie I'm finally ready to upgrade and I love the Paradigm Studio 60's and 100's.(Although the Def Tech StudioMonitor 350 is a consideration as well.) My problem is I can't fit the the CC-470 into my entertainment unit (unless I buy a new one and the wife is not about to let that happen). I use my system equally for music (including a small but expanding SACD collection) and HT. I know I should match my fronts as close as possible with the center but that's just not an option (yet). Any suggestions for a solid center channel (up to $700) that's not huge. My second question is about the surrounds. My room is only 12 feet wide as such my sofa is up against the back wall and my current speakers are stand mounted facing each other slightly behind the sofa (i.e., right up against the back wall). Should I go with the ADP 470's (dipoles) or just go with Atoms. Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Post Number: 363
For the second part to your question, Atoms should be ok since not much is happening back there. They sound better placed on the side at ear level than slightly back.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawn_f

Post Number: 12
Can you put the center on top of the Entertainment center? Matching the rears have always been less important to me than the center. So I would really work out a way to get a Studio Center in there. It would really make a big difference.

Shawn

Post Number: 3
I can put the center on top but I only have a 30" widescreen TV and being that the speaker is so large it would be a delicate balancing act. I'm looking at getting the Sony KV-34XBR910 but it would have the same problem. The CC-170 is somewhat smaller (especially the depth - about 4") however I have some doubts that the sound will blend in well with fronts. At this juncture I'm going with the Studio 60's up front and the Atoms in the rear. I'll keep my Sunfire Super Junior. Thanks for the input, I need all the advice I can get.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 201
As much as I like the Atoms[have a pair in my kitchen] I would not use them as a pair of surrounds in a Studio 60 system. The Atoms are nowhere near the quality of the Studio line and even though it's way more money I would use the Studio 20 if you want a direct radiating surround pair. There is just too much difference in the quality of these speaker to use them this way IMO. If the 60's and 20's are to much money then I suggest going to the Monitor 7 for mains and the Atoms or better yet Titans for surrounds. As to the center I would highly suggest doing whatever you have to do to use the best center possible; if you buy the 60's then get the Studio center; if the 7's then the cc470. I agree that Paradigms center speakers are too large and that was a factor in my decision to go another way last year and go with Monitor Audio Silver speakers and I'm very glad I did. You do not say what amp/receiever you are using and maybe we could recommend other brands of speakers with smaller but good centers to match with what you have. For example my Monitor center is only 19.5 wide by 8 deep and has no trouble on top of my 32" tv.

Post Number: 4
Right now I using an HK AVR 320 but I plan to upgrade before summer (Rotel 1055?). I can get the Studio 20's for the rear but I'll have the same center channel issue. I heard the Monitor Audio Silver 6 today. Very nice but the speaker is slightly less than 3 feet high. The center and front speakerswould be not be aligned (by over a foot). I thought that was important to maintain a cohesive soundfield.

Bronze Member
Username: Sbull

Post Number: 14
MM Miles:
How'd you make out? I recently heard a set of Studio 100's a few days ago and I believe my jaw is still on the floor somewhere in the store. I was all ready to whip out my credit card when I looked at the matching centers and came up with the same conclusion: no way that's fitting in my TV stand. If I decide to go with these, I'll HAVE to change my stand (I'm thinkin' it's worth it ;-)
Not sure about the Studio 20's, but I've read a lot of people saying the 100's need a decent amp to show their potential.
The 100's were being driven by a 400w/ch McIntosh when I auditioned them- it was a religious experience! I'll have to listen to them with my receiver and see what the differences are...
As far as aligning your fronts with the center, it's a luxury most of us cannot attain. The ultimate spot for the center is in the middle of your TV, but that's kind of distracting....

Post Number: 8
Steven:
Well this is the deal. I got the Studio 60's, 20's and CC 470 at 20% off retail. I think that was a decent deal. I really wanted the 100's but that would have meant selling off one of the kids. The speakers will be here next week and I still don't know how I'm going to explain it to the wife. The old "I won it in a contest dear" line will have to be used again. I got a Sanus center channel shelf (for $25) and between it and the TV, I'll have good support for the center channel. I love what I heard in the store so much I'm planning to buy a new entertainment unit before spring. I figure the wife will leave me and take everything except the speakers. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Bronze Member
Username: Sbull

Post Number: 17
MM Miles:
Spent several hours today in my local A/V retailer comparing their main sellers, Paradigm, Klipsch and Def Techs. I still loved the sound of the Paradigms with a meaty amp (100 v.2 and v.3), but with an Elite receiver similar to mine, it paled in comparison. Tried the Def Tech 2002 and 2004's- they were good also, but seemed a little muddy to me at times. Tried the Klipsch RF-7's and was very impressed with 1) the efficiency 2) the clarity of the highs. I took along a McPherson guitars CD (compilation of songs recorded with McPhersons)and the subtle nuances of the fingerings really shone through. Horns and brass were equally enjoyable. I also demoed them ala home theater with the pod race from Star Wars....unreal. Long story short, I took home a set w/ center & surrounds. Had same problem w/ center- had to get Sanus stands. Now I have to try and swing that sub....

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 12
MM Miles,
2 questions: 1. How are the 60's faring with your HK 320? I am considering the 60's in combo w/a Marantz 7400, HK 7200 or NAD 763, but haven't been able to listen to the 60s with them since the dealers with the 60s only have them hooked up to higher end electronics (like parasound separates). 2. where did you get 20% off retail on the speakers? well done.

Post Number: 1
Hi guys. Sorry it took so long to respond but between being sick and problems with my registration I couldn't focus on my speakers. Now that I'm on my feet I've had a chance to set everything up. At this point I'm not sure how long it will take to break in the speakers so I've been playing music (and some movies) almost around the clock for about 48 hours. Right out of the box I was very pleased with the overall sound. I'm very impressed with the CC-470 as I can sit on either end of my wide sofa and hear all vocals/dialogue as though I was sitting right in front of the speaker. Although I happy with the Studio 20's for music, we all know I would get a wider sound field with the dipoles for movies. Unfortunately my room configuration will not allow it. (My sofa is up against the backwall so I have the 20's on the side of the sofa on stands slightly higher that ear level.) My HK 320 isn't cutting it. I need to do more research first. Rather than incur the cost of buying separates,I was thinking I could add an amp for the time being. Any suggestions?

Steven
Unregistered guest
MM Miles:
Sorry you haven't been well & glad you're feeling better.
As far as your receiver not cutting it, sounds like the same thing I experienced w/ the Paradigm Studios: they seem to show their stuff with better amps. Not knowing your cost constraints, here are a couple of ~$1K options:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/755.html

http://rotel.com/products/specs/rmb1075.htm

Best of luck

Post Number: 2
Opps. I got my set at 6th Avenue Electronics. As for cost constraints I'm limited to around $3K but I can go a little higher if I sell one of the kids.

Username: Gpower

Bedford, NS Canada

Post Number: 1
I have owned Paradigms for almost 15 years. Bang for the buck I have yet to hear anything that compares. I have a set of 11se mkIII's as my mains with a cc350 cc and Titans as my surrounds. I was thinking of upgrading a few years ago but was talked into biwiring the mains and getting rid of my old Pioneer for a high current switching receiver. All the wiring has been done and the difference was hard to believe. Much tighter bottom end and improved clarity in the high end. Much more well balanced sound. Now I'm looking for the receiver and have pretty much settled on an Onkyo TS-X601.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 407
MM Miles:

I must admit that there are some days where I wish selling one of the kids was an option! Seriously, though, I think your plan to add a separate amp is a very good one. Let me suggest a few that I have heard driving the higher end Paradigms, so I know they would be a good match:

1. NAD 973 (MSRP $2K; Street price ~$1600). This amp is new, but is a real winner (I have spent a day with one and was very impressed). Wonderful sounding, warm, powerful and yet very detailed. 140 wpc x 7.

2. Anthem PVA amps (available in either a 5 channel, the PVA-5, or seven channel configuration, the PVA-7). Smooth, mellow and warm, it is another very good amp from the electronics arm of Paradigm. Until I heard the NAD, this was my favorite. Nevertheless, it is still one to be strongly considered. 125 wpc.

3. Outlaw 755 or 775. Another very powerful amp, built for Outlaw by ATI, I am told. Very nice amp, warm and articulate, that has a lot of power (200 wpc) and capable of driving almost anything.

Each of these amps are extremely good and each represents a great value, IMO. All are very well built and can be had for under $2K. Any one of them would be a great match for your Paradigm speakers.

Good luck!

Bronxville, NY

Post Number: 3
Thanks Hawk, Steven and the realelitefan. Your input has been greatly appreciated.

As the infamous "they" say,,,a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. So true for this hobby and especially in my case. My search to upgrade my HK 320 has turned into a holy quest. My options as I see it is to obtain an amp and then a pre/pro or just get a high end receiver and call it a day.

1) Anthem PVA 7 and AV 20. I can get the PVA for $1,100 and the AVM 20 for $3,200 at my local dealer. The PVA seems to be the logical choice considering it's part of the Paradigm family. However, the AVM 20 seems way over my head with a million features of which most I would not use. Remember I'm a Noob. I don't need multi-zone nor do I understand balanced inputs, blah, blah, blah. But the fact that I would have virtually everything as I learn seems like a good move too!

2) Rotel. Either the RSX 1067 receiver or the Rmb 1075 and RSM 1068 pre/pro. Or if I want to lose my mind, the 1098. I figure I can get a piece at a time and add a 2 channel amp later. I only need 5 amps but if figure I'll want 7 in the future so get it now. Another dealer is pushing the Rotel product. I believe I would get better support from this dealer but not price.

3) Pioneer VSX55ti. A much cheaper option that would technically meet my needs. I like the auto calibration feature as well. I know you SPL guys are cringing now. Yes, I have an SPL and I think I know how to use it correctly. The VSX59ti is a $4,500 option as well. Steven,,,what kind of Elite do you have?

4) NAD. I don't know enough about them. I do know that people who have it are either very happy or have problems. I've been reading the various posts and they are all over the place. Hawk,,,the only reason NAD is still in the running is because you sing praises onto them.

5) Outlaw is out. I just can't get comfortable with something I can't see or hear unless I order. I know about the 30 day guarantee but still.

6) Adcom. This seemed like a reasonable entry level way to get into separates but the dealer ripped it to shreads and pusded the Pioneer Elite. Recent reviews are good. Opinions?

7) Parasound. Out of my league unless I sell both kids and the wife. (God knows I would miss the kids.) In my opinion the Halo C52 would be overkill. I just love the way it sounds and looks. My dealer had it hooked up to the Paradigm 100's and I was blown away.

As you guys can see, I'm a mess right now. I'm just looking to have something that I can be satisfied with for a good while. As you can see my budget has gone up so I need to make an informed decision for that much $$$. Thanks for reading such a long post!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us