NAD 763 with Paradigm S4's and C3

Anonymous

Hello all, I wanted to get some thoughts on a receiver. I am going to use S4s for the mains and a C3 for the cc. I listened to them on a yamaha receiver and it sounded awful. Then I tried a NAD and it sounded terrific. I have read that NAD has a few reliability issues, but I really liked the sound of this receiver. I was thinking of adding a 2 channel amp (way, way, way down the road) or on Thursday morning if I win the powerball. Just wanted to get any thoughts any of you may have. Thanks.

Anonymous

One other question. How would one test other receivers with speakers not sold by the dealer. IE if I wanted to hear a rotel power the S4s. Do you bring your speakers to a local audio shop??

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 481
Where I live you write a check to the dealer who lets you take it home and audition it. You either like it and he keeps the check or you don't and he gives it back. I know the dealers so they don't even ask for the check. Congrats on the Paradigm Sigs I'm jealous. I own the Studio 40's and love 'em. I believe that the Signature series deserves something more like B&K, Lexicon, or Sunfire. Just an opinion. Sometimes our budgets keep us from doin' what we would like to do.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
I've shied away from NAD due to the reliability issues and noticeable hiss with no inputs. You may want to consider an inexpensive Yamaha or Denon receiver (Yam HTR-5860 or RX-V757 or Denon AVR-1905) paired with an amp from Outlaw Audio. I'm about sold on the RX-V757/Outlaw 755 combo. It's closer in price to the NAD 773 than the 763, but with better reliability and more power, as well as more features. You could also go with the Outlaw 7100 to save a few bucks and get 7-channel power.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Honestly I tried a Yamaha, don't remrmber which but around the $1000 mark and to me it sounded awful. As I said I have heard about the reliability issues for the NAD as well but it really sounded nice. I will see about taking home a few other receivers to see how they sound as well. Arthur, did you get your new sub yet?? I also listened to the servo 15 today and while it was great, I was expecting a bit more. I am curious to hear how you like your SVS. I am considering the same. Considering the size of my room I think I will have to go with a /2 model, but for the price the servo was 2 grand so an SVS seems like a no brainer. The servo didnt have the force I was expecting. I watched the Matrix and it didnt shake the room the way I figured it would.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 939
I can speak from experience on the SVS Plus/2, and this will need to be tamed to avoid breaking everything not nailed down.

This is not a sub for the 'faint of heart'.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/136710.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 482
I will be taking delivery of the sub today. Probably won't give it a good listen until the weekend.

Anonymous

I am guessing your son isnt 24" tall:-). I saw the dimensions on the SVS website, but I guess the numbers didnt register. That is a monster. Have you been happy with the sound quality so far? Do you listen to much music or is it mostly for music?

Anonymous

Sorry, that was supposed to read do you listen to much musci or is it mostly for HT?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 944
I use my system strictly as a HT, and I've been very happy with the quality of output from the sub. The best way that I can describe it is that it's the best combo of pure brute force, and smooth finese that I've ever seen in the same package. It's really quite incredible.

I was home alone for awhile yesterday evening and watched "T3" at reference levels.........Wow, that was fun!! It's funny that you happened to mention the "Matrix" in your comment, because I almost watched one of those last night instead.

Even though I never listen to music with this system, I'm sure the sub would be equally impressive with any source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us