8" sub and 12" fronts, set up question.

Username: Cm73

Post Number: 8
Hello, looking for advice.

I have a 8" sub and my fronts have 12" woofers. I set my fronts to Large (specs say go to 28Hz). I have my receiever cross over set to 80hz connected via the LFE input. I have my sub crossover turned to the max and the volume set at about the 2/3 right before it distorts. The sub claims to go to 34 Hz.

Would you feel, I should set the sub to 'no' and allow the bass to stay with the fronts, or have the sub 80 hz sounds be handled by the sub? by changing the speaker setting to 'small'. Or becuase I have set my fronts to large, will they simply handle the low frequency as well as the sub, leaving the sub for influcence on the sound but not dictating it?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 620
The crossover point on the receivre does not apply if all speakers are set to large and the sub to LFE only. So I'm assuming you have other speakers that are set to small.

A sub will usually do a better job at LFE content than even large speakers (unless it's more of a bass module than a sub). Get a good LFE-filled scene on a DVD and try both, and decide for yourself. There's no universal answer.

Username: Cm73

Post Number: 9
Hi Peter, thanks for the info. My rears/centre are set for small. I just get conflicting information about the cross over setting. I have my fronts set for large and my reciever set for 80hz and 'both'. my trick is where to set the dial on the back of the sub. e.g. do i match it to 80?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 623
No, if you can deactivate it altogher, that would be even better. Less circuity to go through. If you can't deactivate, you could set it to its maximum frequency setting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us