Denon avr2805 vs Yamaha V1500 vs Onkyo 702?

Anonymous

I am starting to build my system and I would like to get some help chossing the right receiver I have narrowed it down to either AVR2805 or Onkyo 702 the Onkyo seems to have an advantage by being THX certified I will use for both movie and music 50/50. I am planning on pairing with Infinity Beta 50 floorstanding (+5.1 setup) and as I am trying to get the whole system built up I would like to (if possible) match the receiver brands to the DVD/CD/SACD player (apx $400) Taking that into cosideration Onkyo may offer a broader selection of DVD players. Suggestions are welcome The bottom line I would like to hear the crisper music and fuller Home theather sound possible in these receivers price range

2cents
Unregistered guest
I'd take the Onkyo. Especially music sounds a lot better there than with the Denon 2805.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 114
Renarrow. Marantz sounds better than either. It's your money.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> I would like to (if possible) match the receiver brands to the DVD/CD/SACD player (apx $400)

Why in the world does brand-matching matter to you? There's absolutely no accoustic advantage in it; the only components that need to be brand-matched are the front L/C/R speakers and that's for timbre matching.

How much are the Infinity Betas? Those are good speakers but Infinity like Polk usually does not offer the best bang for the buck when it comes to their mid- to high end models unless you find some that are being discontinued and clearanced.

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 30
Both the Denon and Onkyo are outstanding receivers. Avoid the lower end Marantz suggested by Arthur Kyle as these will have trouble with 4 ohm speaker designs if you have any. The Denon 2805 and the Onkyo 702 will drive 6 ohm and most 4 ohm speakers on the market with authority if they are efficient designs 90dbl sensitivity or higher. I personally would go for the Onkyo 702 as it is Thx select certified which means that it's amplifier will drive speaker impedences as low a 3 ohms- "front end" meaning left and right front channels. The 702 is available from www.Onecall.com for $598. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Unregistered guest
Marantz are being dumped here, cheap:
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10341805

Yamafan
Unregistered guest
Yamaha RX-V1500, C750 DVD Changer through the Infinity system should be just plain sweet.

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 13
holy smokes, $475 for an 8400!!! I'm assuming that's brand new not refurb? It doesn't say which makes me a little suspicious...I'd check that out before ordering. (Drool, drool, drool!)

You do forgo the standard 3-year Marantz warranty because this is not an authorized seller, but at that price I'd chance it, gladly!

And since the 8400 is I think their second-to-top of the line model, it might just be able to do a 4ohm load.

Against the Denon and Onkyo I'd grab this Marantz in a heartbeat.

Unregistered guest
It says, Condition: New, 2 lines under, Quantity: 50.

Anonymous

edster922, brand matching is not my priority, sound is. however I am hoping to gather your suggestions as guidance to go and test them in a store. If listening I get to a pair that matches brands, great else I don't have a problem with that.

Having said that, I went to circuit city and tested both the infinity beta and polk monitor 70 with the onkyo 702 and the polk seem more natural souding. I was set on the beta's originally because they can be around 600 (a pair), had somewhat good reviews and had large 8" drivers (form factor I was looking for...whas trying to avoid whimpy looking speakers :-) ) the polk are expensive and personally that narrow look is not apealing to me. If you have some alternative speakers in mind, let me know and thanks for your comments.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 174
I've owned Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz receivers. Each brans has it's range from cheap entry level to flagship models but Marantz is a more solid line overall than the other 2. Onkyo is really not in the same class with the other 2 and none of these brands can compete with mid-fi gear like NAD and Rotel for sound. Given the choice at an inexpensive level I would get the Marantz over Denon and Onkyo. Avoid all bottom of the line untis if you can afford better. The Marantz SR5500 is a solid performer with from a reliable lineage (SR5300 and SR5400).

Unregistered guest
Hey Guys,
I'm having hard time choosing between Onkyo TX-SR702 and Denon AVR2805.I know there are many higher end receivers other than these two which may perform amazing, but please help to thru with selecting between one of the two i mentioned. I appreciate a bit explanation if possible on why you prefer the one over other.
Also Im planning to pair this receiver with AM15 Bose speakers, do you think its a good idea ?

thanks

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 205
Denon. It's that easy! I personally would not own an Onkyo. It's your money. Lot's of folks swear by Onkyo and I wish them luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Inquisitive Vijay,

Good God man, you want to use the Onkyo or the Denon for *BOSE* speakers???

That's like using a car engine to power a tricycle!

You might as well just start taking money out of your wallet and burning it right now.

Here's an excellent review of your Bose speakers:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
i'd go w/ the cheaper of the 2 and then get more decent speakers.

Unregistered guest
I have an Yamaha RXV-520 with Polk DM 6000 speakers. I want to replace the speakers to B&W DM-600 line, then I wonder if I should also upgrade my receiver. Main use is for music, mostly rock shows on DVD and CDs. I don't care about 7.1 (5.1 could be enough). Now the question: Yamaha RXV-750, Denon AVR 1905, Marantz SR 5500 or Onkyo SR 602? I've heard that Yamahas after the 520/620 line were worse then these older lines. Any one knows anything about that?

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 23
I just replaced an Onkyo with a Denon. Given that I haven't spent much time with the Denon yet, I'll have to say my first impressions with the exact same speaker setup are that the Denon rocks my Polks. Maybe it's the fact that I bought a higher end Denon (3805) which has about 30 more watts per channel in a 6.1 setup than the Onkyo, but I'm pleased with the choice so far.

Username: Iamcanadianwdsk

ONT CANADA

Post Number: 1
For Pansat 2300A & Fortec Star

BEV Nagravision
Provider ID ( 08 01 )
Key# ( 00 )
KeyData ( 82 D7 51 E4 5B 97 9D 81 )
ACTIVE as of 18-11-03 10:40 am EST

DISH Network

PRO ID (00 01)
KEY# ( 00 )
KeyData ( 79 B9 9D 5E E6 BE E7 60 )
ACTIVE as of 14-04-05 09:55 pm EST

Hope this will help ( I do not like to see newbabies-Testers get the run around.
I dont have to say his Name.
You know he's R U D E !!!
Your Friend DUCK

Username: Iamcanadianwdsk

ONT CANADA

Post Number: 2
Sorry I didnt look where I was. Wrong place Sorry Boys.

DUCK

Experienced Infinity Beta User
Unregistered guest
Onkyo makes some decent products. After owning both Onkyo and Denon. I would have to go with the latter. The Denon was more smooth and warm on my Infinity Beta's 6.1 set-up. Also the thing with Marantz. Both Marantz and Denon are nearly the same company, sharing both hi-end products and designs. If you visit their website. Denon's professional line is Marantz. Like Onkyo's pro line is Integra.
As for the Bose speakers, much overrated speakers. They design one OK thing and everyone is screaming BoSe.
As for having everything the same line. Go with Denon. Their DVD players have memory buffers to reduce the pause between layer changes (also skipping discs); they also having a much bigger variety to pick from. Onkyo DVD players are OK. Also get at least the Denon 1910 dvd player; the 1710 has a plastic face, while the 1910 has a metal face and a HDMI output.

HK does make decent receivers, and they do underrate their power. But the Denon just sounded more natural to me. Keep in mind that the OSD (On screen display) for setting everything up, does not work with component cables. At least that is what I hear.

As for other speakers. Speakers have a huge markup in their price. That is why you can find them so cheap online. So try them in a store, but buy online.

Other good speakers,
Klipsch Reference line. Which are horn loaded tweeters, which are the ideal tweeters for movie soundtrack reproduction. Even some of the Synergy speakers are not that bad. The nice thing about Klipsch, is they have high efficiency. So you can pair them with a lower power receiver.

Infinity Beta line. Don't get me wrong, I love my speakers. They can just be a little power hungry. Especially for my old Onkyo receiver. But nonetheless my Denon works flawlessly.

KEF are good too. Little pricey though.

My current system is.
Receiver - Denon AVR-2805
Speakers - Infinity Beta 50 x2, Beta 10 x3, Beta C250 and
CSW10
DVD player - Denon DVD-1910
Television - Sony KV-34XS955

Along with a Playstation 2, Xbox, XM MyFi, Dish Network receiver and a Mac Mini (5.1 thru M-Audio Transit adapter).

P.S. To kick a old man down. Hit up Ultimate Electronics if you are near one. They are going out of business after all. I did get most of my products thru various deals I have been lucky to take advantage of.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 238
Wrong answer, Denon and Marantz are help by the same parent company but unlike Onkyo and Integra they are completely independent.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 385
Eric wrote:

The Denon 2805 and the Onkyo 702 will drive 6 ohm and most 4 ohm speakers on the market with authority

I had doubts about the Onkyo at least. It's strange because there's no checkmark next to "6 ohm Capable" and "4 ohm Capable" here:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR702&p=f&class=Receiver

yet the same page provides a dynamic power value down to 3 ohms.

A friend had an Onkyo TX-DS575X and it sounded very thin on his 4-ohm speakers. The problem was solved by replacing it with a NAD. When I researched this, I noticed that Onkyo has very different ratings for Asian, European and American versions of the same model number.

For example, page 23 of the TX-SR702 manual says that for the American model you should connect speakers with an impedance of 6 ohms or higher and that other models can go down to 4 ohm speakers.

Is Denon any better? Page 13 of the avr-2805 manual says to use speakers of 6 to 16 ohms. It is not rated for 4 ohms.

Want to drive 4-ohms? Try NAD or harman/kardon. Do any other receiver under 1K$ drive 4-ohms?

Anonymous

Denon and Marantz have a parent company. But that doesn't mean they do not share technologies. Maybe experienced user guy didn't know about it.

BTW I liked your response...
"Denon and Marantz are help by the same parent company "
Sure are help by the parent company.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 536
The ford GT and Focus are also made by the same 'parent' company.

Unregistered guest
Inquisitive Vijay

Keep away from Bose speakers. As far as I know it's more design than sound, but overpriced. Stick to B&W. Try the SR 600 line.

Suggestion for a 20 sq meters room:

Denon AVR 1905
front: B&W SR 600R
center: B&W LCR 60
surround: B&W SR 600R, LM-1 or anything else
SUB: ASW 300 (or ASW 600 if budget permits)

For astonishing sound (and big budget) pick B&W 705 fronts and correspondent center.

good luck

Jorge
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Anonymous

GT and Focus are made by the SAME company, Ford. Now if it was Mercury and Mazda, there would indeed be a parent company, Ford. Much like Scion and Lexus, is Toyota.

Anonymous

D&M Holdings, Inc. That is the parent company of Denon and Marantz. Which includes McIntosh, ReplayTV, and RIO among others. They usually tend to keep technologies in house, spreading to other brands. Same way Harman industries does with their own companies. So therefore, Denon and Marantz could be conceived the same. But they should not. They are seperate companies with like parts and tech.
However, there are nitpicks. Almost all of the Marantz receivers are made in China. Where as, the Denon AVR-2805 & up are made in Japan. To some, the manufacture country makes a difference. Not to me, but something I have witnessed. Nothing short of picking something made in USA or Mexico.
Which to tie that with car statements of late. Most American cars are made in Mexico; where as, most Japanese cars are made in the US.

Anonymous

I currently own the Denon 3803 and am thinking of trading it in for an Integra/Onkyo after helping a friend acquire his first HT system. We were both impressed with the Onkyo and Integra recievers and ended up going with the 702. The Denon is powerful and smooth but it's less transparent compared to the Onkyo/Integra. I hear more spatial nuances with the Integra. Overall, the Onkyo/Interga has just as much drive and punch as the Denon but with added transparency and sparkle. I've had my Denon for several years now and always felt it lacked a little excitement driving my B&Ws DM series speakers. The sound is somewhat thick and dull. I've tried countless cables to fix this but have come to the realization that its the Denon receiver. The BMWs being laid back doesnt help the situation. Although I like the look and feel of the Denon receivers, I truly feel the Onkyo is the better sounding receiver. The 702 and up are THX certified which counts for something. Go for the Onkyo or the Integra equivalent...DTR6.4.

MM
Unregistered guest
Arthur Kyle either works for Denon, or has a grudge against Onkyo. In any case, take his biased advice with a grain of salt.

I just sold my Denon AVR-2805 because I could not filter out the "tinny" sounds, nor could I get it to push the lower limits of my SVS PC-Ultra. I picked up an Onkyo TX-SR702 (from bhphotovideo - great prices!) and am MUCH MUCH MUCH happier with the sound. It bangs my SVS and the tin is GONE!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 952
Providing your receivers freq response is set to "MAX", it shouldnt know the difference between receivers. Of course, there's always the exception if you buy a cheap piece of junk that wont transmit the entire range of low frequencies, but with the denon, that should be a moot point.

The SVS should sound exactly the same when plugged into any "GOOD" receiver that is configured properly. Regardless, it's nice to see others talking about their SVS subs since I have the SVS-PLUS/2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
MM,

after owning the Onkyo 601 for two weeks I would never buy an Onkyo receiver again. Not bad for HT, nice looks, user-friendly...but very lackluster for music. The humble Marantz 5400 that I replaced it with blew it out of the water in all departments.

Also I have read several real-world RMS tests which show the Onkyos as having the most ridiculously inflated power-ratings...complete paper tigers. Moreover even their high end models have a protection circuit that basically pre-empts pushing the volume to or beyond reference levels.

So I suppose if one mainly does HT and doesn't go above moderate volumes they might be OK.

Username: Hatebreed

Post Number: 4
Marantz and Denon sound about the same but I wouldn't go with onkyo, don't think they sound nearly as good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us