Great receiver???

Anonymous

Anyone have any recommendations fot a 7.1 receiver which will be used equally for movies and music in the $1000 range. I was planning on buying online because it seems like I can get a receiver for quite a bit less than retail. I have been looking at B&W as well as Paradigms for the speakers (speaker budget will be about $2500-3000 including sub, open to recommendations here as well) The room is pretty large (approx. 15x30)with 9' ceilings

schouse
Unregistered guest
I have the Marantz SR7500 paired with a Klipsch speaker package. It retails $1099.00, purchased from auth. dealer for $940.00. This receiver sounds wonderful for both music and movies.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 128
HK AVR635,Marantz 7500 and up, NAD753, any one of these will sound excellent with music and DVD.-E.Ramsey

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 684
As will the Denon 3805. Solid amplification (120 watts/channel at 8 ohms), very good features, and particularly good if you have (or will get) a Denon DVD-A/SACD universal player with Denon-link--as it comes equipped with that digital connection. Have seen it offered on internet considerably below $1,000.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 131
Sorry, I did not list the Denon Gregory because it has a $1199 list, Nonetheless a great receiver though. E.Ramsey

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 513
Anonymous,

check uBid to see if they still have any Marantz sr8400s for "buy it now" around $700-800. You just missed a massive auction for 241 of these units with Marantz warranty, they went for around $400-550 which is a steal for a list $1300 receiver.

Have heard rumors of another smaller auction like that coming next month from uBid, don't know if it's true or not.

You can find the same sr8400 resold from the uBid auction on eBay but they probably will not carry the same 3 year Marantz warranty.

Anonymous

I saw the marantz auction only I was a day late...story of my life. As far as the 1000 limit, it is not set in stone. If an extra 400-500 would make a significant increase in quality, power... I would probably go to 1500, but that would be the max. Thanks again.

Anonymous

Also when you mentioned the denon at 1199 list, I have no problem getting a receiver off the internet so if you can think of any receivers that list above the 1000 or 1500 dollar for that matter, range but could be had online in the 1000-1500 max range please let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 524
I think the Harman Kardon 635, at $750 shipped from jandr.com would be plenty for your needs. You can get the older 630 model refurb from HK at Harman Direct on eBay, they come with full original warranty, for around $400-500.

Put the savings into your front speakers and subwoofer, that's where you'll really hear the biggest difference, esp. with Internet-direct makes like Ascend, Axiom, SVS, Hsu, or Outlaw which will give you the maximum bang for your buck.

Username: Stuman168

Post Number: 2
how about rotel 1056? rotel has been known to produce good sound the only down side is the power and only 5 channel (75X5)

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 72
Depending on the speakers you are going to choose (as most any receiver choice should be) take a look at the Pioneer vsx-56txi. Can be found on line for under $1000.

Has several features that you may like, and tons of power,
All the basic bells and whistles of AV/receivers, DSp modes that you may never use, etc. BUT it has 2 usb connections and 1 firewire connection. IT's the only receiver in that price range I have seen that includes these. It doesn't have as many video component inputs as the Denon, though, and the bass management on the HK is more extensive.

the 56 has 100mhz video up-conversion. THX certification (which many will tell you is simply a marketing ploy, but THX does involve some post processing). It does a phenominal job on video and surround. Saw SW Episode 3 Saturday in a new, stadium seat type theater, and I kept thinking that I couldn't wait to get this home and watch it on my puny Sony crt set, because the sound from my system is so engrossing.

When it comes to stereo, audio, and serious listening, this receiver can deliver. Even though the 110 watts a channel may not sound as high as some others, it is some seriously beefy power. I am driving some older (Much) Monitor Audio speakers that would actually shut down my Onkyo receiver because of impedance dips. Have never heard a sign of strain from my vsx-54. George Martin's (of Beatles fame) Air Studios provided sound tuning for the audio.

Pioneer's MCACC automatic calibration is one of the more accurate auto-setups out there. It does include the microphone (instead of charging an additional $60 like some manufacturers), is easy to use, I am running my front MA speakers bi-amped, adn the setup procedure is included in the manual and is very easy to do.

Enjoy
X

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. I started another post as well so this might be a bit redundant. I have completely changed up the speakers after listening to the Paradigm S4s and C3. I heard them with a NAD T763 which sounded great. Also with a yammy that sounded horrible. Unfortunately those were the only options at the store I was at. I would be perfectly happy with the NAD but have read there are some reliability problems. I would still buy the receiver no problem, but I am wondering how could I compare the NAD against other receivers considering other dealers in the area dont carry Paradigm??

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 135
Listening to Paradigms will do that

I have a set of Studio 20's on a Marantz & love the combination. It's kind of hard to audition the combination you want to when the dealers don't carry all the brands you're after, kind of shooting in the dark.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake272727

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 26
Why not get a hk avr 7300 you can buy it for about 1200 on ebay hk direct.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 535
The NAD is one of the few receivers that will do music reasonably well. I'm not sure about prices but what about Rotel? Someone was saying that the Rotel RSX1056 is only a little more than the NAD T763. It is a very good receiver indeed, both musically and in HT terms, although the NAD pips it on music terms.

regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us