Paradigm Reference Series w/ Yamaha RV-1500???

Username: Shermstar

Post Number: 4
I need some imput.....I am investing in a new HT ststem and recently got the plasma (Sony XBR 42" 950), purchased a Yamaha RV-1500 receiver and finally I am putting the speaker system together.

I just listened to the Paradigm Reference Series and really liked them. Can someone tell me if this system will work together??

Paradigm Reference Series Studio 20 (front)
Paradigm Reference CC-470 (center)
Paradigm Reference Titans (rear)
Paradigm PW Series PS-1200 (subwoofer)

I am very close to getting this system and would love some insight. I am wondering if the Yamaha RV-1500 will power these speakers adequately. Also, if this is a well put together system. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 197
If you are going to buy the Paradigm speakers I would do better with the rears than Titans. I f you can afford it I would get another pair of Studio 20's, if not I would go no less than the Mini Monitor'r. You state list PW series sub then list the PS1200. They are 2 different subs. I personally don't like the PS series subs and I used to own one. I do however really like the PW2100 it's very musical and has plenty of slam for movies, it's the sub that I currently use in my system. The PW2200 I found dominated my whole system but it has benn refiened since I owned it. Good luck on your purchase. Oh and I would not buy such good speakersand then run them with a Yamaha receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 53
Arthur, then what receiver that you will recommend to match with these Paradigm ?
How about DENON 3805 ?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 202
NAD T753. NAD has worked out the bugs with these receivers and they sound light years better than Denon and Marantz which sound better than most of the other mass market receivers. If you buy an NAD be sure to get one that was manufactured in the last 2 mos, if not you may get one with a hum that the manufacturer will say is within spec and not fix. I have heard the latest production models and they are very good indeed.

Post Number: 5
Arthur,

Why wouldn't you get the speaker stands that go with the Studio 20's??

jimvm
Unregistered guest
I agree with Arthur about the rears. For the $170 difference in cost between the Titans and the Mini Monitors, you'll get much more of a difference in sound quality. He also makes a good point regarding the sub. The PW series subs are noted for being tighter and more musical than the PS series.

I have nothing against Yamaha receivers. As far as I know, they are well built and get generally good reviews. I do like Denon receivers though. If you do decide to switch to Denon, I think the AVR-2805 is more than adequate for your needs.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 203
I would get the speaker stands that go with the Studio 20's. I bought the Premier stands that go with my Monitor 5's. It's a long story but I uesd to have a reference series home theater with Studio 20's, Studio 40's, Active reference CC, and a PW2200 sub. Best system I ever owned. Got bitten with the Maggie bug and messed it all up. I'm on my way back up to the reference series eventually. And I don't have anything against Denon, Yamaha or Marantz. In fact I use a Marantz SR5400 as a processor with my NAD C162 Pre and Hafler 9505 power amp (home theater runs slave to the 2 channel setup). But if you are not investing in seperates (I don't mean a pre/pro as they just don't sound as good as even an inexpensive pre like my NAD or a Parasound), then don't go with a low current receiver. Get one with some real power. NAD, Rotel, and Arcam, are as cheap as you can go to get anywhere near the performance those reference series speakers offer.

Post Number: 6
Thanks Arthur,

I am stuck for now with the Yamaha but will upgrade as soon as I have enough pennies saved up. I am planning on getting the speaker stands that go with the Studio 20's.......and as you suggested, I will be checking into the mini Monitors tomorrow instead of Titans.

I was at another Audio store today and the salesperson was trying to talk me out of the Paradigm system I mentioned above (see thread) into a Sonar Farus bookshelve with a mix match of others for my home theater. After talking to my original rep, he said to go with the Paradigm's. He said the Paradigms have more balls and are just as clean and better for a multitude of different kinds of music. Does anyone agree? The Sonar Farus speakers look a little nicer but I want a flexible and ballsy speaker system that can perform while cranking a movie, or music....thoughts?

I was

jimvm
Unregistered guest
I think you're referring to Sonus Faber, an Italian-made speaker. Never heard them, by the way, but they sure are pretty.

Post Number: 7
jimvm,

yes, no spell check here! They are pretty $$ too! They sound sweet and smoothe but everytime a bump into another sales rep I get twisted. All the research I have done is pointing to the Paradigm system.

Bronze Member
Username: Dpriwin

Post Number: 42
Arthur, would you run Monitor 5's with Kent's receiver (Yamaha RV-1500)? I am assuming that the Studio 20's represent enough of an improvement over the Monitor 5 that you suggest running them with NAD/Rotel/Arcam.

By the way, Kent, out of the three brands that Arthur suggests, Arcam is without a doubt to die for. I have auditioned all of them in different set ups, and although I would be extremely happy with any of them, Arcam is, in my personal opinion, the best of the three.

Post Number: 8
Daniel, This means I have to start over in my plans......I don't want to sell myself short if I choose to upgrade the receiver in the next year or two.....thoughts?

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Kent - I don't think you can go wrong with Paradigm's Reference Studio series. Are there better speakers? You bet. But, IMO, the Studios give more bang for the buck than most speakers.

Don't fret about the receiver; the Yamaha will do fine until you wish to upgrade.

Post Number: 9
jimvm,

Thanks......

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 206
Daniel, I personally would not run the Monitor 5's with the Yamaha receiver. I believe that if a speaker is worth buying then it is worth running with something other than a low current AVR. Sometimes necessity makes us do things differently than the ideal until we can afford to change it. I certainly understand economic need as a a state social services caseworker who spent 2 hours in the rain yesterday picketing because we've been in a pay freeze for the last several years. And I do agree with you Daniel the Arcam is to die for by AVR standards. My approach sounds better yet for 2 channel. Buy a good yet inexpensive 2 channel pre amp and a good yet inexpensive power amp. Hook up your AVR to the video in's on your pre fom your front L/R pre out on your AVR and voila, you can turn your AVR off while listening to your 2 channel music. Well gotta get ready for work.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 207
To put it another way. Monitor 5's will sound better with a seperates than the Studio 20's will with an AVR.

Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 6
Kent,

Why are you purchasing monopoles for your surrounds? If your ratio is listening to more music than HT use then ok. If you are going for more HT use, then you may want to go with the Paradigm ADP's. Since you are matching your 3 fronts, you could go with the 370's from the Monitor series. These will work very well plus save you some cash over the Studio 470's.

Do not worry about your Yamaha... it will drive the Paradigm's as long as you set all your spkrs small, and set your xover setting 60 - 80Hz.

Good Luck,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Kent, please do not take my comments so seriously. I am a newbie who has had the chance to audition a good number of good brands. When I say that Arcam is great, it is my humble opinion.

The fact is, you already bought the Yammie. Arthur's opinion, and that of many other posters in the know, is that you will extract more out of the Paradigms with Arcam, Rotel, or NAD. However, there are a number of other posters, who may seem perfectly happy with the Yamaha/Paradigm setup.

ASk your Paradigm retailer to let you take the speakers home. Try them out with your Yammie. Listen to them and see if you like what you hear in your own environment. If it works for you, that is all that counts. In the future you may upgrade to separates (like Artur) or great AVR's.

Hope it helps.

Post Number: 10
The education and insight helps.....The Paradigm rep is a cool guy and he told me if I don't like the way things sound I can do a swap. I think ultimately I will go with:

Studio 20 v.3 (front)
CC-470 v.3 (center)
PW2200 (sub)

Not sure about the rears yet?? Going to ask about the Mini Monitors, the ADP 470's and the Titans. I understand that the setup of the receiver is of huge importance and I understand little to nothing about this. Luckily I have a guy that knows his business in regards to this.

Is there a schematic that will dictate the right set-up or is by personal knowledge and by what it sounds like? Or is this standard stuff?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 360
As I said in another thread, the sub doesn't need to timbre-match the other speakers. So unless you are getting a better package price by buying the PW2200, you might consider SVS or Hsu for better value (depending of course on the price you are getting it for)

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Post Number: 18
Kent, by "the right set-up" do you mean speaker postioning? If so, go to dolby digital's website for proper speaker placement for surround setups of high caliber.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

My 2cents worth is that you'd be doing a disservice to your HT w/ the titans as rears. the titan is a very nice speaker for the money, but i agree with steve that i'd try for the ADP series and if the 470 seems too expensive or you want to save a few hundred to put towards the sub or reciever then go with the ADP370.
Keep us updated on what you get and set it up with and how it sounds! I just got the studio 20's myself and will be going for the adp470's and cc-470. As for sub, maybe a Rel and looking at the denon 3805 vs the arcam avr300. Good luck.
-william

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 220
I respectfully disagree with those who believe that the ADP's are the way to go. If you ever intend to listen to multichannel music SACD, DVDA and the likes ADP's are not the way to go. That is why the high end setups generally have the mains and rears the same. Ideally if you have Studio 20's front you should have the same for rears, or at least speakers that are timbre matched and since the Studio 20's are the low end of that line that is what I would match them with. If economic necessity dictates spending less then the Mini's would be your next best bet. ADP's are expensive and reduce your flexibility. It's your money.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 75
Sometimes the room layout dictates some choices as well. I have the Studio 20's for mains (love them), and will be adding the CC-470 and Mini Monitors to round out the 5.0. Dipoles are not an option due to the room layout as much as budget. I'm hoping it will all work out ok, but I know it has to be better than the crappy Sony speakers I have for center & surround now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
William, is there a reason you are not going with the Paradigm sub? I have this desire to "match" the speakers.....is there a reason why I shouldn't? And Arthur, I plan on either the mini's or the Titans.......leaning towards the mini's.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 221
I have the Paradigm PW2100 sub and it is outstanding. I don't believe it can be beat for the money. I used to own the PW2200 and was not as satisfied with it. It had a more bloated sound that I do not believe would go as well with the 20's as the PW2100. Both subs need break in time before you can finish calibrating them for your room.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 366
Kent, you may match a look by buying the sub in the same brand, but there's no sound to match. So you are free to buy whatever brand you want. I can't recommend a better value unless I know how much buying that sub in that bundle is costing you.

People say it's a good sub. I had an awful audition of it from the local store which turned me off of it, unforunately. It might have been due to poor setup and calibration but I'll never know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Peter,

The sub is the PW2200 or the PW2100. I have heard good things but have yet to audition it. Will be doing it today.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 370
The one I auditioned was the PW-2200. I'm sure it must be a good sub and that I just had a very poor salesman, or perhaps he wanted to sell me something different. Go listen. But I'm terribly impressed by my Hsu STF-3, which is cheaper than the PW-2200 (but you may be getting a better price with your bundle). My sub story is here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/75628.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Peter,

I just purchased the Paradigm system:

Studio 20 v.3 (front)
CC-470 v.3 (center)
PW2200 (sub)
Mini Monitor (rear)

Heard the sub and it sounded great! The only delay now is picking the color...black or lite cherry! LOL! The sales rep is waiting my decision.....now I am at home staring at my furniture and floors.....then they have to ship....(the waiting is the hardest part, TP).

Anyways, my plasma arrives today...so I'll have something to obsess about until it's up on the wall.....then I can figure out my new HT furniture upgrade......it never ends. Thanks for everyone's patience and insight, it has been very helpful.

I will update you as the install unfolds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Kent, congratulations on your system. Would you mind reporting back your impressions? My vote is for light cherry!

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Excellent choices! Congratulations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hey guys......speakers ship on Monday but I am having some HT design concerns......read my newest post. (see below)

Does anyone have experience with Monitor Audio Radius R90's?? I am considering using these for my rear speakers as I have very little room for larger speakers that would match my set.

I currently have:

Paradigm Studio 20's (front)
Paradigm CC-470 (center)
Paradigm PW2200 (sub)

I purchased the Paradigm Mini Monitors for my rear but after a closer look, I am squeezed on room. I understand that I will lose sound quality with a smaller rear speaker. Can anyone comment on these speakers?

Thanks,

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 226
I give!

Bronze Member
Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 18
Kent,
Congrats... thats a nice system you picked out.

The MA's are good spkrs but I would stay in the Paradigm line. If you are squeezed for space check out the OW-Mini, or the one of the Stylus series. You should get a better discount if you buy all your spkrs from that dealer. BTW that 2200 is an excellent sub. My color choice would be the light cherry.

Good luck,
Steve

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 228
They don't make the Reference Series speakers in the light cherry anymore. It's; rosenut, black, cherry or sycamore.

Charles W.
Unregistered guest
Kent,

Hope you enjoy your HT setup.

Any update of your HT setup?
I would like to know te outcome of your Yamaha AV receiver and Paradigm combination. Can Yamaha drive the Paradigm speakers well? What about the sound quality. Warm or bright etc.?

I have a Yamaha av receiver and I also like to buy the Paradigm as I have heard good things about them. From your experience any suggestion?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us