Need advice..need receiver for my turntable

Username: Tvega1999

Chelmsford, Ma Us

Post Number: 1
short question: can someone tell me of a mid-level brand of receiver that will take phono input?

long winded version: I'm not exactly a newbie, I just haven't bought any audio components in YEARS, so I'm out of date. I finally fixed my turntable (my son destroyed the stylus years ago), I got a Sony digital receiver as a gift, but it has no phono input.

I desparately want to play my 45's and lp's, but I don't understand the manufacturer's tech specs found on the web, can't tell whether their audio inputs include phono.

I never had high-end audio components. I just need something of reasonable quality that will play a tape deck, cd player and turntable.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Tom

Bronze Member
Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 14
A quick search on the web shows a couple of models that are currently available which include turntable/phono inputs:
Harman/Kardan HK3480 starting at around $270 and the Yamaha RXV1500 starting at just under $600. So there are several choices out there though it'll depend on your budget and other requirements.

Chelmsford, Ma Us

Post Number: 2
Thanks so much konoyaro for the suggestions . I looked at both models, and will probably go with the harman kardan.

Thanks again for helping out. I'm one step closer to being able to play my Bob Dylan albums :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
No problem. Though please note, I just mentioned two random receivers that popped up when doing a google search on "turntable input, receiver". I have no personal experience with either. There are quite a few more items out there that would also fit the bill depending on how much you want to spend, what features you want, etc. In example, the H/K I listed is only 2 channel whereas the Yamaha is 7 channel. There are even phono preamps available for $40 that MAY work with your digital amp. Also, for the price of the H/K, you could probably find a very nice used vintage amp that will have a phono input and sound far better.
Yes, the number of considerations and choices can be mind boggling... Anyway, good luck in your quest.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 488
Tom

Most receivers do not have a true phono input and as time goes on, even fewer will do so in future. This has brought about a whole marketplace for external phono 'stages' which act as phono input preamplifiers. These phono stages vary in price from around $75 up to hedonistic levels (mine costs about $3500!) so there is a lot of scope. The really nice thing about external phono stages is that once you're sorted with a phono stage, you can then choose any receiver on the market, rather than restricting you to the odd few that have this particular function.

The cheapest phono stages on the market that I know of are the NAD PP2 and the Pro-ject Phono Box. Both of these are small innocuous boxes (so it's not like you're adding a whole extra component to the system). Just add an interconnect to go between the phono stage and your shiny new Sony receiver and you're off. Certainly, this would be a cheaper alternative than buying a brand new receiver, and oddly you'll probably get better vinyl reproduction because you're using an external phono stage. External stages benefit from not being in amongst the plethora of noise that a typical receiver generates in the box.

Regards,
Frank.

Jeronimo
Unregistered guest
Onkyo TX-8511 You can find it for less than $300.00
Denon DRA-395 $350.00
Denon DRA-685 $500.00

Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 319
Frank,

excellent advice, as usual!

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 491
Why thankyou edster...

Chelmsford, Ma Us

Post Number: 3
A heart-felt thanks to all of you, for taking a bit of time to educate me.

I will check out the pre-amps you mentioned Frank and konoyaro, and I will also look at the models you mentioned Jeronimo.

My receiver is a Sony str-de345 (it was a gift from my family). I just looked at the real panel, and I looked at the operating instructions, and I don't see where a pre-amp would get connected. I'm sorry, but there's nothing as simple as an 'aux' port, or a port labeled 'pre-amp' (nothing that simple).

What the hell should I be looking for, if I wanted to buy a pre-amp and connect it?

Thanks again.
Tom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Tom, you should be able to use the tape input. This assumes you don't have a cassette deck already hooked up. So the hookup would be turntable>phono stage>tape input. Here's a link to an online vendor who also has a FAQ section:
http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?phonpre.htm
Here's another:
http://www.audioreplay.net/
etc.
The suggestion for a low cost phono stage coupled with your current amp assumes you want the cheapest, shortest route to playing your vinyl. There certainly are many other options out there if you want to upgrade.

Chelmsford, Ma Us

Post Number: 4
I hope this doesn't post twice; I also replied to the email from ecoustics;

My message was, thanks again for your help. I'll check the links. I need to hookup a cd, tape deck and turntable. The preamp for the turntable sounded like an option, but as I said, I don't see where it would plug into the Sony I have.

Am I missing it, or do some receivers just do not have that option?

Anyway, I'm very grateful for the information and advice I've received.
Tom

Jeronimo
Unregistered guest
If you are still interested in a new receiver and if budget permits, check the Rotel RX-1050...it is excellent, should be around $800.00
Just a thought
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us