Acoustic Research

Username: Expos

Post Number: 2
I'm looking at buying these speakers...but I cannot find any customer reviews on them...not to mention much on Acoustic Research to begin with. What's everybody's take on these?:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3986020

I have an old pair of Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers that I've been reasonably happy with for the past ten years...but it's time for a big upgrade.

Any help is appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 49
I don't know too much about AR these days except that they are owned by Audiovox, but back in the late 60's and early 70's, AR was one of the more popular and respected brands. My first stereo speakers were AR-2ax bookshelves and they were very good speakers.

Now, to the speakers your are looking at: They are asking $149/pr and have an MSRP of $250/pr. I think the question you have to ask yourself is, "How well constructed can a pair of floorstanders be that retail for only $250?" By the way, I couldn't find the weight of the speakers anywhere on the JandR advertisement for them or on AR's website. I even downloaded the manual and it wasn't listed in the specs. I could be wrong but I suspect they are made with inexpensive drivers, 1/2" MDF and limited internal bracing. Perhaps others who are more familiar with the speakers can offer better information.

Frankly, I don't think that $149 is going to be enough for a speaker upgrade that will provide you with an increase in SQ.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us