Looking for floor speaker recommendations

Kilaban
Unregistered guest
I have a Yamaha HTR 5730 receiver and Yamaha YST SW010 subwoofer and am looking to get a nice pair of floor speakers. Most of what I listen to is classical, anywhere from light solo stuff to massive symphonic pieces, but I also listen to jazz and modern rock. Wide range of music there I know, but classical is the focus.

I'm looking to spend about $1000 for the pair, but if there would be noticeable gains to spending 500 more I'm open to that also.

Also, should I plan on upgrading my receiver or subwoofer sometime in order to maximize the potential on good floor speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 131
Ohm MicroWalsh Talls (depending on room size)! After spending a full day listening to hi-end systems at the Home Entertainment Expo in NYC, I've learned that my little Ohms can hang with many of the high end speakers out there! These speakers can handle a variety of recordings/music genres - but they really excel with acoustic instruments - classical and jazz!!!

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/ohm/ohm.html
A couple of reviews to give you an idea.

Kilaban
Unregistered guest
Thanks Cornelius, those definitely seem to fit the bill.

However, the wife (upon hearing of my speaker budget) requested I tone down the price a bit :-(

If I were going to spend $750 for the pair, what would be a good choice?

Room size is about 20L x 14w x 8tall.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 201
The Ohm actually starts at 750. The Paradigm Monitor 7 is also in this price range, among other quality loudspeakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
I would also suggest the Vandersteen 1C - they start at $785. Sorry to hear about the budget cut, it's too bad because for just that $250 more you're really getting some amazing speakers that you absolutely will not feel like replacing. If you need one last attempt, show how small and room friendly they are!

Since you have a sub - I'd recommend the Magnepan MMG. I think they're only $550. They're not as easy to place as the Ohms (not many speakers are!) but they will overcome many of the drawbacks so prevelent with sub $1000 floorstanders. Definitely another great classical speaker (with the sub). I'd recommend monitors, but after buying stands you're above the $750 mark.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Oh yeah, Stealth is right about the MicroWalsh Short starting at $750. I tried them but preferred the Talls. The Shorts do sound amazing so they might work for you.

Ask the guys at Ohm if the Shorts are enough for your size room, they might also suggest the P-1 or P-2 for your budget. Just give them a call, they're very helpful and you'll most likely catch John, the designer.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
I've got PSB towers, and can't recommend them enough. The whole image series line sounds great, and fits in your budget. There are stil some of the older Image line speakers left around if you look for them on the web (DMC electronics may still have them), which gives an even bigger discount
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us