What Receiver Matches The Jbl E100's

Anonymous

Ok, so i am a very inexperienced women trying to get my 15 year old son a good receiver.He has a pair of Jbl's as front speakers and he will be getting surround speakers and all that type of stuff. What receiver could match the speakers and bring out all the sound of them. I was thinking of a receiver under $700. He listens to Punk Rock,Hard Rock and some Metal. Your suggestions will be a great help. Thank YOU.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 227
denon 1905 I have an 1804 denon with my jbl spkrs and love it

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 294
in that price range:

Marantz 5500
Harman Kardon 435 or 535
Harman Kardon 635 refurb from Harman Direct
Marantz 8400 new on eBay or uBid

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 28
honestly, i would use a Jap-brand (Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha). the sound from those receivers will complement the jbl's muddiness quite well. I wouldn't go with Harman Kardon simply because the tend to be a warmer receiver and the jbl's wouldn't sound quite right with HK power. Personally, I would go with the Denon 1905, or the Onkyo 702 or 801.

Anonymous

Now, if he were to add more speakers, would these receivers really have enough power or wattage, because the last receiver he had, had about 500 watts on it, and it didnt seem to get these speakers moving. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
They all will, on paper. In tests though, the HK, Marantz and Denon held up far better than the Onkyo. In fact the HK was at the top.

Anonymous

Geeze, theres a lot of complicated stuff. I guess its just not a womens job to do this. Well i narrowed it down to 2 receivers, the Marantz 8400 and the Harmon Kardon 635. Hesitation between the both. which one should be chosen?

Anonymous

Oh, I almost forgot, what about the Yamaha RX-V1500, it seems pretty good to me with the same features.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
I'd stick to the HK and Marantz, if I'm not mistaken they are the two top performers (Denon is the third) in those kinds of independent power tests.

Between the 8400 and 635, I'd probably choose based on price, if there's a significant price difference. Also I'd tend to think the 635 being a very sleek looking design would score higher on the WAF.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 453
She controls the WAF. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
huh? whoops, *which* Anonymous is this anyways? I could've sworn the usual one is male.

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
darn, forgot to re-read the initial post, my bad.

Anonymous

oh, ok, ill get one of the two. Probably the 635. Thanks for the help.

Anonymous

Man just can't make up my mind, what about the Denon AVR-3805.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 41
Honestly, aside from slight differences, all those receivers (HK 635, Denon 3805, Marantz 8400) will power the jbl's quite nicely. I would decide on price. Personally, I've never liked Denon's sound, it's too harsh, I would use a Marantz 8400 if it were my system. You get excellent sound quality, lots of nice features, and a good long life.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us