NAD T-763 slight hiss -- normal? Any fix for lousy video?

pjc
Unregistered guest
Well, having read through all the threads on humming and hissing, I did a little A/B test against my old T-750. When I turn the T-750 on, speakers on, volume all the way down, I can just hear a slight hiss when I put my ear to the speaker. It's amazing.

The 763, in contrast, emits a definite hiss (and hum, 60 Hz I think) which is louder. At about 1 foot away, the hiss sounds about the same as the 0-feet away on the 750. I don't think it's audible from 8 feet away. Is this the dreaded hiss and hum of the 752/753 series? Or is this normal? If it's normal, why on earth would a newer amplifier be _noisier_ than an old one?

I also have a question about the S-Video and composite video. Even with the OSD off, I find the composite (to composite) signal is _vastly_ worse running it through the 763 than through the 750. The black level is way too bright, and the white levels are pretty severely clamped. This is just unbelievable to me. Is there a firmware fix for this? Is it a bad component? Has anyone else seen this?

I figured it might go away if I ran an S-Video cable from the 763 to my TV. Then I saw the atrocious composite-to-S-video conversion that other people have mentioned. It's amazingly grainy. And the grain moves. It's just insanely distracting and awful. Has NAD come up with a fix for this?

I can't believe I'm considering going back to my T-750, which has been flawless.

pjc
Unregistered guest
Following up to my own message, here are some additional data points and issues:

A full system reset didn't fix it. As noted elsewhere, the magic sequence is to press both the "video" and "tone defeat" buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. When you let go of them, you'll see "AH RESET DONE". Then turn the system off with the main switch in back, then turn it back on.

I do see the occasional flash when the video changes, even when the OSD changes from input to input sometimes (when configuring input settings).

Also, in the too-bright blank signal coming from the 763, I can see a little RF noise in the bottom portion of the picture. This kind of noise is probably present in any system, but given the extremely bright black level, it's actually quite obvious even with no video signal. (This noise is visible also with the OSD on.)

The hiss/hum I described goes away if I turn off the speakers or turn the volume knob to -infinity. At -74dB, it comes back with a slight pop (and stays about constant regardless of how high I turn the volume).

And there's a slight pop every time I switch to and from the External 7.1 inputs.

So are any of these normal or are they signs of a real problem?

Username: Blazer

Post Number: 3
pjc
I don't own an NAD so I couldn't tell you if it is "normal." I can tell you that the noise you describe is not "normal" from a quality receiver. Especially one costing $1,200 USD! Good sound or not; software problem or not; I would never put up with (or waste my time with) a product you described. I've heard fantastic NAD receivers but have read many poor threads about them. If I was starting over, I'd go and listen to one NAD. If it didn't sound right, I would't waste my time looking for one that wasn't "broken." That's a JOKE FOR LOSERS WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH THEIR TIME! I'd go to HK, Pioneet Elite, Marantz, Rotel, or Outlaw seperates. Just my opinion dude. Best of luck in your quest.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 16
pjc...I have a T773 and do not experience the pops and noises you mention.

From other's posts on here who have the dreaded "humm" problem this sounds like the defect in question. As it has been stated the noise becomes audible with any increase on the volume at all as well as when changing sound formats and the terms "a popping noise" have been used with it. I would definitely get it checked out.

For my T773 a very slight hiss when I put my ear right up to the speaker with no inputs active. I can't hear it when I stand right in front of the speaker and certainly not at the listening position.

Some say even this isn't normal and others say it's not a problem. I wouldn't have even noticed it if I wasn't checking it out based on posts here.

My previous Yamaha RX-V2092 had a similar white noise hiss that was audible at the listening position with my Paradigms when no inputs were active. Two wrongs don't make a right but this does tell me that the noise I am hearing is NOT unique to NAD at least with my personal system.

I would agree with Blazer that one shouldn't have to put up with sub-par quality when paying over $1000 for a receiver but to others in the market for a receiver I wouldn't discount NAD simply because of some of the complaints posted here.

I honestly almost didn't even test a NAD because of what some posted here. Then I spoke to my local dealer who I know personally and therefore trust and got a different story on NAD quality than what is projected here.

He let me bring a T763 home to try out in my HT and I was immediately sold. This was based on a side by side comparison with a Yamaha RX-V2400. All I can say is I am DEFINITELY GLAD I GAVE NAD A CHANCE.

The other brands blazer mentions are excellent choices to consider also.

I am not saying NAD doesn't have an issue because based on people's real life experiences posted here and some solutions they've apparently implemented there is exposure. I just don't think anyboidy can rightfully quantify how prevelant this problem is based simply on negative posts on a forum.

This forum by nature tends to highlight the negatives of people's experiences because people come here for advice and often to help solve their system problems. My 2 cents which is worth $0.005 in today's exchange rate.

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
On your video question, I haven't experienced any quality issues at all using S-Video to my TV with my T773. I just ordered some component video cables for my DVD and TV so I'm anxious to see if I see an improvement over the S-Video.

pjc
Unregistered guest
JDG, were you passing through S-Video to S-Video? I haven't been able to test that yet, but composite is awful. Composite-to-composite is too bright, and composite-to-S-video has dot crawl from hell.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
My DVD player is currently S-Video to S-Video so YES. I can't speak for composite to composite.

I would definitely recommend upgrading to a component with S-Video output if you can swing it regardless. The video performance is far superior to composite. Good luck.

Username: Hab

Post Number: 3
Bought an NAD 752 recently & am having both hum/hiss, S-Vid problems. Hear a hum/squeel & sometimes even radio stations through all speakers when i connect my sub cable to the sub in on the receiver. I have tried many different cables & filters & have it somewhat solved by using a cheap a/v cable. Just ran an S-Vid cable form the S-Vid monitor out to an S-Vid in on my T.V. & the picture is horrible & the on screen display bleeds. I hate to return it because it sounds so good. Any ideas? And what is frimware?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Paul,
I can't be much help because it sounds like you have some problems. Did you buy your 752 as a refurb or what?

You should certainly address it with your dealer for starters. I have heard others here fix their radio station issues through the sub cable.

As far as firmware, that is basically the code in your system that controls the functions of your unit. Think of it as a computer program, to oversimplify it, which controls all of the hardware functions.

I am not up to speed on the 7x2 models but I think most of the 7x3 models have an rs-232 port on the back which allows easier upgrading of firmware (as well as doing other things) by connecting it to a PC/laptop. Upgrading this without the external port would require a service action I guess.

The NAD's have great sound so I hope you're able to work things out. From what I have heard on this forum there were some humm issues on the 7x2 models but they are fixable.

I hope this helps. Others here probably have some more personal insight.

pjc
Unregistered guest
I talked to my dealer, and he hasn't had enough experience with the 7x3's to know whether what I'm experiencing is normal or fixable. He said I'd be best off contacting NAD directly. How do I contact NAD customer support?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
There should be service numbers in the manual/warranty with your unit to contact. I also believe NAD's website would also have this info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us