Where have the Athenas gone?

Username: Lewtex

Post Number: 1
Finally chose Athena speakers for my home theater - AS-F2's front, AS-C1 center, AS-R1's surround, and AS-P400 sub. Went to Best Buy and the AS-F2 and AS-R1 are "deleted" according to the clerk. Only demos available in all the stores in my area. No more to be ordered! Found the same thing on Audio Advisor - neither speaker is listed on their web page. Other Internet merchants showed the same - out of stock, etc. Anybody know what's going on? The BB clerk said they were probably replacing them with newer models. I really liked these speakers - especially the price!

Bronze Member
Username: Reggie_lives

Post Number: 29
From what i've heard, Athena is replacing them with a new mode. I don't think it's a substantial upgrade....probalby just aesthetics (speculating).

I remember hearing somewhere that they are coming out in a few months, and that Athena didn't think stock would sell out so quickly.

Username: Lewtex

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info - after posting I read also that they are coming out with the AS-F2.2 with only cosmetic changes. Hope the price is right - Best Buy priced the AS-F2's at $179.99 each. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 58
Well, some people don't like the way the AS-F2s look. Personally, I have them and I love them but some different finishes would be a nice option and work better in some decors.
The parent company seems to have also pulled the Energy C series...The local store only has the book shelf speakers...A change coming to be sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 59
I wish they would pull the entire Athena line out of BEST BUY. Yes, you can get them for dirt on sale but many people won't consider them because of the store they are sold by, which is a shame 'cause they are truely great speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 304
I agree with you Rich. I usually saw them poorly set up and lookin' ragged at the Best Buy. They are a well regarded speaker and deserve better than that.

Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 2
Arthur, are we talking hi-fi or low-fi? These are nowhere near Hi-fi.

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 24
Must not have hurt Athena sales too much by being at Best Buy. They depleted their stock of F2's and B2's way earlier than anticipated. When I spoke to an Athena rep in January he said their merchandisers were extremely happy with the product and didn't want any changes in the line. Its darn near impossible to find any of these speakers right now.

I know I'm extremely happy with my B2's, B1's and C1 all for $300 total!!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 306
Paul I own Paradigm Studio 40's but that is no reason to show disrespect to other brands just because they are sold at Best Buy. If you want to get real very few of us on this forum own hi-fi speakers. Most of us live in the very real world of mid fi. Athena's have reviewed very well with several well respected audio publications like "The Absolute Sound" and have a loyal following.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us