Best L-C-R speakers for Pioneer D498

Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 4
I was thinking about trading up my Pioneer D498 which is really only 4 years old this past Christmas and moving on to a mid-fi but now I am thinking about keeping the Pioneer and investing in some decent speakers. I am currently using two Sony SSU590 with no center channel speaker with the Pioneer and it sounds OK. Keep in the mind I got the Sony speakers back in 1988. The best attribute to the Sony speakers is that they are loud when properly powered. So being in high school at the time would explain why I picked them out. I have listened to B@W 704's and 705's at a local HIFI store and liked them allot! However they are iffy about allowing me to try them at home with my curent set up. So before I go off half cocked from brand to brand...is there any advice for a certain speaker that will sound nice with Pioneer products. The B&W 705's to me sounded warmer than the 704's which seemed strange. I will in time add a sub to the system so I am not overly concerned about bass at the moment. I have heard that B&W's are bright on the receiver floor so help a newbie out with other recommended brands. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 80
Hi Britt. Glad you're thinking of moving up a notch with regards to your speakers. I say keep that Pioneer for now and upgrade that later. You'll probably notice a bigger difference upgrading your speakers at this point than your reciever. You didnt' say how much you were looking at spending but I'd like to suggest something that will likely fit your budget.

Perhaps something from the PSB Image lineup http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html or, what I have and love, the Energy Spearker Systems' Connoisseur series. http://www.energy-speakers.com

I'd say track down a local dealer for both and go listen.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 472
Try some Internet-direct brands, they usually will give you a 30 day trial period, you'll just be out the shipping cost. Considering that the few small shops that allow non-defective refunds usually charge a 10-20% restocking fee this isn't so bad, and you will generally get much more value for your money since there's no middleman retail markup.

ascendacoustics.com
aximoaudio.com
aperion.com
av123.com

I think Aperion actually refunds your shipping too; don't know anything about their sound quality.

Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 5
Edster922,
Aperion.com brings up an information technology company. amperion.com also is a dead end. Is the name of the company Aperion or something else? It's cool if you don't know I'll just google around until I can find something out there. I think I remember them being noteworthy for having powered speakers to eliminate the need for a high powered amp. That may be a really good solution for me. 30-day trial would be great as well! Thanks to both of you for the links.

I will try out the PSB speakers as I have only heard them once at a friends house. They were driven by a NAD receiver and sounded very warm. I liked them and they were compact. I need find a speaker that is as good looking as it is sounding. There is a female approval factor that needs to be met and the wife really liked the looks of the B&W line up for the 7 series. So I have to find something that to her looks good and to me sounds great. Wish me luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
It's aperionaudio.com

Good place to reference those 4 brands (but of course take it with a grain of salt too) is audioreviews.com

Lots of reading, but it can help narrow down your choices. What I'd do is go out and listen to as many speakers locally as you can just so you can figure out what type of sound you like, and get some idea of how much things cost. Some dealers may actually agree to allow you to bring in a pair of Internet speakers to compare to their stock.

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
sheesh, my spelling is shot when it comes to websites. It's audioreview.com (no "s").
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us