Speaker / Receiver Match?

Username: Fishhead

Post Number: 1
I've been reading post for a few months now and gathering information.... I'm in the process of finishing my basement and intend on developing a decent HT in a multipurpose family room. I'm still a couple of months from completion but have been watching prices and posts on a couple different boards. A particular deal is driving me to become a poster in addition to reader because I would hate to miss a great deal.

The basics (I've learned this from reading previous posts)
Room 12w x 20L x 8h

My short list of speakers are..
NHT superaudio series SB2's, SC2
PSB Image series 2B's, 9C
Sub choice SVS 20-39 PCi

Shopping options locally are very limited, but I am willing to travel 2-3hrs for a listen. I've heard the PSB's at a local store with a NAD stereo receiver and assume a HT rec would sound as great as this combo. Store owner hasn't proved to be overly interested in dealing or customer service - maybe I need to get $ out before I'm helped or satisfied.

I have not heard the NHT's yet but like the specs and sizes.

My dilema is similar to many others, finding the exact combinations of speakers & receivers in a store that interest me so I can listen to them. There is a great deal on the HK AVR7200 at Onecall now. Many reviews and posts are very positive regarding this receiver. It appears to be an aging (soon to be replaced) flagship receiver in the HK lineup. Probably not all the latest, greatest, up-to-date features, but certainly a very strong contender in todays HT receivers. And one that would probably fit my needs for quite some time.... (I will have to determine if e-shopping for something like this is something I feel comfortable with.)

But my question is, would this match well with either speaker choice? Or do I wait and continue to research because, just like everything, another great deal will come along?

This internet research/shopping thing really takes the fun out of any purchase for me.

Sorry about the long post....

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 371
Brian:

Initially , I am suprised you did not get to hear an NAD HT receiver. Usually, that is the first thing a dealer shows. However, if you heard PSBs driven by an NAD stereo receiver and liked them, I would suggest you will be blown away by an NAD HT receiver because the HT receivers have so much more power. For example, the NAD stereo receiver was no more than a 35 wpc receiver x 2 (that is all they make in a stereo receiver), but their lowest powered HT receiver is 50 wpc x 5! I have no doubt you would be very pleased.

Now, the H/K 7200 is a very good receiver and I have recommended it more times than I can count, and the price at One Call is a real bargain, IMO. However, it is actually a very poor match for either set of speakers you are interested in. The H/K has a very warm and very laid-back sound. Unfortunately, so do those speakers. The resulting system sound is something way too laid back and somewhat unfocused (fuzzy). The NAD is more forward sounding, making it a great choice for PSBs, NHTs and Paradigms. The H/K works much better with a speaker that is somewhat bright and/or forward sounding, like a Klipsch, JMlabs, Monitor Audio Silver, or even the Quad 11Ls.

If you like the NAD sound, either the PSB or the NHTs are a wonderful choice. If you need a referral to an NAD dealer that will give you a better deal, I know of several. I just got my NAD T753 receiver for $795 from Kiefs (www.kiefs.com), So it is just about the same price as the H/K and the 753 is more than enough receiver to drive those speakers you are interested in. Kief's also sells both NHT and PSB lines, and offers nice discounts on both. Now if you really want something special, I priced the NHT SB3s from them for $235 each ($470/pair), and the SB3s are a huge step up sonically from either the SB2s or the PSB Image 2Bs. If you can afford the jump in price, they are well worth it. A better match with the SC2 center speaker, too. SB2s, or even SB1s are all you need for the rear surrounds.

I appreciate the fact that internet shopping is not as much fun as actually going to listen and to actually feel the equipment (for instance, you can tell a lot about the quality of a receiver by turning the volume control knob--if it feels gritty, it is a poor quality pot that will give you trouble later on). However, you also indicate your options locally are limited, so at least you have the option of using the internet to find what you want. Although I would like to buy locally, I also like a dealer to show some price flexibility. Even more, I was troubled by your comment that the dealer didn't seem interested in customer service--gosh, what kind of business does he think he is running?

Oh, well. Let me close by saying that of the speaker systems you are interested in, I would go with an NAD--even a 743 would work in your sized room with the PSBs (~$560 at Kief's) as NAD has a better matching sound for those speakers. A 753 would sound even better, especially with the NHTs which are not as efficient as the PSBs.

Username: Blazer

Post Number: 1
Hawk,
I see you finally made a move on speakers for your new 753. Just curious on what you bought and your thoughts once you've broken them in. Congrats on both purchases and best of luck with them!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 376
Blazer:

Thanks! I have not yet received my speakers yet as they had to be special ordered, but I got Dynaudio 42s--actually, I am going to use three identical Dynaudio 42Cs across the front and a pair of 42Ws for the rear. The 42Cs are mounted across the front wall, with the center speaker right next to and slightly above the TV (our TV sits in an alcove and it is slightly off center). These speakers meet my wife's objective to get the speakers off the floor and I got the quality sound I have really wanted for some time. With a little luck, they will be coming in at the end of this next week. I am very anxious to get them up and running.

I'll post a review once I get everything set up.

Enjoy!

Username: Blazer

Post Number: 2
Hawk,
Fantastic! I know that was one of your first choices (wife considered). My local Dynaudio dealer here in Philly is not carrying the 42s anymore. However he had me listen to the Contour line with an NAD763. I couldn't believe what I was listening to. It put my HK 630/Athena SC3s (Which weren't cheap $700) to shame. No hum from the NAD and the soundstage was miraculous! BTW, what sub are you pairing with your new 42s? My dealer had the Sub 30-A. Nice match.

Username: Fishhead

Post Number: 2
Hawk
Thanks for your honest and informative reply.

{Interesting how many times a post quickly gets hi-jacked once you get on a thread.}

My other receiver choices are;
NAD T753 (like you recommend)
Marantz 64/7400

I want to get down to Chicago (Saturday Audio) to do some A/B listening.

Thanks again, I'm sure I will have more questions as I move forward...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us