Help Needed Designing My System

Username: Guygadois

Post Number: 5
We are in the middle of redoing our family room and it is time to toss the old equipment out and put in the new. I used to have Sony ES AV650 matched with small Paradigm Titans. Now, since I have more space and a bit more money I am going to buy a new receiver and need some help.

Here is my Setup:
Family Room:
- Front Speakers: Paradigm Studio 2
- Center Speakers: Paradigm Studio CC-420
- Woofer: Paradigm PW2100
- Rear (x2): Paradigm CS-160

Dining Room:
- Pair of Klipsch CS-650-R

Living Room:
- Pair of Klipsch CS-650-R

Outside:
- Pair of KLH (cheap) speakers

60/40 (Music/5.1 movies)
Musical taste is adult contemporary
I am looking to spend about $400-800 on a AV receiver

My desire is to be able to play two different inputs between zones. In other words, I want to be able to watch TV through the speakers in the family room and listen to a CD in the other zones. Or, listen to rock on the outside speakers and jazz in the dining room. I also have volume controls in the outside, dining room and living room. The TV area (family room) will only have the main volume (so I don't want to have a problem turning up the volume in the family room and it going up in every other room).

With this setup what would you recommend and why? Also, where is the best place to buy the receiver you recommend?

Post Number: 6
oh, and I forgot to mention that I have an aversion (probably not fair) to Pioneer as I once bought something from them and the quality was shitey. My existing Sony ES is one of the best built receivers I have ever seen (and that is what I am looking for - for the money)

Guy

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 175
Go to ubid.com and do a search for the Marantz 8400 it's being auctioned off brand new right now the lowest bid is around $300 so by the time the auction ends next Monday my guess is you'll be paying closer to $600 for a receiver that normally goes for closer to $1400.

Or you can buy a Marantz 5500 for $600 shipped from hifi.com which is an authorized Marantz dealer. I think it does have 2-room capability, though people usually report that the second room output of most receivers usually is not very good.

Actually what you're describing sounds more like THREE room capability---I would be very surprised if you could get that at this pricepoint, if such a thing even exists.

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 40
Edster makes a good point. 3 rooms for that price, I don't think it exists either.

If you are happy with your Sony, check out their digital ES line. You should be able to find the DA2000ES in your price range and I have even seen the DA3000ES for 599.99 at www.etronics.com from time to time.

Good Luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 30
Or you might try to get the Denon 3805 for around $800. It has the 3 room capability, a real amp and great DAC's. I just got one and am learning about it...so far very pleased. The video interface is pretty easy to understand, but not as slick as the new Yamaha 2500's. But both of these receivers are pushing your budget limit. I got the Denon on eBay for $845 delivered from a authorized dealer with a valid warranty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Correct me if I am wrong but the Denon 3805 does have a third room PRE-AMP output but you still need an Amp for the third room. I believe it does not have an AMP for the third room. Also, where are you finding it for $800????

I should note that I conside my setup a three zone setup as the Dining room and Living room will ALWAY be playing the same music since they are ajoining rooms.

Anyone else have any ideas on what I can/should do here?

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Guy,

> the Dining room and Living room will ALWAY be playing the same music since they are ajoining rooms.

in that case you might consider buying 2 receivers, a 2-zone AVR for the Family room HT and use the second-room capability for your outside speakers. Then a second receiver with two-zone capability for the LR and DR, heck it can even be a stereo receiver instead of an AV receiver. Both receivers together should keep you under $800.

For the AVR I'd look at the pure-digital Panasonic sa-xr55 that's going to be out in a couple of weeks, you can pre-order it at jandr.com for just $250. Go to audiocircle.com, hometheaterforum.com, and avsforum.com for huge threads on these pure digital receivers, about 90% raves.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
oops, not sure if the Panny has 2-zone capability though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us