More than 2 speakers on 1 channel

Username: Cciesliga

Post Number: 1
Greetings all,

Here is my dilemna. I have a friend who just got a Denon 1705 Receiver. He has the B channel connected to outside speakers. The A channel is connected to the 5.1 speaker system in his living room. He would also like to be able to connect a pair of speakers upstairs.

The impedance values listed on the Denon are: Front A or B 6~16ohms, Front A & B 12/16ohms. The speakers on the A channel have impedance ratings of 8-ohm nominal, 4-ohm minimum. The outdoor speakers (B channel) are an older Bose model (not sure the impedance ratings on them).

My original thought was to have the upstairs speakers connected parallel to the A channel. After thinking about it some more, I began to worry about the impedance being to low and causing damage to the speakers or the receiver.

I haven't hooked anything up in this type of configuration before, so I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this. If he gets some 8-ohm speakers for upstairs, with the parallel hookup, he gets 4-ohm load, which is lower than the receivers rating. With a serial hookup, he gets 16-ohm, which is within the rating for A only. If he trys to run B channel also, he's exceeded the rating.

(1)Is this idea of connecting 4 speakers to the A channel a crazy idea that shouldn't be done or could it work, without sounding horrible, if the speakers are wired correctly?

(2)Is there a device I can insert off the A channel that will allow for multiple speaker hookup without degrading sound quality or risk damage?

(3)Any other ideas or suggestions for how to solve this problem?

If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks!
chris.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us