Cayin 17A or Nad542 for Pioneer1015/Ascend system?

Bronze Member
Username: Erik

Post Number: 17
So I just got this ascend LCR system with a Pioneer 1015 reciever and am looking for a good CD player to go with it. I posted a similar question in the CDPlayer forum but the help I got in here when chooseing speakers was alot better so I decided to ask you guys. Ive heard really good things about this Cayin17A and the Nad542 but am not sure which one to get. The cayin looks really attractive but its hard to find those who carry it and I think it might be a few hundred dollars more. Are these CD players worth the money for the kind of speaker/reciever system I bought? Will these CD players still be able to run at Full potential with an average 1015 reciever? I am looking for a recorder and DVD player as well but it seems Im gonna have to buy each piece of equipment seperately to get the best in each fucntion. Im gonna skimp out on the DVD player I guess but I want a good CD recorder/Player for under $600. Can anybody help me out?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 282
With your Pioneer receiver I think that either of those CD players are overkill. At that level you should look at a universal player. Both Denon and Marantz make one near your budgeted price. The Denon DVD2910 has HDMI and DVI which if you have an HDTV could be a clincher. There are also other less expensive universals but the sacrifice in redbook cd playback quality would be great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
overkill as not functioning to the proper capacity or overkill relative to the level of system I already have? WIll these CD players not produce the sound they are supposed to because of the low(er)grade reciever/speakers?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 283
The latter is sort of correct. The CD players will perform just fine you just won't hear it.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 158
its not because of the speakers, its because of the reciever. Ascends are outstanding speakers. You need more than pioneer (pioneer ELITE at a minimum) to do them justice. Stepping up to seperates will let you see for yourself just what these marvelous speakers can do.

For recievers, as well as integrateds and seperates, I recomend Rotel. They are a really outstanding product in every way for their price point.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 284
Gavin is correct, Ascend's are good speaker's with a loyal following. The receiver is the culprit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Man I just keep upgrading and upgrading---maybe Ill trade in my 1015 for a better reciever once it comes. I thought that Pioneer was pretty good but I guess you can always go better

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 21
Thats the big joke of hi-fi Erik. You can upgrade till youre broke and someone would still say your system sucked for some reason or another. If the system sounds good to you, be happy with it. Upgraditis is a terrible disease. Fortunately it can be avoided for speakers at least with the purchase of GMA Europas because no better speaker exists.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
ignore maui

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Why is that Gavin? Do you believe that there is a receiver/amplifier/speaker/anything else out there that everyone will hail as perfect? Poor Erik hasn't even gotten his receiver yet and you are already telling him its garbage and that he needs to upgrade.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Then again, you're the same guy who went into a thread about $70 a pair speakers and told everyone how crappy they were and how they needed Magnepans.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Maui----nobody has said my reciever is garbage....Gavin was just saying the Cayin17a or Nad542 wouldnt work at full potential when using a 1015 Pioneer. Atleast thats the way I interpretted it. I would appreciate your input on the matter at hand but it seems like you are trying to spin off another GMA speaker debate off this. The Ascends is what I have and is what I am sticking with as of now...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Subtract the GMA thing from my post then. Who is Gavin to tell you that you definately wont notice a difference between a 50 dollar Sony and a 600 dollar Denon on your Pioneer? Who is he to tell you that you need at least a Pioneer Elite to do your speakers justice? Try it yourself and decide.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
um... I never said that he won't notice the difference.

all I said was that to notice the FULL POTENTIAL you need to have quality seperates. you might want to re-read the posts.

and you are right that I said that those $70 speakers were garbage, but never said anyone needed maggies, but told someone that liked maggies but wanted speakers with balls to look at the ML mosaic, which is essentially a maggie type driver (not ESL) with a woofer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
I said "ignore maui" simply because he isnt up to changing his speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 278
you also know that the registered maui is a fake right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
yes

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Then you know the GMA thing was a joke?

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
yes