Another question on ohms matching speakers and receiver

xyz
Unregistered guest
Apologies in advance for this very basic question. I have recently acquired two very nice Canton speakers 4-8 ohm. I am wondering whether I could temporarily connect them to a very old portable JVC 6 ohm integrated stereo system (replacing its removable 6 ohm speakers).

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 439
Yep.

xyz
Unregistered guest
Thanks!

LSim
Unregistered guest
To any audiophile:

Can I use my Sony str-de 925 receiver(has 4/8 ohm swtich) with 6ohms imped. speakers?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 101
Yes L Sim the Sony should be able to handle 6Ohm impedence speakers. The only way to know for sure is to connect them to the receiver and turn the volume up to a loud volume. If you hear little distortion at a fairly high volume and the receiver does not go into protection mode, then it's fair to say that the speaker will work with the receiver. Set the impedence switch to the 8Ohm position,this way the receiver will not limit it's power delivery. If you set it to the 4 Ohm position it will protect the amplifier better but the amplifier will clamp down on it's voltage and current delivery and thus you will have half the volume and performance that the receiver is capable of. E.Ramsey
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us