NAD T762 Set-Up Question

Username: Jmusante

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I couple of days ago I ordered my myself up a T762 that was refurbished from DMC-Electronics (Killer deal: $750!!) It was time for me to check out the whole surround sound scene. Having a bunch of Concert DVDs that I wanted to hear how they were actually mixed.

As it stands right now I have two Paradigm Mini-Monitors, two Paradigm Titans and a PDR-8 sub. I was (still am for the time being using a B&K PT-3 preamp and an older Parasound amp). I was able to hook up both sets of speakers to this amp as it has double binding posts and use my sub as the B&K has a subwoofer out. I think this setup had great stereo sound but does not give me the surround options that I will want on occasion.

My question is: Will I be able to listen to all four of my speakers and my sub in stereo until I scrounge up enough money to get a Paradigm CC-270? I'm a little new to the surround reciver world so bear with me if this is a dumb question

If anyone with this or another NAD unit knows I would appreciate any info you have.

Thanks,
Jason

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 18
Jason,

I'm a little confused by your question but someone else here might be in tune.

True stereo sound would only be coming through your 2 front channel speakers. The use of the center channel is typically used for surround sound formats in a home theatre such as 5.1, 6.1 etc. or SACD/DVD-Audio.

There are pseudo sound formats that take stereo sound and distribute it out to other speakers in the system including the center channel such as Matrix 7.1, I think Neo 6 does this for stereo music (not sure what the T762 has because I'm more familiar with the newer 7x3 line).

So I guess in short if I understand your question you should not need the center channel for stereo music sound if that's your question.

However, you would not be able to utilze the home theater aspect of 5.1 without the center channel speaker. Put a DVD in this mode without the center channel speaker and you would hear virtually no vocals at all...I think.

I don't think you'd lose much if anything with the pseudo surround modes (Matrix 7.1 for example) without the center ch. speaker because these are not discrete channel sound formats. The simply take stereo sound and distribute it out to the other speakers.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Jason,

I'm a little confused by your question but someone else here might be in tune.

True stereo sound would only be coming through your 2 front channel speakers. The use of the center channel is typically used for surround sound formats in a home theatre such as 5.1, 6.1 etc. or SACD/DVD-Audio.

There are pseudo sound formats that take stereo sound and distribute it out to other speakers in the system including the center channel such as Matrix 7.1, I think Neo 6 does this for stereo music (not sure what the T762 has because I'm more familiar with the newer 7x3 line).

So I guess in short if I understand your question you should not need the center channel for stereo music sound if that's your question.

However, you would not be able to utilze the home theater aspect of 5.1 without the center channel speaker. Put a DVD in this mode without the center channel speaker and you would hear virtually no vocals at all...I think.

I don't think you'd lose much if anything with the pseudo surround modes (Matrix 7.1 for example) without the center ch. speaker because these are not discrete channel sound formats. The simply take stereo sound and distribute it out to the other speakers.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 378
Jason:

Like JDG, I am a bit confused by what you are asking as well. Still, I think what you are trying to ask is whether you need a center speaker for surround sound? The answer to that question is NO.

You can set up your system without a center speaker, simply by setting the center speaker to "None" instead or Large or Small. By setting the center speaker's value to None, the receiver will not send a signal to those outputs, but will process the signal for full surround sound. Later, when you do get your center speaker, simply change the receiver's programming by going to set-up and changing the center speaker's value from None to Small.

If, however, you meant whether you can use both pair of speakers for stereo sound, that is also an affirmative. If all you want is stereo (two channel) sound, simply hook up one pair of speakers to the A front speaker connections and the other pair to the B speaker connections. But I would be very surprised if all you want is stereo. I think when you said "stereo", you really meant surround sound. So, instead, I would connect the Mini-monitors as your front mains and your Titans as your rear surrounds, with the no center speaker (for the time being).

BTW, that is a great price on the 762! I wish I had known about it. Congrats.

Post Number: 3
JDG & Hawk,

Thanks for answering. For the time being I am talking about stereo. 90% of what I listen to is in stereo. I understand that traditional 2 channel stereo is used with 2 speakers. With my current set up I have the four speakers hooked up to the amp along with the sub (The amp has double binding posts). I figured that I would be able to hook the Titans up to the "B" speakers.

I guess what I should have been asking is can I hook them up to the rear surrounds and get them to work in stereo. One of the reasons I chose this receiver, outside of the great sound & value, was the second zone capabilites. I want to add a third pair of speakers to a different part of the house somewhere down the line. I was just wondering if the T762 had some sort of processing that would let me use the second set of speakers with out taking up my Zone B posts.

Also, thanks for the info on the surround. I figured I would have to wait for the center.

Jason

Post Number: 4
BTW

Does anyone think that the T762 will be too much power for the speakers that I will be running (Paradigm Mini Monitors & Titans)? Just wondering how anyone thinks they will pair with the NAD.

Thanks again,
Jason

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Hawk,

Are you saying that if you are listening to a DVD in Dolby Digital for example and set the center channel to off, that the sound that would normally go to the center ch. is distributed to other channels or did I misunderstand you? This is good to know if so.

If so, is it selective where it distributes it such as to the fronts or what?

Jason - You can do as Hawk suggests and also you could connect them to the rears and in a pseudo surround format (Matrix 7.1 for example and I think Neo 6 as another example) it should distribute the sound to the fronts as well as the speakers connected to the rears.

I use my T773 for my TV audio which at best is stereo and I personally prefer matrix 7.1 because it puts the sound in all of my speakers. I like it better than all of the sound coming out my fronts but this is just my preference.

You certainly have a lot of room to grow in relative to speakers with the 762 but I wouldn't think it's "too much" per se'. You can set the speaker size according to yours. It depends on the size of your room too as to how satisfied you'll be. I think you'll probably like it fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this hawk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us